Which rooms should you avoid?

mountainhouse

Ali27-We were on the Island two weeks ago in Aloha 218, which is about as far forward as you can get without standing by the Captain. :D Having never cruised before, I was worried about ship's motion, but all we ever felt was a very slow, gentle rocking motion, never bothered us a bit. This wasn't constant either-most of the time we couldn't feel it at all. I took Bonine the first couple of days, but stopped taking it after that and was fine. Although there's no guarantee of good weather, I understand that Inside Passage sailing is more protected, so the seas are mostly calm.

We also did hear some noise from above ( I assume from the Horizon Court) at times, but never enough to bother us or keep us from sleeping.

Don't worry, I think you will enjoy your Aloha deck cabin--and you are right, the covered balcony is a big plus.

Thanks, I feel a lot better. We are going on the Island Princess next week in A220. I have been very worried about motion sickness, too far up, small balcony etc. glad to get some possitive news. Thanks again

I hate to say, but there are some cabins that are really bad. We had Caribe 728/732 on the Sapphire and there was INTENSE vibration and metalic noise 24/7. Made the beds shake like the vibrating kind. No kidding. Great for 10 minutes, miserable thereafter. We were lucky enough to be gracefully moved to Plaza which was delightful. This block of inside cabins is directly above a blank space on the ships plans. We found out that the air conditioning units were housed there (two story units). Not everyone has reported the same problem. There was apparently some malfunctioning when we were aboard. Never the less, I would never book in that area again.

As someone else stated, best to be safe and book cabins with other cabins above, below and next door if possible.

This last April we were in Suite B104 on the Diamond Princess which is the forward facing suite on the port side of the Baja deck. We had originally booked a mini and were offered the upgrade to this room and took it with some reservation.

The room itself was fine, but has an unusual configuration since it is in a corner. The balcony was huge, but largely unusable at times because of the strong wind at the front of the ship. Also, we felt way more motion on this cruise than in any of our 15 previous. I knew that being forward ment more motion, but didn't realize how pronounced it would be. We also had an issue with our deck furniture constantly sliding around because of the wind and motion. We woke up one morning and all the furniture was in a big pile against the divider to the next cabin aft. The post that supports the bridge attaches to the superstructure just aft of this suite so you have an obstructed view in that direction. Being so far forward this room is also quite far from most everyplace you would want to get to on the ship.

Don't know that I would categorize this room as "bad" (it is a suite afterall), but I don't know that I wouldn't accept an upgrade to a forward facing suite again.

All rhis talk of rooms under the pool deck has me worried. I was planning on trying to get a cabin in the 700 section of the Riveria deck. Thought it would be nice to be one flight of stairs away from the buffet to get food and bring it down to the balcony. Also very close to the aft pool. Is it very noisy with chairs being moved around? Has anyone stayed in one of these cabins?

The 700 section is under the Caribe Cafe, you should be fine.

We have a cabin on Riviera Deck..R706..like the OP said this is right under the Caribe Cafe so it should not have alot of noise..I'd let you know how it is but we will be getting off as you get on...What cabin did you end up with?

Glad I could help, Sharbro. :) You are going to be right next door to the cabin we had! It's really convenient for getting to the Horizon Court & the Lido Deck Pool area--just a short flight of stairs up (or elevator, if you want.) If Diego is still the room steward for that section, you will have really good service! Now that I'm back to reality, I really miss turndown service and chocolates on my pillow. :D

Have a great cruise--you will love the Island Princess!

Iv'e twice been in a inside and only twice got any noise..this was after midnight there was a loud noise and I got bounced out of bed.....never did find out the reason...although they were vacuuming upstairs....I didnot hear the hum of the vacuum. This was on Sun and Dawn Princess....Would I stay in that area again certainly no problem.Actually same area on my 28+2 days next April/May....this time I am under Lotus Spa on Diamond....the Horizon being on the same deck but aft...I will be forward :)

We stayed on Riviera aft last year. 721 ( i think) and we loved it. It spoils you you are so close to the aft pool and Caribe and Horizon buffets. I am going to request these rooms againg next time we cruise. :)

I do not recommend cabins directly over "dead space" on the ship deck plans. I was in C746 on the Diamond last year and dreaded it!!! If you look on the deck layout for Dolphin deck there isn't anything under C746. WRONG!!! :eek: I learned that some sort of mechanical equip, i.e. AC units were below me and the cabin vibrated all week long. But I am a VERY LIGHT sleeper so it probably bothered me more than it would a sound sleeper.

There was a whole thread about these cabins on the Diamond and Sapphire in the fall of last year.

Jamie

I do not recommend cabins directly over "dead space" on the ship deck plans. I was in C746 on the Diamond last year and dreaded it!!! If you look on the deck layout for Dolphin deck there isn't anything under C746. WRONG!!! :eek: I learned that some sort of mechanical equip, i.e. AC units were below me and the cabin vibrated all week long. But I am a VERY LIGHT sleeper so it probably bothered me more than it would a sound sleeper.

There was a whole thread about these cabins on the Diamond and Sapphire in the fall of last year.

Jamie

:eek:Wow Spingal! The same thing happened to us on the Sapphire, C728 many cabins forward. I started that other thread, but you are the first person to absolutely confirm the same problem on the Diamond (same plans). Just as you say. loud and vibrating ALL the time, Port or underway, made no difference. We were lucky enough to be moved or it would have been a very miserable 10 day voyage. The Steward played dumb and the supervisor said there must be some unusual malfunctioning of the equipment below (I believed him). What a terrible design. Effects a whole block of cabins. I am so disappointed they are continuing to sell these cabins knowing the conditions . They are really bad. It not only bothered me sleeping, but just being in the cabin for any length of time. We aren't exagerating are we Spingal!

If this happens to you, ask your steward to have his supervisor come talk to you EARLY. Have him/her come in your cabin and witness it. The vibration is hard to deny. They might have another cabin. Our ship was "full" yet they found us another cabin. Talking to the Purser will get you nowhere.

Archived