how far to Bathsheba?

mellygo

We will be in Barbados Oct 25 of this year. Would like to go to Bathsheba Beach - not to swim, but just to "see the power of the Atlantic" as one poster on Trip Advisor said. Also to see world class surfers, if there are any that day. Just wondering how far this is from the cruise port - and if we would be better off taking a taxi or renting a car? I have heard that the drivers here are much worse than on St. Thomas, etc. Is there a bus? Any information would be much appreciated!!

We will be in Barbados Oct 25 of this year.

Would like to go to Bathsheba Beach - not to swim,

but just to "see the power of the Atlantic" as one poster on Trip Advisor said.

Also to see world class surfers, if there are any that day. ===> IN October yes you'll see surfers, bcoz Oct/Nov is prime time!

Just wondering how far this is from the cruise port ===> 8-10? wriggly miles.

- and if we would be better off taking a taxi or renting a car? ===>Have you driven narrow roads on the left??

I have heard that the drivers here are much worse than on St. Thomas, etc. ===> Much the same: we have tame drivers here too: you don't hear about them though.

Is there a bus?

Yes there is a bus. the cost of the ride is Bds.$2.00 per direction/per ride.

Bds. $2.00 equals US$ 1.00

so it'll cost you a dollar each way.

taxis are easier though, seriously ;)

Most island tours are about $25 US money per person,

with the taxi playing guide and telling you what you're looking at.

Some of those guys know their island history!

Edited by Aplmac

Looking Northward

BathshebaRox-025.jpg

More coastal boulders.

Thousands of years ago, they broke off from the escarpment 1 mile inland

and 800-900 ft up there

and came tumbling down, til they ground to a halt on the beach!

Thank you SOOOO much for the answers, and the beautiful pics!! When you say a tour costs $25 - is that pre-booked, or do we just hope to find a great guide/driver when we get off at the port? Any recommendations about good companies?

Thank you SOOOO much for the answers, and the beautiful pics!! ===> You're welcome!

When you say a tour costs $25 - is that pre-booked,

or do we just hope to find a great guide/driver when we get off at the port?

Any recommendations about good companies?

It's easy to wing it in these islands

and get the first friendly, likely taxi driver --in all these islands, btw.

God knows there are lots of them around, particularly at Port Zante in St.Kitts.

There's no shortage of taxi drivers just outside the Bridgetown Port, looking for your business, trust me. ;)

Edited by Aplmac

• 2 weeks later...
Ok - we shall "wing it". I usually have a tour booked prior to arrival, but I think there will be plenty of drivers available. Thanks for your advice :)

On Barbaods the taxis are more expensive. I don't know about finding an island tour for 25$. I guess maybe if its a big group. We tried to take a taxi to Bathsheba in Jan 2013 and they wanted an outrageous amount of $. I can't remember what they started at, but by time we walked past them all, it was down to "only 80$" That was for the two of us, but for just a ride there and back, too much. We took the bus for a couple bucks. However, we went to the bus terminal closest to the port, that was the wrong one. So we walked to the other one, about 15 minute walk, we missed the bus by 5 min. It goes to Bathsheba every hour on the hour. It was al fine, though, we enjoy people watching and enjoyed the wait, the ride and the sights. It was about a 40 min bus ride. The bus leaves from Bathsheba every hour on the hour, but be waiting, he will not stop if no one is there.

What I would recommend is to take a taxi for 5$ pp to the correct bus terminal, then taking the bus the rest of the way. The correct bus terminal is close to the beach, so you can walk to the beach after getting back. Then enjoy the beach for a while and take a 5$ taxi back to the terminal.

Bathsheba is really nice.

Edited by seashinesunshine

So we walked to the other one, about 15 minute walk, we missed the bus by 5 min.

It goes to Bathsheba every hour on the hour.

It was all fine, though, we enjoy people watching and enjoyed the wait, the ride and the sights.

It was about a 40 min bus ride.

The bus leaves from Bathsheba every hour on the hour, but be waiting, he will not stop if no one is there.

What I would recommend is to take a taxi for 5$ pp to the correct bus terminal,

then taking the bus the rest of the way. ===> Yes, makes sense.

The correct bus terminal is close to the Carlisle Bay beach, so you can walk to the beach after getting back.

Then enjoy the beach for a while and take a 5$ taxi back to the terminal.

Bathsheba is really nice.

You need to get yourself to the FAIRCHILD STREET Bus Terminal across town

-not the terminal that's close to the Port (-that one's good for West Coast buses)

I think think the Bathsheba bus from Fairchild Street is a route number 6

but don't quote me on that.

I just investigated the Barbados Transport Board's website at

http://www.transportboard.com/index.php/bus-schedules/

where you'll need to submit Parish St.Joseph -and BATHSHEBA

in order to get the results I got, which shows TWO ways of getting to Bathsheba.

(Departure?)times are also shown.

The straightforward way is indeed via Route 6 (I was right)

and it goes directly to/from Bridgetown.

This data is further down the page, so you'll need to scroll down a bit.

The other way

is from Speightstown, our island's Second Town (aways up the West Coast)

-where there is a Route 1E that goes to/from Speightstown,

to Bathsheba and back to Speightstown!

Now if you're really adventurous

you could catch the bus from the bus terminal that's close to the Port - to Speightstown

..and then catch the Speightstown-to-Bathsheba bus

-and then catch the Bathsheba-to-Bridgetown bus back to Fairchild Street terminal across town from the ship

and from your original(near-the-Port)terminal from which you departed earlier in the day!

That entire trip should cost you Bds.$6 per person for the three legs of the journey

which amounts to US$3.00 per person for the three legs.

Can you afford it? :D

START EARLY -and don't miss your ship!

I just investigated the Barbados Transport Board's website at

http://www.transportboard.com/index.php/bus-schedules/

where you'll need to submit Parish St.Joseph -and BATHSHEBA

in order to get the results I got, which shows TWO ways of getting to Bathsheba.

For an even more interesting way you could try the 6A out of the Fairchild terminal. A brisk sprint (preferably carrying scissors) will see you arriving desperate and out of breath in time for 8:30 departure. After a leisurely trip cross country you arrive at Hackleton's Cliff overlooking the unsuspecting village. After rapelling down the cliff you put the area under Martian control, seize the women, and return to the Red Planet (unless you're arriving by ship, which obviously you are).

Tell me it can't be done. Bus schedules don't lie (unless they do).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...