Traffic - Maho to Pier

I've been lurking for awhile as I do my research for our upcoming cruise. DH and I are considering renting a car (vs. booking a tour with Bernard's Tours) to see the island. Regarding the afternoon traffic I've been reading a lot about between Maho Beach and the cruise ship terminal - is that traffic mostly tourist traffic or local traffic? Since we're the only ship scheduled to be in port that day, I'm wondering if maybe traffic will be a little lighter or if it doesn't really matter because the locals also travel that route at the same time.

Thanks in advance for your input!

I've been lurking for awhile as I do my research for our upcoming cruise. DH and I are considering renting a car (vs. booking a tour with Bernard's Tours) to see the island. Regarding the afternoon traffic I've been reading a lot about between Maho Beach and the cruise ship terminal - is that traffic mostly tourist traffic or local traffic? Since we're the only ship scheduled to be in port that day, I'm wondering if maybe traffic will be a little lighter or if it doesn't really matter because the locals also travel that route at the same time.

Thanks in advance for your input!

I believe that the bulk of the traffic is local. People getting off work.

The problem is certainly exacerbated by a large number of cruisers, but I don't think that their taxis are the core of the problem.

I'd be out of Maho by 2:45, 3:00 at the latest.

gary

Far less traffic in the summer than in January and March when we have visited. Many islanders are off on holidays in the summer. In the winter there are more locals and more tourists on the island which equals more cars and more traffic and therefore more traffic congestion.

• 2 months later...

When we were there in May there was a lot of construction & detours. That slowed us down a bit. That is why I like a tour for going to different places on an island. We were with Bernard and he knew how to bypass all of those issues and kept us on schedule!

We will be going back this coming May and just plan to take a taxi to Maho Beach in the late morning, eat lunch and watch a few planes come in. We will probably stay a couple of hours before returning to downtown for some shopping before our return to the ship. How long should we plan on the taxi drive to Maho Beach and back?

WOW.

I was on-island from May 4th through 18th, and then back for a day on the 25th, and I don't recall any detours or construction that bothered us.

Late morning I would expect to get from the Cruise Facility to Maho in about 30 - 35 minutes, but the return trip could easily take an hour or much more.

It looks like the Jewel is there 8:00 - 5:00. Back on board 4:30? I'd be out of Maho by 2:45, 3:00 at the latest. Back that time out to allow for how much time you want to allot to shopping.

gary

What about weekends? We are going to be there on a Sunday, also the only ship in Port that day.

Traffic will be MUCH lighter, but beaches like Mullet Bay Beach and le Galion could be quite busy with locals enjoying the weekend.

gary

WOW.

I was on-island from May 4th through 18th, and then back for a day on the 25th, and I don't recall any detours or construction that bothered us.

Late morning I would expect to get from the Cruise Facility to Maho in about 30 - 35 minutes, but the return trip could easily take an hour or much more.

It looks like the Jewel is there 8:00 - 5:00. Back on board 4:30? I'd be out of Maho by 2:45, 3:00 at the latest. Back that time out to allow for how much time you want to allot to shopping.

gary

They were working on the bridge and had it closed off and on all day. We also saw work in the downtown area.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Archived