Any "beach" at Maho in September?

GreytRacer

Our friends were at Maho mid-Sept a few years ago and there wasn't any beach (the water came right up to the beach bar area). They were told this happens every September, due to the tides.

We will be in St Martin in late Sept and were wondering if that would be the case that late in the month or if it's dependent on the hurricanes/tropical storms and varies from year to year?

Thanks!

Our friends were at Maho mid-Sept a few years ago and there wasn't any beach (the water came right up to the beach bar area). They were told this happens every September, due to the tides.

We will be in St Martin in late Sept and were wondering if that would be the case that late in the month or if it's dependent on the hurricanes/tropical storms and varies from year to year?

Thanks!

Winner, winner, Chicken Dinner!

I thought I posted a response to a similar question a while ago, but can't find it. After the earlier question I saved some links to photos of planes landing over Maho during September.

Here are some of them: (Number 9 is special)

gary

Thanks!

Tides are always at their highest and lowest around the equinoxes. So, in late September you might have very little beach at Maho at high tide, but six hours earlier or later, at low tide, you would have more beach than usual. Same thing happens in late March.

I just checked the tide tables for September 20. Low tide should be about 2:45 PM. So, if you are determined to watch the planes, plan it around then, rather than close to 8:45 AM - when the high tide will give you less beach.

Of course, heavy wave action from wind out of the south could also impact usable beach area.

Thanks to both Gary and navybankerteacher for the info!

We will be there Sept 28th, from 7am - 5pm, so I'll have to check and see what's happening that day.

What beach would you suggest to spend the morning at, near Maho, before we head over to watch the planes in the afternoon?

Thanks again!

If you're going to Maho for the planes, then I'd pay more attention to the flight schedules than the tide tables. :)

Mullet Bay Beach is adjacent to Maho and is wonderful.

gary

Perfect! Thanks! We will plan on both Mullet Bay Beach and Maho.

I don't see a way to change the date on the flight schedule. Are most Saturdays the same, so I can get an idea prior to us going, what to expect? I had read that the larger planes come in in the afternoon.

Yes, just check on Saturdays as you get close to sailing.

I think you'll find the most action from just before noon until 2:30 or so.

I highly recommend being out of the Maho area by 3:00 at the latest to avoid problems with traffic.

gary

• 1 month later...
Yes, just check on Saturdays as you get close to sailing.

I think you'll find the most action from just before noon until 2:30 or so.

I highly recommend being out of the Maho area by 3:00 at the latest to avoid problems with traffic.

gary

What time would you recommend we head back to the ship from Maho if we are the only ship in port on a Saturday (sail away is 5pm)?

There are lots of timeshare/hotel guests that stay in the area between the airport and the pier and Sarurday is a busy day for checking-in. Especially in high season Dec-end of April I personally would give myself 2 good hours to get back from Maho if I had a 4:30 all- aboard time and 2 and a half hours or more if I had a 5:30 all-aboard time.

Archived