Just off Pearl Alaska July 14 to 21

jertom

Debarkation Day: We had an early breakfast at Garden Cafe, and said goodbye to new friends.

We took our time packing, and did an easy walkoff at 8:30 (we packed light, remember).

Remembering the uphills in Seattle, we took a taxi $5.50 to the Moore Hotel which is a few blocks from Pike Place Market. Room not ready so we left most of our baggage in a locked room behind their reception desk.

Pike Place Market has everything including big crowds. After we looked all around, we went to get some chowder at Pike Place Chowder. Then back to the Market and immediate area, then down to the waterfront park area. Eventually we bought cherries at the Market and a lot of pastries to go (veggie and fruit types) at Piroshky Piroshky, and a few beers, and we were all set for supper and next day breakfast. No more big meals !

Our room was ready when we went back to the hotel around 2 PM.

Next day, we woke early, had our breakfast, and checked out around 5:30 AM.

We walked about 3 blocks downhill to the Westlake Light Rail station, paid our 75c Senior rate each at the kiosk, and were at the airport ticket counter at 7 AM.

By the way, there is a McDonalds on the same block as the Westlake station, at 3rd and Pine, open at 5 AM.

Our cruise trip was fantastic, all we expected and more !

We hope everyone who does it will enjoy it as much as we did.

Tom and Jerie

Sounds like you enjoyed your cruise as much as we did the week before.

I did not have issues with the food, but I am a fairly picky eater and prefer my food bland :). I enjoyed the lobster the first night and liked that I was given two tails since I did not want the steak. Bet that would not happen onshore!

Your weather was a bit better than ours. We had some rain, but not bad, and it was gloomy in Juneau, which I think affected my photos somewhat (lots of greay-grey sky, grey water, blah). Margerie was pretty amazing and we saw a lot of calving that day.

Sounds like you enjoyed your cruise as much as we did the week before.

I did not have issues with the food, but I am a fairly picky eater and prefer my food bland :). I enjoyed the lobster the first night and liked that I was given two tails since I did not want the steak. Bet that would not happen onshore!

Your weather was a bit better than ours. We had some rain, but not bad, and it was gloomy in Juneau, which I think affected my photos somewhat (lots of greay-grey sky, grey water, blah). Margerie was pretty amazing and we saw a lot of calving that day.

Glad you enjoyed the cruise the week before.

We are sort of in the same boat as you re the food. We don't really like lots of heavy meals with rich sauces etc. Bad enough that we ate all those desserts which we don't do at home !

The captain said that the Pearl is due for drydock in April.

Well that's interesting, I thought the Pearl just went through a mini-drydock this past April. Sure would be nice ahead of my May 2014 cruise! :) Nice review, thanks for sharing.

Well that's interesting, I thought the Pearl just went through a mini-drydock this past April. Sure would be nice ahead of my May 2014 cruise! :) Nice review, thanks for sharing.

Yes that is interesting. In response to my question about future modifications etc the Captain said drydock in April, would be out of service for 2 weeks, and they plan for them every 5 years.

So...either I heard wrong and he was talking about last April, or... there are mini-drydocks and maxi-drydocks, or... we will have to stay tuned on this.

Enjoyed reading your review -- thank you for taking the time to write it!:) Our cruise can't come soon enough -- 7 more weeks until we board the Pearl for our 9th cruise to Alaska!:D

Thanks,

Wondering if you have been to Alaska in September before and if so, what are the pros and cons?

Tom

Thanks,

Wondering if you have been to Alaska in September before and if so, what are the pros and cons?

Tom

My wife and I went last year in September (and again this coming September). The weather was wonderful... no real cons from the ship's perspective. Being the end of the season, some of the guides on the excursions, though, were kinda over the whole thing for the year... they were ready to be done. Lots of talk amongst them about where they were headed next, going home, or another gig elsewhere. Although they were great and maintained a fantastic attitude, you could tell the were a bit spent after dealing with thousands of tourists for the season... great, another f'ing eagle... no, we can't tell the bears to show up upon your arrival...yes, it's cold...

As for pros... maybe a little less crowded at the end of the season...?

Regarding the food-

The Summer Palace which is one of the main dining rooms which is included in your cruise fare was mediocre- at best. The service was okay but it took forever to get breakfast. 45 minutes. Once we discovered the great outdoor café on the fantail of the ship we never went any other place for breakfast. Great buffet.

Indigo was another main dining room which is the sister dining room of the Summer Palace. Service much better and food much better.

Cagney's of course spot on. It's worth the cover charge.

Lotusgarden extraordinarily disappointing.

Blue Lagoon – Gross

Garden Café buffet we liked it! The ice cream was amazing.

By the time we docked in Seattle we were so tired of hearing:

"Washy washy happy happy – smiley smiley"

This was chanted by the crew as they sprayed your hands with alcohol or antibacterial stuff when you went to the buffet:)

They got so ridiculous we are putting a Y on everything:)

I know that it is super subjective, but how was the entertainment and food? We have been on Pearl twice including Alaska, is she looking her age or did dry dock keep her young and cute? If you had any "klunkers" for excursions would also love to hear. Happy you had good weather, I keep hearing this season has either very good or not so much! Thanks!

Thanks,

Tom

Hi, Tom. Our first cruise to Alaska was September 13, 2003.

In looking back at our pictures, we had a beautiful short-sleeve type of a day for our sail-away from Seattle.

In Ketchikan we're wearing our heavy jackets but at least it wasn't raining.

In Juneau it started off very windy and quite cold when we first got there but the sun was shining and we enjoyed an outdoor salmon bake.

In Skagway we just had light jackets on for the White Pass Train ride and exploring the town.

And we had a warm and sunny day for Victoria.

I hope it's just as good (if not better) this year when we leave on September 15th!

Our preference is to cruise the end of May, first of June -- we've had beautiful weather then and I hate waiting all summer for our cruise time to arrive!

Sandy,

Thanks for your observations on weather in September. Sounds like you need to be ready for anything (yeah, probably true all summer).

Wishing you good weather again.

Tom

[quote name='jormot']How long did you actually spend in Glacier Bay?[/quote]

Well, as I recall, maybe 4 or 5 hours, which included about an hour close to the Margerie and Grand Pacific glaciers. But also some other glaciers coming and going.
The map that is handed out is useful as you travel along.
Glacier Bay is actually about 70 miles long, with the glaciers mostly at the upper 30 miles. The whole area is scenic !

Archived