Heathrow to London and London to Dover

We leave for London in about a month and want to clarify our transfers. Last year some of you answered this question for me but I lost my notes.

We land in Heathrow on a Saturday around 8:00. Our plans are to take the Piccadilly Line to Earl's Court Station and change line using the District Line towards Edgware Road Station and get off at High Street Kensington Station. Our Hotel is about a 5 minute walk from there. We will have our luggage and wonder if this will be a problem?

On Monday we will go to Victoria (VIC) and plan to take the Dover Priory Train (DVP) to Dover, again we will have our luggage. Someone told us we could also take National Express coach from Victoria Coach station to Dover but it takes longer and can get held up in traffic. We are going on a cruise and our ship departs around 16:00. Thank you for all your replies and help. Steve

THe train travel is very comfortable and easy to do with luggage. And of course faster than a coach bus.

Your trip into London...yikes! Remember you will be arriving after a long flight. If you are like me, (tired and cranky), making a trip like you have planned is really a test of fortitude. It is so much nicer and not all that costly to hire a car service for the ride directly to your hotel doorstep. We like to save money. But thru years of traveling know when not to go the budget route. The tube is not really designed for luggage travel. Have a great stay in London. Fabulous city.

(We are in Waukesha;))

I had a quick look and the only suggestions I can see you got on this board were to take a private car transfer or the Heathrow Express to Paddington and a cab....I'd stick by those :)

But if you are set on the tube, do not change at Earl's Court, because the Piccadilly line has gone deep by then and you are changing to a line at near-surface level. Although it involves two changes, you would be better off changing to the District Line at Barons Court, a cross-platform level transfer, and then again at Earl's Court for the service to High Street Kensington. Much easier with luggage.

I think that The Eagle is quite correct. After a long flight, it surely has to be worth the cost to find a driver, with your name on a card, waiting to waft you and your luggage directly to your hotel.

For the journey to Dover, the train beats the coach every time.

We just got back from our CCL Legend Baltic cruise out of Dover.

We took the tube into Central London, then a short cab ride to the hotel. It was EASY. We bought our Oyster Cards right at the tube station under the Heathrow airport, and used them for 2 days to visit all over London. It was 5GBP for the card, and we loaded 15GBP in travel fare. The remaining balance and cards themselves are refundable after your cruise (by snail mail).

We took a short cab ride to Victoria station, and train to Dover Priory (booked tix ahead of time). It was EASY and comfortable and enjoyable. Then a short cab ride from DVP station to the ship.

After the cruise I had organized a 16 pax group transfer by mini-coach with Britannia Coach Service (based in Dover). Very affordable, and EXCELLENT service.

Archived