Medical Question

wwva

My doctor constantly harps on me to exercise to help with my diabetes, cholesterol, high blood pressure and shortness of breath, but everyone of these excursions precludes me from participating. Is there a truly "medical reason" that I can't snorkel? It would seem to me that the operator is just doing a CYA type of thing.

Thanks, Joe

I am not sure if you are asking about diving or snorkeling although it appears you are snorkeling. I have done a large number of snorkeling excursions and never once have I been asked any medical question. For diving there is a medical questionaire and based upon your history you would need your physicians clearance to participate.

I would ask your physician about snorkeling. If he/she approves you are good to go. Once again, you don't need to share your medical history with the company providing a snorkeling excursion.

• 1 month later...

Glad you're thinking about getting in the water - it's wonderfully easy. As long as you can make it back up the ladder, all else should be easy.

All operators have snorkel vests, and most require their use. With the vest on and inflated, all you have to do is lean forward and you're looking at the amazing underwater world.

It's easy to get so absorbed in what you're seeing, that you forget what's above you... please take all sun precautions, including heavy-duty sunscreen and covering up. You might want to consider wearing at least a shirt to keep some of the sun off you.

Have a wonderful time!

Wendy

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Joe,

I have, also, never heard of medical restrictions on snorkeling. That said, something to think about is that when you exhale, there is dead air in your throat. You have to exhale enough to clear from your lungs to the mouth. If you stick a snorkel in your mouth, the distance of dead air is from your lungs to the end of the snorkel.

People with shortness of breath could experience trouble breathing with a snorkel. This results in a build up of carbon dioxide. This build up means hyperventilating, stress on the heart, a feeling like you cannot breath and ultimately panic.

You can find out if this is a problem for you just by trying to breath through a snorkel. Put a mask on so you cannot use your nose (or wear a nose clip would be even better) and try using a snorkel. You don't need to be in the water to see if you'll have trouble breathing from it.

Archived