Thanksgiving Day

Sabiney

Have you visited St Thomas/St Johns on Thanksgiving Day? I was really excited about spending it on an island until I realized it would be a USVI.

I just heard back from a second Captain (3 boats total) that they will not be running their charters on Thanksgiving Day. Well, one said that they would for the right amount of money. Too steep for my pockets. :rolleyes:

What's St Thomas/St Johns like on Thanksgiving Day? Are most of the shops open? How crowded is the beach with both locals and cruise passengers? Does the ferry to St Johns run on it's usual schedule?

Pat

If there are ships in, the shops will be open. The ferries run every day. They only stop for weather-related issues. Not sure why charter boats wouldn't run, unless they want to make sure they run full?

Sure, locals will be at the beach. Lots of people like to have picnics.You might even get invited for a taste! ;)

Have you visited St Thomas/St Johns on Thanksgiving Day? I was really excited about spending it on an island until I realized it would be a USVI.

I just heard back from a second Captain (3 boats total) that they will not be running their charters on Thanksgiving Day. Well, one said that they would for the right amount of money. Too steep for my pockets. :rolleyes:

What's St Thomas/St Johns like on Thanksgiving Day? Are most of the shops open? How crowded is the beach with both locals and cruise passengers? Does the ferry to St Johns run on it's usual schedule?

Pat

Our family went on a Thanksgiving cruise 5 years ago. And we are doing it again this year. It is not what you may think. For everyone on the cruise ship and the island you are visiting it is just a Thursday. For us it is Thanksgiving, but for everyone else it is just another cruise day.

Paul

Our family went on a Thanksgiving cruise 5 years ago. And we are doing it again this year. It is not what you may think. For everyone on the cruise ship and the island you are visiting it is just a Thursday. For us it is Thanksgiving, but for everyone else it is just another cruise day.

Paul

Thanks Paul! It's good to hear first hand info and if you're repeating again this year, even better. I was confident that there would not be a problem until I started getting the responses from the different Captains. :confused:

Did y'all go to a beach and if so, any suggestions?

Pat

Well, The US Virgins DO celebrate Thanksgiving. But, cruise ships are the life's blood for many businesses, so they will be open. You may find Thanksgiving meals being provided for the homeless, the restaurants will have specials, and lots of folks will gather to watch Turkey Day football!

Thanks Paul! It's good to hear first hand info and if you're repeating again this year, even better. I was confident that there would not be a problem until I started getting the responses from the different Captains. :confused:

Did y'all go to a beach and if so, any suggestions?

Pat

We were in Antigua on Thanksgiving and we did a tour. It was very enjoyable, but it felt like any other day on a cruise ship. Remember, outside of the U.S. Thanksgiving has no meaning. All the days seem the same on a cruise. If you were at home you would be celebrating Thanksgiving, but on the cruise it is just another day. But, you are still on a cruise! So enjoy the moment. Plan an excursion if you are on an island and enjoy the day.

Paul

Archived