Just back from Crimean/Aegean

Returned on Monday after b2b cruise. Firsty, after being on Celebration last year, I have to admit that the changes made (apart from the Lido) were subtle. I suppose it is difficult to change such an old ship drastically, and so cosmetic changes are the most that can be expected. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever though. Again, we had a four berth cabin (502). Bathroom very much nicer and the curtain was changed twice whilst we were there, so it was lovely and clean. New bedding, carpets. Flat screen TV is attached to the old unit of the old bulky TV, so absolutely no space saving there! Kettle is attached to the dressing table, and could not be moved, which for us was not good - we didnt use it and could have done with that space.

Again - our only complaint was the lack of air conditioning - a real struggle most nights.

The food was of the same standard as last year - we found it excellent, although choices were repeated more which we found different from last year. We promised ourselves to try the Mistral or steak out on the the Ldio deck (steak under the stars), but to tell you truth, we did enjoy the restaurant. The first week saw the passengers being considerably older, so queues for the restaurant were really quite long some nights, to the point they were taking out trays of champagne and orange juice to pacify people. The second week saw more families/young couples, so it was not quite as bad then.

The entertainment was absolutely fantastic. Shows were good, costumes spectacular, but I think this year they have really focussed on show casing some of the singers - up in Liberties some of the acts were fantastic with different nights featuring different members of the entertainment team. Please do not miss the "Lock In" night - one of the best nights - Steve, the CD and his assistant Lewis were amazing. Frazer Ellacott was actually on board for a few days, and his rendition of 500 Miles was, well - entertaining!!! Was happy to see Craig there again this year as a dancer in the entertainment team - excellent!!!!

Crimean

Overall, can I just say we were slightly disappointed. I dont know if they have been over ambitious with this one.

Nessebar - Didnt arrive to lunchtime (ish). After queuing the day before for a tender ticket, only to be told there were none left - by the time they had called the various coloured tickets, it was 2.15pm. The last tender back from shore was 4.00 pm, so I am afraid I was a bit worried about the time and we did not get off - was really disappointed.

Sevastopol - again, it was a late morning arrival. We got off ourselves and walked up to the Panorama Museum. After purchasing tickets at the booth for an advertised time - they ladies on the door, would not allow us in and told us to come back in an hours time. They let all these tours in before us and on our return STILL would not let us in. Things got a little heated at that point!!! Ruined it a little, in that we had to hang about and could have had the opportunity to see other things. Still - a very nice place to see.

Constanta - the most disgusting docks ever - although, dont let it put you off. After what we read on here, we were going to have a day on the ship. It is the most bizaare place ever, and I would have love to have seen it in its hey day! After a 20 minute walk out of the docks (they are really horrible) you turn left and come across the most amazing builidings. The place is quite something and it must have been a real wealthy place at one time. I will tell you though - everywhere is being dug up. EU money seems to be being ploughed in here to what I would imagine try to bring it back to its former glory. Some streets were just absolutely deserted and as I say, you had to be really careful to manoevre around the road works in others, but quite a spectacular place - would be very interested to revist in around 10 years. If they are looking to encourage cruises though - they will need to think of another docking area.

Istanbul - Totally amazing - was there last year and just loved it, so glad to be back.

Cesme - A stunning little place. Lovely to walk around with no hassle.

On the second week, we were due to visit Lesbos. The wind was too strong for the ship to drop anchor and tender safely, so very unfortunately (another one we wanted to see), we moved on to Dikili. Got there around 1ish. Nothing much here and was a bit disappointed. Hope any of you going on future cruise, are able to get to Lesbos.

All in all a fantastic holiday, which I would say was more to do with the ship and crew rather than ports of call this time. Sorry we did not pick this weeks one - although our friends are on and the Egyptian stops have been cancelled. They were given a £100 on board spend instead.

The crew as always, were as hardworking and friendly as ever. Service was good, but because the ship was at full capacity, they obviously do not have as much time to spend with you as you might like.

Only other observations were the bizaare soft drink thing!! Instead of a can, you are poured a glass of chosed drink and then the remainder is used for next order and so on. Some people were complaining of their drinks being flat. I suppose this is a cost saving exercise and I beleive also due to people taking cans of juice off on trips with them (???) Just meant that you were ordering more drinks, because once there is ice in a glass, you dont get that much juice. We were AI and I like rose wine with dinner - the wine this year (in my opinion!) was of a much lower standard. Again, maybe a way to cut costs.

If I were to think of anything negative to say, I would really be nit picking. The charge for the safe is a bit of a sore point (£25 for two weeks). Be careful when they are doing some of the fun stuff out on deck and then handing out cocktails - as I said, we were AI, but the drink I took, I got charged £2.95 for!!!! LOL

Would I go with Thomsons again - hell yes! ;)

Celebration is going into dry dock in November - not entirely sure why.

Hi Dingadong

Welcome back and glad you had a good time.

It looks as if things have changed for the better on the Celebration from when we were on in June.

I did notice some staff changes in your review our CD was Gavin Carroll and ACD's were Lewis (love Lewis he is great) and Mab Rose.

I agree with what you said about the Crimean slightly disappointing, some of the ports were really good but there just wasn't enough time there. Glad you got to Cesme they missed this one out for us.

You didn't miss anything by not going to Lesbos.

We didn't like there at all. It was very dirty with lots of beggars and roaming dogs.

The Celebration will probably be going into dry dock for mechanical issues.

They did have problems with the engines when we were on.

Mary

Gavin was on first week - then they changed over - I know this is only a personal thing, but the second week was fab!

Oh well, glad we didnt miss anything nice. It was one that we fancied, but doesnt sound grand!

I cant complain about anything to be honest. Did have a really good time. A holiday is what you make it of course.

Meant to say about sunbeds - on our first day, it was so windy that you could not lie up on sun deck - the amount of people who lost their hats over the sides, and to be honest they should have closed it - sunbeds were blowing into people, and I got hit by a chair. Didnt really have a much of a problem otherwise. Although - two blokes got taken away by an ship's officer for (I swear) near fistycuffs over their wives sunbeds!!!!

They were going about putting on tickets, but nobody bothered to come back to move towels. Other passengers were though!!!

Great review as there haven't been very positive ones coming recently! Kruzseeka will be pleased to hear about the entertainment as, again reports had not been too good,

Celebration is going into dry dock to have balcony cabins fitted on deck 9 so I read on here recently apparently.

Good to hear that Fraser was onboard; maybe he will take back any problems there have been & improve on things.....

Just wondering if we might decide to do a trip from Nessebar if there are issues with the tender; at least this way you get off first - I was really rather hoping to DIY but maybe worth just doing the walking tour so we can actually get off!

Thank for the report of your b2b trip. We are on the same cruise early September. There hasn't been much information re the Black Sea ports as yet from people who have been recently. My husband is partially sighted and we prefer to DIY our trips so he has time to look around etc. We had planned to go to the Panorama by ourselves first thing then just look around the city. I am now concerned re waiting times etc to enter the Pamorama - do think it was particularly busy that day (several ships in port?) also are you only allowed in for a certain time. Did you here what the trip that included the battlefield etc was like. It's a shame that this itinerary seems to be having so many disapointments as we have been planning a trip to the Black Sea for a long time. Very much looking forward to Istanbul - it will be good to have the chance to visit twice so will be able to take our time and see different things each time, any advice welcome

great review ding, many thanks for this.....we were also on board during your second week

interesting to hear frazer was on board...was that during your first week?....spitting feathers a little that I must have missed him (and what could have turned out into a very interesting conversation over a lobster curry and vodka martini):rolleyes:

agree about the windy conditions...quite wobbly some nights...I believe it is quite usual in that area at this time of year tho

we noticed that the captain had tried several approaches to get into lesbos

I quite liked dikili, tendering was a little chaotic but the town was very pretty and laid back in a stunning scenic setting although have never been to lesbos so cant make a comparison

I may be wrong but where there 2 acd's lewis & mab? agree both great imo and cd steve very friendly and engaging

agree on the lockin in liberties....more of this please thoms (not sure it would work in medusa tho)

Just wondering if we might decide to do a trip from Nessebar if there are issues with the tender; at least this way you get off first - I was really rather hoping to DIY but maybe worth just doing the walking tour so we can actually get off!

If you book a tour does it mean your first off? We might do the 1 hour walking tour for £16pp just to make sure we see Nessebar. After a day and a half at sea I think I'll be ready to get off!

countdown.pl?image=panamacanal&name=Geraintw&date=8-5-2013&text=Crimean Discovery&ship=Thomson Celebrationcountdown.pl?image=vfin&name=Geraintw&date=10-26-2013&text=Treasures of the Med&ship=Thomson Dreamcountdown.pl?image=vfin&name=Geraintw&date=08-03-2014&text=Baltic Highlights&ship=Thomson Spirit

Send from iPad using Cruise Critic App

If you book a tour does it mean your first off? We might do the 1 hour walking tour for £16pp just to make sure we see Nessebar. After a day and a half at sea I think I'll be ready to get off!

The tours do get off first as they obviously have to get everyone together for buses or walking tours etc. Can't say that the walking one will be the first one off but they should have priority over DIY passengers! We have just done that now; booked the 1 hour walking tour but hopefully we can do that with them, find our feet then have a wander around on our own after - don't want to travel all the way to Bulgaria & not get off!!! You can always book it, check onboard with Destination Services & cancel if you decide not to do the trip - as long as you give 24 hours notice you will get a refund.

When we went to Mykonos last year, we did a jeep trip around the island & we were the first onto the tenders.

Just a thought, if they are going to dole out coke and lemonade, instead of giving people cans, wouldn't it be better to use bottles :confused:

Cheaper and they wouldn't go flat as long as the cap is replaced :rolleyes:

Simple. Linda, why can't Thomson be as bright as you?:D

It is just really inadequate. asked if it could be adjusted and was told that it would be better when we were actually sailing. No it wasn't! Four of us in a cabin was tough going. Showers were a nightmare! Sheets were soaking with sweat in the morning - nice! Same problem last year with same outcome! Roast toasty! ::(

It is just really inadequate. asked if it could be adjusted and was told that it would be better when we were actually sailing. No it wasn't! Four of us in a cabin was tough going. Showers were a nightmare! Sheets were soaking with sweat in the morning - nice! Same problem last year with same outcome! Roasty toasty! ::(

We had no problems last year on the Celebration with air con in a 4 berth cabin - at times it was actually almost too cold so it's not all 4 berths. My parents had a 2 berth on deck 4 & their's was fine too.

lucky you! honestly sometimes it was awful. we were opening the door because it was cooler in the corridor. maybe just bad luck two dodgy ac in a row! lol:D

lucky you! honestly sometimes it was awful. we were opening the door because it was cooler in the corridor. maybe just bad luck two dodgy ac in a row! lol:D

Just trying to reassure other travellers that it might not be too bad in all cabins ;)

thanks..

Like Julesmiles, our cabins were fine air con wise...our third time on Celebration in the coming weeks. OMG 16 days to go...hoooray! :p

Might see you there - we are onboard the same time as you ;) Will be our 3rd time too - can't wait :)

Archived