Pride or Fantasy?

IMKTDQT810

Hi I'm Kathy and I'm the MOST indecisive person when it comes to picking a cruise out (all, chime in, HI KATHY). No, but seriously. I posted about a 5 day vs a 7 day because of budget and we were 1st thinking of going Pride but did research and was not sure of the décor. (We live in WV and want to drive to the port. So options are 5 hrs north to Baltimore or 7 hrs south to Charleston). I did my research on Fantasy and really liked the ship. Both itineraries are the same along with the prices (not much off). SO, I got a lot of private messages telling me not to knock the Pride. That yes, it is rich and royal with a lot of tastefully décor that we SHOULD do that ship b/c it is something different. All the newer and bigger ships are open so in the future we will have our pick of "open concept". My comparison (if I take décor and open out) is that the Pride offers more pools. What else (if you have been on one or both of these ships) do you think would help me with my teeter-totter choosing. Thanks....I think I need a group hug now!

Hi I'm Kathy and I'm the MOST indecisive person when it comes to picking a cruise out (all, chime in, HI KATHY). No, but seriously. I posted about a 5 day vs a 7 day because of budget and we were 1st thinking of going Pride but did research and was not sure of the décor. (We live in WV and want to drive to the port. So options are 5 hrs north to Baltimore or 7 hrs south to Charleston). I did my research on Fantasy and really liked the ship. Both itineraries are the same along with the prices (not much off). SO, I got a lot of private messages telling me not to knock the Pride. That yes, it is rich and royal with a lot of tastefully décor that we SHOULD do that ship b/c it is something different. All the newer and bigger ships are open so in the future we will have our pick of "open concept". My comparison (if I take décor and open out) is that the Pride offers more pools. What else (if you have been on one or both of these ships) do you think would help me with my teeter-totter choosing. Thanks....I think I need a group hug now!

Hi, Kathy.....

I always look at the size of the ship R/T the number of passengers max. (I know it is more complicated than that, but that is a good starting point.) Pride is a little larger, PAX count very close. Pride has a few more bells and whistles.

I would pick the Pride. Why do you care about decor? All cruise ships look like Viva Las Vegas anyway. :)

I've sailed out of both ports in the last few years & there's not really much difference between the ships. The Pride is a bit newer & larger with a few more bells & whistles, but they are much more similar than not. The décor really is not a factor for me.....I just don't notice stuff like that.

For me the difference is the ride. Leaving from Baltimore the captain is sailing full speed to get to the Bahamas and sometimes that makes for a rough ride thru the graveyard of the atlantic. Leaving from Charleston it's not too far to the Bahamas so the captain cruises at a much slower speed making a nice smooth ride.

Pride will leave in 2014... It seems the Fantasy will stay put for a while. With similar drive times, same ports I would consider doing the Pride while it's available and book another cruise on the Fantasy for later next year! Best of both.

As for the cruise/trip... I agree the Pride is going to be hitting it hard. What time of the year are you going?

I would pick the Pride, because of the size and layout of the ship, plus the more days aboard the better for me. I just like these ships better than the Fantasy class. That being said, I'm sailing in Sept on a B2B on the Fantasy, and in Dec on the Legend, same class as Pride. Legend is my all-time-favorite ship, and I'm sure I will like the Pride just as much when it moves to Tampa next year.

Thanks for the feedback so far. We will be sailing either the 1st or 2nd week in July for DH 40th BD. If we decide on a 5 day (due to $) then we know it will be Fantasy since they offer the 5 day. I'm not booking until Jan/Feb of next year and I was hoping by then the prices would be down a bit to make the 5 vs 7 day money factor out of play.

I never thought about a smoother sail out of SC. If we go out of Baltimore we would prolly drive it that morning the day of sailing. Not something I have ever done in the past, but we are a family that is up every day (without fail) by 6 am. So I don't think I would have an issue with the 5 hr drive the same day as departure. If we leave out of SC then the game plan is to leave the day prior, stay at a Cruise & Park hotel (which again...adds to the budget) but drive home the same day we disembark.

Thanks for the feedback so far. We will be sailing either the 1st or 2nd week in July for DH 40th BD. If we decide on a 5 day (due to $) then we know it will be Fantasy since they offer the 5 day. I'm not booking until Jan/Feb of next year and I was hoping by then the prices would be down a bit to make the 5 vs 7 day money factor out of play.

I never thought about a smoother sail out of SC. If we go out of Baltimore we would prolly drive it that morning the day of sailing. Not something I have ever done in the past, but we are a family that is up every day (without fail) by 6 am. So I don't think I would have an issue with the 5 hr drive the same day as departure. If we leave out of SC then the game plan is to leave the day prior, stay at a Cruise & Park hotel (which again...adds to the budget) but drive home the same day we disembark.

Hotels at that timeframe in Charleston will be expensive and booked up. If it's the first week with the 4th around (just looked and departs 2nd and 7th) I would book rooms asap... Also coming down on the 6th may be a nightmare with people traveling home after the 4th vacation. The 1st would not be as bad but again lots of people traveling for vacation. Charleston sees a major influx for that vacation and I-95 can be a parking lot on the Sunday after the 4th.

There is a cruise out of Baltimore on the 13th that goes to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Freeport. I would much rather do that than Nassau/Freeport and no 4th traffic!

DH's BD is July 10th...we were going to do it the weekend after his BD (sail the 12th or 13th) since we plan on inviting Friends & Family to sail and a lot of them have BBQ's and such the 4th. But we are not getting much positive feedback from them when we mention the cruise. No on in has family has sailed before so they don't see the reason for the "Birthday Cruise excitement". So then we thought if we left the 5th or 6th of July we would be ON the ship for his BD and it would give us one more day (Friday the 4th) for packing etc. That is where we are in between the two weeks.

Pick the Pride because the cruise is longer.

I usually agree with you but this time I don't. Lol pick the fantasy. Especially if decor is a factor. She has the most subdued decor of the fantasy class. Google carnival fantasy promenade deck. You can tell how much more simple it looks compared to some of joe farcus' other ships. She is the oldest but is a great ship. She has a southern girl as the cruise director, Risa Barnes. She one of the sweetest kindest woman you will ever meet. Great crew. The fantasy also has a better waterworks then pride. The only thing she lacks that the pride has is, balconies,steak house, and is a tad smaller.

I like Fantasy better than the Pride only when I am bringing kids along. Fantasy has the waterworks up on deck with the twister slide and the racer slides. We have a blast up there!

That being said, if it's a choice between a 5 day cruise and a 7 day cruise for the same price.. then I'm taking the 7 day!

I love the piano bar on the Pride and they have a more updated ship. I think she's beautifully done.. décor and all!

DH's BD is July 10th...we were going to do it the weekend after his BD (sail the 12th or 13th) since we plan on inviting Friends & Family to sail and a lot of them have BBQ's and such the 4th. But we are not getting much positive feedback from them when we mention the cruise. No on in has family has sailed before so they don't see the reason for the "Birthday Cruise excitement". So then we thought if we left the 5th or 6th of July we would be ON the ship for his BD and it would give us one more day (Friday the 4th) for packing etc. That is where we are in between the two weeks.

Again I would pick the Pride because of the ports... the one a week earlier (7/6/14)is going to Nassau/Freeport and PC... would much rather do the other ports. One other note is if I was driving in the day of with a 5 hour drive, I would be leaving where I would arrive around 10:30am. That gives a bit of leeway in case of something happening... actually I think I would go the day before.

My last 3 cruises were on the Fascination, (also a Fantasy class ship) but this February, I will be cruising on the Pride for my first time.

I am looking forward to the Pride cause its a newer ship, and I like the layout - plus the price was good, so good we booked our first balcony room.

AND THEN WE LEARNED (after we were booked), the Pride, will be going into dry dock in January and will get the 2.0 upgrades !!! :D:D So we are really excited about that !

That's something you might want to consider, when comparing the 2 ships.. :)

I like Fantasy better than the Pride only when I am bringing kids along. Fantasy has the waterworks up on deck with the twister slide and the racer slides. We have a blast up there!

That being said, if it's a choice between a 5 day cruise and a 7 day cruise for the same price.. then I'm taking the 7 day!

I love the piano bar on the Pride and they have a more updated ship. I think she's beautifully done.. décor and all!

I would flip a coin ;)

We cruised on the Pride last April (2012), to Grand Turk, HMC, and Freeport. While the itineary was GREAT, I was NOT a fan of the decor on that ship. I know a lot of the previous posters don't care about the decor, but this ship is DARK inside. Lots of naked Renaissance art, throughout, and some of it has been vandalized:eek::eek: I won't go into details, but when you get into the elevators, you'll see what I mean:rolleyes:

Never been on the Fantasy, so I cannot compare. I just would not cruise on the Pride again. I guess I am in the minority, where the decor DOES matter. Only other two ships we cruised on, with Carnival, are the Sensation, which was YEARS ago, and the Breeze, this past April. The Breeze has set the bar very high. LOVED that ship. Looking now at the Breeze again, or the Dream or Magic. Just stinks that their itineraries aren't as good as the Breeze. Good luck, and a cruise is a cruise. You will have a great time no matter WHICH one you choose!!!!:D:D

Archived