Global Phone Cards

PurpleCow

Has anyone purchased a global phone card to use while in port? I'm leaving DH ar home and like to check in with him daily. Phone from ship is more than $9.00 per minute. :eek: He's not great with email, but I'm going to try to get him at least conversant with it before I leave. The global phone cards are very reasonable and would be a good solution. This is for an upcoming Eastern Mediterranean cruise.

Phone cards purchased here in the states don't work in most foreign phones. You have to purchase phone cards in each of the countries you're visiting and then find phones that will accept cards.

There are some you can purchase online. You don't get a physical card, but a number and a PIN by email. I've found one that works in many east European cities. I wanted to know how friendly the pay phones are in foreign countries. My question is, really, if anyone has used any of them. It's inexpensive enough to purchase 20 minutes or so to try it out and the "cards" are refillable online. Even though my cell phone carrier (Cingular) has pretty reasonable rates for calling from Europe, my phone isn't configured to do this so I'd have to buy a new phone. That's probably the best thing to do, I guess. Customers who were previously ATT can purchase a new plan and phone without penalty even if their present ATT plan isn't up for renewal, so I could take advantage of that and the phone probably wouldn't cost TOO much. I know I won't be able to call at sea, but in most ports I could.

That's exactly what I did---upgrade my cell to an international cell phone. You need a triband phone to access the European satellites and it really is inexpensive. You can also rent an interntational cell phone from companies like Roadpost. Their rates are quite good, I think it's like $1.95 a minute from most European countries.

I'll stop by Cingular tomorrow. I know there won't be access in all the Eastern Mediterranean ports, but at least a few will be available. Cingular's rate is very good, usually 30 cents a minute and pay as you go. It will give me better coverage stateside, too. The only other way to go is a satellite phone, and that just ain't happenin'!

Archived