Which CL in Alaska for a 7 year old?

travln1234

I'm looking at Carnival, Princess, and Royal Caribbean. I haven't been on Carnival. Disney is likely out (after much back and forth over the matter, but price is a biggie for the type of cabin I like). We'll go with a balcony, extended balcony on Carnival. Balcony is key, as I intend to sit out there for most of the trip. My DD is outgoing and loves kid activities, so I know she'll enjoy the kid's club area...she's the type to cry when I want her to leave, not when I drop her off.

Itinerary is not as important to me this trip. I've been twice before. This is to get my daughter's feet wet on her first real big trip that isn't Disney-related.

Any thoughts on activities for the kids, excursion suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated!!

We've sailed many times with our 6 year old on Princess and Carnival. She enjoys the kids club at both, though prefers Princess ( as do I).

Did a B2B in Alaska on Princess last year and had a wonderful time. I really appreciated that the rangers visited the kids club while in Glacier Bay. The kids learned a lot and had fun learning about all of the animals.

We've sailed on all three and my girls have always had a great time. We did Royal to Alaska and they liked having the rock climbing wall, but I'm sure they would have been happy on any of the lines. Sorry this doesn't help narrow your search - I always go by itinerary and then price.

I had done Alaska many times before without kids, but this was the first time I had done a one-way (southbound). Don't know if you want to consider that since you've been before too. It was an amazing adventure for me and the kids, starting with a couple days in Alaska.

Best,

Mia

If in the summer, I'd pick the ship that has the stops/dates and price. IMHO Princess, Carnival, even HAL all are good as is RCL. But HAL/princess offer the most ships/sailings and best selection. My kids from age 7-17 enjoyed Princess multiple times here and on other sailings.

I've sailed Princess and Royal Caribbean to Alaska and both were very good. DS was 4 and 6 and both were very good for him too. All of the cruise lines have excellent kids programs, except for Disney, imo. Choose based on itinerary and price.

DS loved whale watching, gold panning and sled dogs. And shopping. ;) Skagway is great for shopping.

If you aren't concerned about the itinerary then I would go with Disney with a 7 year old girl. It is definitely more expensive, but if you can get the price in the same ballpark then the experience is absolutely worth it.

I have a 6 year old daughter who has been on 10+ cruises and the only one she ever talks about is Disney. The facilities and activities for kids are far superior to what we have experienced on any other line.

On the other end of the spectrum we really enjoy HAL as well. The kids facilities are much more limited, but there will be far fewer kids and they get much more personalized attention from the staff and crew.

If your daughter likes to swim, you might also look for a ship with a covered pool area (not Disney).

Thanks, all! The suggestion about the covered pool is very helpful - my daughter is a FISH! So that will factor into my decision for sure.

We did Skagway/Haines twice (before DD) and I never walked around the port. First trip was the train thing (no, not doing that again...beautiful but way too time-consuming), and we did a white water trip in Haines. I'm glad to know there's good shopping, because I'd like to spend some time in port doing that and maybe not necessarily taking an excursion at every stop.

Panning for gold sounds fun, thank you. I'd forgotten about that one.

The covered pool area will definitely help limit your ship selection. Make sure you look for a covered pool that is useable by kids. Several ships have only a covered pool for the spa/solarium area that is generally adults only.

The covered pool area will definitely help limit your ship selection. Make sure you look for a covered pool that is useable by kids. Several ships have only a covered pool for the spa/solarium area that is generally adults only.

This is great advice - just note that at least on Royal, the covered pool that is adults-only on other itineraries has open hours for all ages on the Alaska cruises. It was twice a day on sea-days on ours - don't remember if it was once or twice on port days. I don't know how you'd check on this since I'm sure the customer service people have no idea - you'd have to ask here about the line you're considering.

Best,

Mia

I've sailed Princess and Royal Caribbean to Alaska and both were very good. DS was 4 and 6 and both were very good for him too. All of the cruise lines have excellent kids programs, except for Disney, imo. Choose based on itinerary and price.

DS loved whale watching, gold panning and sled dogs. And shopping. ;) Skagway is great for shopping.

Hi! :)

My family and I are going to Alaska next year on the Crown Princess May 10, 2014 Denali Explorer. My nephew (2yrs 4mos), and nieces 7 & 8 will be joining us.

I was wondering, did they "require" you to bring/use a car seat / booster seat during your land tours/excursions? Coz on Princess' brochure & website it says that:

"While traveling in Alaska with infants or children... Alaska law requires that infants and children under the age of five be secured in the appropriate car seat, booster seat or other child restraint system."

Hi! :)

My family and I are going to Alaska next year on the Crown Princess May 10, 2014 Denali Explorer. My nephew (2yrs 4mos), and nieces 7 & 8 will be joining us.

I was wondering, did they "require" you to bring/use a car seat / booster seat during your land tours/excursions? Coz on Princess' brochure & website it says that:

"While traveling in Alaska with infants or children... Alaska law requires that infants and children under the age of five be secured in the appropriate car seat, booster seat or other child restraint system."

I think perhaps that applies to cars, but most excursions will be in buses without seat belts.

And a comment about pools... I just got off Coral Princess yesterday, and she has a covered pool, but the not covered pool is heated. EM

Archived