Drop off Luggage

jrkfrk

We will be arriving in Barcelona at 9:30 am for a 6 pm departure on the Marina. Does anyone know how early we can drop off our luggage (I know we cannot check in until the afternoon). Just want to get rid of the luggage and do some wandering - we have been in Barcelona several times so do not want to take a tour.I posted here as it might pertain, in general, to Oceania ships.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for a private driver for pick up at the airport. Thanks for any info!

Fran

We will be arriving in Barcelona at 9:30 am for a 6 pm departure on the Marina. Does anyone know how early we can drop off our luggage (I know we cannot check in until the afternoon). Just want to get rid of the luggage and do some wandering - we have been in Barcelona several times so do not want to take a tour.I posted here as it might pertain, in general, to Oceania ships.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for a private driver for pick up at the airport. Thanks for any info!

Fran

The conventional wisdom is that the Porters won't start accepting luggage for your cruise, until the bulk of the luggage from the previous Cruise has "left the Building".

In some Ports, this is because of a Union mandated change of Porterage Staff, so you cannot buck the rules.

Although it might be possible to drop off the luggage slightly earlier, I would not suggest making the attempt until noon.

Why have to go back twice if they say no?

Our car service of choice in Barcelona is Abaser, because they have cars (and drivers) to suite every need at the right price (although Spain has gotten very expensive in the last three years):

http://www.abaser.es/ciudades/barcelona

Enjoy your cruise!

We will be arriving in Barcelona at 9:30 am for a 6 pm departure on the Marina. Does anyone know how early we can drop off our luggage (I know we cannot check in until the afternoon). Just want to get rid of the luggage and do some wandering - we have been in Barcelona several times so do not want to take a tour.

We were in a similar position last year. Assuming you are arriving at the airport after a TA filght from the USA vs. arriving say after spending a few days pre-cruise in Europe (just thinking of jet lag and do you want to hang about the airport for a few hours with your luggage in that state of mind or just carry-on)

In our case we decided to arrive early at the terminal and take a chance. Worst case is we would have to hang about there for a while with our luggage vs. hang about somewhere else. Plus if they could not take them when we arrived we at least would be there and ready the moment that they would.

Or we could then move to plan B (storage lockers near El Corte Ingles were we wanted to stop for some last minute supplies anyway)but that has the problem of having to return to the locker to pick up the luggage when we were done with our walkabout and ready to head to the ship.

As it turned out when we arrived there were were a few pax milling about. I thought we were in for a long wait along with the these other early birds. Wrong. They were the last few disembarking waiting for their transport.

A porter came out to take our luggage and it was whisked away. We joined a couple waiting at the bus stop for the shuttle bus. The four of us decided to share a taxi and so for a few Euros more than the bus we were at the foot of Las Ramblas minutes later ready to find our first cup of chocolate and churros.

Bottom line is if your flight arrives at 9:30 you may off the plane, done with luggage pickup and at the taxi queue by 10:30. Taxi to the terminal you are there about 11:00. I believe the upper level Suite pax are processed at that time so there will be porters to take your luggage.

Archived