New Orleans Taxis

Granny1

To the folks that have used the taxis in New Orleans, we are flying into New Orleans for a cruise in June so was looking to see how to get from the airport to a hotel hopefully near the port and at this point I am so freaken confused about that but anyhow my question is do those taxis accommodate 4 ladies and their luggage which would consist of 4 reg size suitcases and 4 carry-ons? The price I think I understand as to be $14.00 per person for the trip into the city because there are more than 3, but wondering if the taxis are big enough or maybe we should plan for two taxis and no we aren't big ladies, I know someone would of mentioned that..LOL :p

Thanks for any info on this as your city to me is very comfusing..We don't have such problems in rural Pa so you have a country bumpkin coming to the big city..:p:p

Have a great day folks..

I've done both taxi and I suggest Super Shuttle. taxi there's no waiting. Super Shuttle has a wait until all reservation passengers are on board. Both will drop you off at your hotel. Super shuttle will drive to all of the hotels where the guests are staying. I was lucky enough to be dropped off first.

Thanks for your replys as I was not sure what kind of vehicles were driven for taxis down there but knowing that they do have mini vans taxis relieves some stress.. Another question, are the taxis just outside the doors when you depart the airport or do you have to call for a taxi and hopefully it's a mini van taxi. It would of been so much better to drive down but my niece wants to fly, so I am game just have to do more research. Again thanks for the replys..;)

Granny

Deep breaths! :):):)

do not worry. There are mini van taxis right outside the airport. There will be signs. If you don't see any signs, ask anyone and they will point you in the right direction. You walk outside, and you'll see a sign for the taxi stand. There will be a person there working the taxi stand. There will be a line. The person working the taxi stand will ask you how many people are in your party and will find you an appropriate taxi for all 4 of you together.

When we were there last year, I saw plenty of groups getting into taxis. Not just cars, but vans as well. And that was not a shuttle. that was in the taxi line. You don't have to call for one, just get in that line and they will get the taxi for you

Oh wow, Nadersmom, thank you, thank you..

Now that I know I can get the ladies to a hotel hopefully downtown somewhere as none of us have ever been to New Orleans, now to focus on a hotel. We aren't real fussy, just safe and clean..I know not to go to the east side..

We will fly home directly after the cruise, would really like to stay a couple of days but two of the ladies work at the same place and they will be really missed the week of the cruise so will have to get those ladies back home and I am correct in calculating the price of the taxis of $14.00 per person..;)

A lot of planning..:eek:

Thank you again..

We have used both mini-van's, shuttles, and regular car cabs. They are everywhere and just waiting on you and your money. :D There is always someone outside the terminal waiting to put you in a cab.

The same goes for when you are on your cruise and you are in port and need to catch a cab. You will find various cabs, vans and buses. People will ask you how many are in your party and put you in the right cab. No worries. Relax and enjoy your vacation. :)

Oh wow, Nadersmom, thank you, thank you..

Now that I know I can get the ladies to a hotel hopefully downtown somewhere as none of us have ever been to New Orleans, now to focus on a hotel. We aren't real fussy, just safe and clean..I know not to go to the east side..

We will fly home directly after the cruise, would really like to stay a couple of days but two of the ladies work at the same place and they will be really missed the week of the cruise so will have to get those ladies back home and I am correct in calculating the price of the taxis of $14.00 per person..;)

A lot of planning..:eek:

Thank you again..

You are so very welcome. Last year was our first trip to N.O. and I was freaked out about making sure I knew what we were doing. This year I will be much more relaxed about the whole thing.

One thing I will say is if you read these boards, you will find that many times people say they are having a hard time getting a hotel. Do not wait until a month before you go to book a hotel. there is ALWAYS something going on in N.O. and the hotels book up very quickly, especially close to the French quarter. We stayed at the Drury Inn last year. About a 5 or 6 block walk to the quarter, but a nice, safe walk. And far enough away from the craziness at night. We usually try to find Drury Inns as we've always been happy with them and the one in N.O. is no exception. This year, pricing was much higher than last year. I'm sure it's based on what is going on in town during the time you book. We are still staying at the Drury because it was VERY difficult to find something else close to the quarter for less than $250.00 a night and that was 8 months in advance of our cruise. So, if you can, start looking at hotels, find one that you like and are comfortable with price-wise. And BOOK it now. Find one that has no cancellation fees so that if you come across a better one between now and your trip you can book that and cancel the first one. That way you know you're covered.

I'm pretty sure the $14 per person for cab from the airport to downtown is correct. I know I budgeted like $50 including a nice tip for this trip to cover DH, myself and our son to get to the hotel so that sounds about right. Then I THINK its like $7 per person to go from hotel to port.

Good luck! Have fun. I know this trip I will do a lot less worrying and more relaxing. But I totally understand how easy it is to get anxious when you've never been there and don't know what to expect. ENJOY!

I already have started looking and my first choice was the Drury Inn but when I tried to reserve it said they had nothing open, I will continue to look around but will keep trying the Drury. Thanks again for your help and you seem to know what I was feeling but I do feel better now but will feel even better when all the reservations have been made. If we would of driven down I would of stopped in Gulfport to stay as we have relatives that live there and in fact they are on the same cruise we are going to be on, kinda of a small family reunion.

Well going back to the research..:)

Many of the taxi operators in NOLA are independent cabbies who don't like to take credit cards and if they do they want to use the old carbon type receipts that I just don't trust. Be prepared with small bills cash.

Thanks for this heads up. I too like to be prepared.

Nancy

We used our credit card for hotel, cruise, airfare, ect. But took cash for most everything else last year.

I wanted cash for New Orleans shopping and eating and walking around. Didn't want to use credit card for stopping somewhere just to have a drink. And I knew the cab to the hotel as well as cab to the port would need to be in cash too.

For shopping in Progreso, most things are so cheap that you want to have plenty of 1's and 5's handy. IF they see you pull out a $20, you aren't getting any deals :rolleyes: they "won't have change"

Same for Cozumel. I was told to bring small bills.

then we needed small bills for tipping the luggage porters at the port, the steward, and the waiters.

By the time I had budgeted all of the cash for our trip, I needed a binder to put it all in. all those small bills take up ALOT of room in your purse.

Which reminds me....if you do take a lot of cash, be sure you check to see if your hotel room has a safe. The Drury does NOT.

Also, if you do plan to use your credit card, be sure to contact your CC company and let them know that you will be on vacation using your card more than usual so they are aware and don't put a hold on it based on suspicious behavior. When I did this last year, they made sure I knew that there was an additional fee for using the card in Mexico. One more reason to make sure you have some cash.

Since your not cruising for almost a year I think the problem with Drury may be it's too early. Did you call them or do it on line? Usually on line is restricted until closer to cruise time. They have construction going on right now, but it will be done by then.

With that much advance time to booking you should be able to get a good deal at any of the major hotels right down town. Cab fare from the airport to any downtown hotel or cruise pier is a flat $35 for two, I believe they add $14 for each person over that number. There is a NO transit web site that spells it all out. We always try to book our hotels about 10-11 months out and have to do it by phone as they won't take online reservations that soon. Good luck!!!

Thank you for your information and to everyone that has chirped in here, all the information I can get for this trip is very much welcomed and appreciated and yes I did try the Drury on line so I will put a call into them. Even tho I have cruised before we will have two newbies with us so any information on this wonderful city is very much appreciated.

Thank you all again.;)

• 2 weeks later...
Since your not cruising for almost a year I think the problem with Drury may be it's too early. Did you call them or do it on line? Usually on line is restricted until closer to cruise time. They have construction going on right now, but it will be done by then.

With that much advance time to booking you should be able to get a good deal at any of the major hotels right down town. Cab fare from the airport to any downtown hotel or cruise pier is a flat $35 for two, I believe they add $14 for each person over that number. There is a NO transit web site that spells it all out. We always try to book our hotels about 10-11 months out and have to do it by phone as they won't take online reservations that soon. Good luck!!!

We will be on the Jewel a couple weeks after you get off so tell them to stock up on the makings for my Bahama Mamas.:D

I was just thinking of booking at the Drury for the 5 days after our cruise since I work at an elementary school it will be closed so I figured I might as well stay and explore NO as I've always wanted to got there. What construction is going on and will it be done before we go?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! [...and Nader's Mom!]

This seems to be the right thread for this question: I'm traveling solo...staying a block over from Canal and Bourbon by the French Quarter.

What is the best way to get from the Hotel to the Cruise Terminal on the morning of the cruise?

Taxi? And how much for a single passenger might this cost? Is it metered or flat rate?

Howard

Hi all! [...and Nader's Mom!]

This seems to be the right thread for this question: I'm traveling solo...staying a block over from Canal and Bourbon by the French Quarter.

What is the best way to get from the Hotel to the Cruise Terminal on the morning of the cruise?

Taxi? And how much for a single passenger might this cost? Is it metered or flat rate?

Howard

I have stayed in the same area and it was a easy walk to the pier, flat rate cab is around 10.00. Have fun ! There is also a street car that runs along the riverfront to the pier area.

I have stayed in the same area and it was a easy walk to the pier, flat rate cab is around 10.00. Have fun ! There is also a street car that runs along the riverfront to the pier area.

Thanks for the info! I think a $10 cab ride is worth it instead of dragging luggage on a street car... Or I can walk if it's early...I got wheels! We'll see!

HLR

• 1 month later...

While researching for our trip Feb 2014, I googled "new orleans taxi fare", and it came up where you can put in beginning here and ending there and it gives you an approximate taxi charge. I know currently it is approx 33.00 from air port to french quarter...one of the sites said 30.00 so i just add a few bucks to those figures, another site said 36.00 and i figure this, if any left over it stays in my pocket . Hope this helps

Archived