Advice needed for Marina

ncgolferette

My husband has some mobility issues due to Parkinson's disease and our single 33 year old son has offered to come along for assistance if needed on a cruise to the British isles for next summer. We have never sailed on Oceania and have found a cruise on the Marina that is appealing. My question is - would our single son feel out of place on the Marina? He is not a "party" person. He enjoys fine food and wine. After mom and dad hit the sack in the evening, I was just wondering if there would be anything for him to do. We currently have a reservation on the Ruby Princess but have mixed feelings about sailing on such a large ship.

Thanks for any opinions.

I do not think he would feel out of place, however the pass average age is 50+IMO. I would also think there are not a lot of young single people on board. If he likes food and wine he would like Oceania. If he likes a laid-back trip he would be ok IMO.

ncgolferette

In 2011, we sailed around the British Isles on the Crown Princess, a sister ship of the Ruby Princess. The biggest problem was the long wait to get off the ship at the ports where tenders were used. Those with mobility issue were not given priority. We do not sail on an O class ship until this September but have been on R class 5 times. From our point of view, Oceania is far superior to Princess in every way. If your son enjoys good food and wine, Oceania is the cruise line for him.

Cheers,

Don

I haven't been aboard Marina since she was brand new, but I know there were some issues at that time regarding boarding the ship for those in wheel chairs. I am not mobility challenged, so I can't comment further, but hopefully someone else can assist you in your research regarding this issue. Mr. Del Rio? If you are you out there, you are certainly the final word on this issue.

As far as your son travelling on O, while the age skews a bit older than some other lines, it is a really interesting group of people, the food and service are wonderful, and he should have a good time.

My husband is not wheelchair bound at this point. He has difficulty getting up from chairs and wears braces on both legs due to a dropped foot so he cannot walk really long distances and he has balance issues so he needs to use a walker. He is more than comfortable at waiting on a tour bus if there is something he feels that he can't do. So far we have not even had any problems with him getting on tenders. Just wanted to bring our son along as extra help if need be so hope the Marina will be a comfortable fit.

Thanks for everyone's opinions as I appreciate them. I think I could get really excited about taking our first cruise with Oceania.

But, after you "hit the sack" ;), there really won't be a lot going on. We just traveled to Alask with friends whop brought their 40-something daughter and hjer SO along; they prowled the ship after 10:30 PM looking for soemthing exciting, and often found little. There may be some in the Martinis bar until later, but the DJ in Horizons Lounge often closes up shop before Midnight.

Other than that, I don't see any reason why your son won't thoroughly enjoy the cruise, as long as the other cruisers are awake :rolleyes:.

Archived