Alaska Toursaver?

babs4204

Hello,

We're going on the Royal Caribbean Alaska 7-day northbound cruise from August 23rd - 30th. I saw a couple recommendations for the Alaska toursaver book, but I also saw that it's $100 and I just wanted some feedback as to what you think about it. If we're doing the cruise, do you think (if we plan on trying to book excursions outside of the ship) that it's worth purchasing? It is too late to use the coupons to book excursions? I saw that they fill up very quickly, and the problem is that I can't see what types of excursions are even covered by the book.

Thanks a bunch :)

If you go to http://www.toursaver.com it does list all of the coupons. If you see a coupon that could save you enough to justify the cost of the book, phone the trip vendor to verify that they still have coupon tickets available before you buy the book.

Some books are on eBay. Just make sure the coupons you want haven't been used.

The Kenai boat trips are popular uses for coupons if you have time after you get off the boat.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I purchased mine from ebay. I knew which things I wanted and the price I was willing to pay - lost out a couple of times as the bidding went too high, but did manage to get one for a good price. So far I have saved over $88 with coupons on booked items (subtracting the price I paid for the book) and plan on using one or two more. For me, since we had not planned on using any of the major money savers I didn't want to purchase a new book.

There are less people bidding on them as the season winds down so the prices should reflect that.

FYI, there are some sellers on ebay who sell individual coupons for the Northern Lights savings books (as those can be removed from the book unlike the TourSaver which requires the coupon to be torn out at the point of use). I was able to get a good deal on an BOGO airport transfer in Whittier using that method (not available in the TourSaver book).

You need to figure out what coupons you would be using. It can be more advantageous for independent travelers on land visits.

BEFORE any coupon purchases, you need to inquire IF there are any coupon slots left for the tour. Just because you have a coupon, does NOT mean the vendor will accept it. Many will allow you to complete the reservation prior to the actual book purchase. They will just charge you full price if you show up without the coupon.

We just came off an Alaskan cruise last week. This time we didn't do a tour, just cruise. I got lucky and got an Alaska Toursaver book on EBAY. We saved several times the cost of the book on our first excursion. We saved $160 on the Major Marine tour to Surprise Glacier. What a great way to start a vacation in Alaska! I don't believe they limit the number of coupons they accept on this tour as well as many other tours in the book. Some flightseeing and small group tours they might. I'd rather be outdoors viewing nature than exploring a ship. After the Surprise Glacier tour we walked around the town. Really not much to see in Whittier.

If I had not had the Toursaver I don't think we would have done this excursion because of the price as we had done this boat tour on a previous trip. We really would have missed out on a wonderful day. It seems that every trip is different.

The other excursions that we did by using the book saved us quite a bit of money as well.

We just came off an Alaskan cruise last week. This time we didn't do a tour, just cruise. I got lucky and got an Alaska Toursaver book on EBAY. We saved several times the cost of the book on our first excursion. We saved $160 on the Major Marine tour to Surprise Glacier. What a great way to start a vacation in Alaska! I don't believe they limit the number of coupons they accept on this tour as well as many other tours in the book. Some flightseeing and small group tours they might. I'd rather be outdoors viewing nature than exploring a ship. After the Surprise Glacier tour we walked around the town. Really not much to see in Whittier.

If I had not had the Toursaver I don't think we would have done this excursion because of the price as we had done this boat tour on a previous trip. We really would have missed out on a wonderful day. It seems that every trip is different.

The other excursions that we did by using the book saved us quite a bit of money as well.

Major Marine certainly does limit their coupon acceptance.

I was recently talking to Major Marine about booking a 7.5 hour tour from Seward. I was told the day I was looking at had 100 tickets left. I asked about coupon spaces and the woman said they will accept coupons until they only have 10 spots left and will reserve the last 10 spots for full price fares. I thought that was a fair policy.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

When I booked with Major Marine they told me that they very rarely ever refuse Toursaver coupons. The only time they may refuse to take a coupon is when they have very few spots left on the boat. These boats hold quite a few people. They told me that if you decide to go on the tour that day you need to call their phone number and make the reservation and pay via phone rather than in person.

Archived