Norovirus type infections on Boudicca

[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR][COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Black]I Quote the following from an e-mail I received from one of your staff a few weeks ago regarding Boudicca and the ongoing infections that had been present at the time over a number of cruises (I was told some of the infections were norovirus).[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]'We believe we have finally established why, even despite all previous efforts, that this particular ship’s passengers have been infected in greater numbers and with more frequency than others of late'[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Black"]As far as I am aware there have been no further reports of widescale infections on the ship, so can you please advise if it is felt that the cause has finally been found and, if so, would you consider informing us of that cause. If there has been an identifiable cause, then I would be much more confident on booking Boudicca in the future and I suspect other people would feel the same.[/COLOR]

Thank you for your comment and question. Unfortunately, if an outbreak occurs, the circumstances will be individual to that specific event, so it would be pre-emptive to state that we have established a reason why certain ships manifest certain symptoms – we apologise that you were given this erroneous advice in a previous e-mail.

We would not be able to suggest any definitive reason as to why the level of outbreak on Boudicca has been more frequent than our other ships. However, the virus is known as the ‘Winter Vomiting Virus’ and Boudicca spent more of the early part of the year in colder climates than our other ships.

Our protocols are excellent and all our crew members are extremely well-versed in how to deal with Norovirus. We also give out plenty of information on ways to avoid it – the main one being frequent and thorough hand-washing and personal hygiene.

Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines' ships meet, at all times, the highest safety, hygiene and health standards, and comply fully with the strict requirements and inspections of their Flag State and relevant authorities. The health, safety and well-being of our guests and crew on board remains our priority at all times.

Archived