Independence - Cabin 9704 ?

We were in E1 Cabin 7708 (end aft cabin facing the wake) for only 2 persons. This cabin had a HUGE balcony.

Yesterday, I tried to get the same cabin and they told me it was for more than 2. They suggested E2 cabin 9704 (end aft cabin facing the wake) for 2 which I booked.

I find all the cabins are roughly the same size, I am looking for a HUGE balcony facing the wake, the end cabin's balcony are usually bigger.

On RC webpage, under description of cabins E2 it states "cabin 8410, 8710, 9404 and 9704 have single door with window & limited ocean view".

I understand single door with window instead of the normal double sliding door BUT what is limited ocean view?

I called RC and the rep did not have this description on their records and had to go through RC website to see it. She could not understand why the reps did not have this information on their computers to help the customers.

Has anybody been in this cabin before?

Should I keep this cabin?

We had cabin 9404 on Independence which is at the opposite end of the one that you booked. It had an oddly shaped balcony but it did have 2 loungers, 2 chairs and a small table. However, I think that it really only had room for 1 lounger. The limited view is probably because of the ships superstructure but you can see the water.

We were in E1 Cabin 7708 (end aft cabin facing the wake) for only 2 persons. This cabin had a HUGE balcony.

Yesterday, I tried to get the same cabin and they told me it was for more than 2. They suggested E2 cabin 9704 (end aft cabin facing the wake) for 2 which I booked.

Huh??? They would not let you book 7708 because it is for more than 2 people? Sure, it has one of those drop down beds from the ceiling, and CAN sleep 3- but they really denied you that cabin?

We booked 7708 on the Indy in March, and had no issues.

Huh??? They would not let you book 7708 because it is for more than 2 people? Sure, it has one of those drop down beds from the ceiling, and CAN sleep 3- but they really denied you that cabin?

We booked 7708 on the Indy in March, and had no issues.

I booked directly with RC in June 2012 for March 2013. I wanted 7708, first she said No, it is for 3 or more and then said wait a moment and she was able to get 7708 for 2. Great balcony.

So, I wanted this same cabin for March 2015, RC agent and RC website both would not accept this cabin for 2. They are probably waiting to see if someone wants this cabin for 3 before releasing it for 2.

RC agent suggested 9704. Most of the aft cabins are for more than 2.

Yesterday, I tried to get the same cabin and they told me it was for more than 2.

Not exactly kosher, but you could book the original cabin with a fake third person (use your goldfish's name if you have to! LOL). Then just cancel the third person just before final payment. You will have to pay for an extra deposit now, but it would be worth it to get the cabin you want.

I think it's ridiculous for them to dictate a minimum number for any room that doesn't have regular beds for each passenger. I understand things like the family-size rooms where there are actual beds to be filled, but to mandate someone MUST sleep in a pull-down or sofa bed is just insane, IMO.

I booked directly with RC in June 2012 for March 2013. I wanted 7708, first she said No, it is for 3 or more and then said wait a moment and she was able to get 7708 for 2. Great balcony.

So, I wanted this same cabin for March 2015, RC agent and RC website both would not accept this cabin for 2. They are probably waiting to see if someone wants this cabin for 3 before releasing it for 2.

RC agent suggested 9704. Most of the aft cabins are for more than 2.

I'm not calling you a liar, or that agent wrong, but I have not ever heard of this. A lot of cabins hold 3 people, but I've never heard of them denying a reservation for 2. 7708 is a coveted cabin!

Has anybody been in both 9704 or 7708 balconies?

9704 is a E2, with single door and small window, with bean on balcony

7708 is a E1, with double door, with bean on balcony, would be able $30 more per person (not a lot to make much of a difference in price)

Which cabin would you pick?

Has anybody been in both 9704 or 7708 balconies?

9704 is a E2, with single door and small window, with bean on balcony

7708 is a E1, with double door, with bean on balcony, would be able $30 more per person (not a lot to make much of a difference in price)

Which cabin would you pick?

Not even CLOSE... 7708 is by FAR the better balcony. It's the largest on the ship except for the presidential suites. Deck 7 is Private (decks above do NOT look down onto your balcony).

Freedom_aft_balconies.jpg

Can I also say that the "port hole" on your balcony is very cool. Looks right to the water without any superstructure.

But, I think you said you have been on that balcony, right? I would snap it up in a SECOND if I saw it become available on my cruise.

Toddcan,

We were on the Independence March 16, 2013 in cabin 7708. I believe you were in 7708 the cruise before us and left something in the safe for me.

We loved the balcony. We would come back to it after it got too crowded in the pool area.

I have book 7708 for March break 2015.

I booked 7408 on Freedom for February 2014 in October 2013 originally only for 2 people, I had no problem booking the room.

Lucky it does sleep 3, as my daughter decided that she now wants to accompany us on the cruise, so we changed the number to 3 people sharing. I would have been very upset if I had had to surrender the room and found a different one - phew :D

Looking forward to putting the balcony to good use, it our first aft balcony.

Jo

I find all the cabins are roughly the same size, I am looking for a HUGE balcony facing the wake, the end cabin's balcony are usually bigger.

On RC webpage, under description of cabins E2 it states "cabin 8410, 8710, 9404 and 9704 have single door with window & limited ocean view".

I understand single door with window instead of the normal double sliding door BUT what is limited ocean view?

I called RC and the rep did not have this description on their records and had to go through RC website to see it. She could not understand why the reps did not have this information on their computers to help the customers.

My wife and I were in 9704 on Indy last Dec.

I would keep the room.

If you email me and put Cruisecritic in subject, I will send you some pictures.

Toddcan,

We were on the Independence March 16, 2013 in cabin 7708. I believe you were in 7708 the cruise before us and left something in the safe for me.

We loved the balcony. We would come back to it after it got too crowded in the pool area.

I have book 7708 for March break 2015.

Ah right! That was you. Yes, we left a bottle of wrinkle release in the safe :)

I too have been looking for aft balconies, and I am not sure pick 9704. I think I would rather have a hump than that one. 9704 balcony just looks odd, and too open, and not private (I believe deck 10 looks down on half the balcony?)

The balcony has a beam. Cuts some of the balcony space.

Archived