Wow....Hal shouldn't have ticked me off....

alwaysfrantic

I have my doubts. I find it very distressing to be basically called a moron when I can't see something on an iPad. It happened more than once. That has been about the nicest thing that has been said. When you get beaten on any time you post something it wears you down. I really see very little value in being here. I said I would post from my Oosterdam cruise but I really don't see the point anymore ............

It certainly is all very disheartening. There have been more than enough hurt feelings to go around. I have never before suggested a topic should be shut down but this one seems to be doing great harm to our board.

Ok, I must be missing something here. the board has basically banded together on a principle. At least that's how I see it.

there have been a couple come on doing some name calling not understanding the principles. But that's the way it goes sometimes.

Lorekauf- Lorene - I don't recall anyone calling you a moron - I tried to help with the FB page and if I send something that upset you then I apologize.

But, when you lost your luggage, we were all sympathetic. That was important to you. You got the PS - great - we all rejoiced for you.

this is not important to you understandably but it is for some of us. So, how about empathizing with us and it's not about wine anymore -it's about how it was done. Who knows what's next? The next thing might be important to you ;)

Smooth seas:D

I think the difference between most of you and yours truly is the following:

I don't "need" a lot to be happy. I'm happy simply to board the ship, unpack my bags and attend the muster drill (where I try to listen to the proceedings and put a smile on my face). I'm happy when we get to the ports I have long anticipated, but if we can't get there, BONUS, one more sea day. If there's a hurricane, and we must divert, GREAT, where are we going now?

I'm the kind of person who gets cabin fever after 48 hours at home. I would travel year-round if I didn't have a career. I never thought I would EVER see Europe, let alone 27 countries in 9 years. My family never thought I would walk or talk. Am I tempermental? Sure. Do I have a big mouth? Absolutely. But I'm grateful for every moment on board a ship or at a destination. There are certain services I patronize more than others, but really, it's about not staring at four beige walls for a couple of weeks. I can be perfectly at my leisure staring out at the ocean.

So no one policy is going to do it for me. No one change, handled well or handled badly, is going to make me wave goodbye. Even a significant problem with service or facilities can be addressed on board, and if necessary, addressed again once back at home.

When disappointment turns to anger and then turns to dramatic changes in behaviour, that's where you lose me completely.

to each his or her own. I have sailed quite happily with other lines, but i prefer hal. The idea that anyone would allow the alcohol policy, or the smoking policy, or any one directive, to so influence their purchasing decisions that they decide to forego hal is ludicrous to me. I have sailed on many a ship, to many a port, without having any alcohol at all. It is possible to have fun without a wine glass in hand.

I so totally agree!!! Really people, do you need a case of wine to have a nice vacation???

Sadly, with the explosion of the internet, I think sometimes social skills and empathy get forgotten in the haste to get thoughts on "paper." Meaning and intent can easily get lost in translation from thoughts to the written word. For those of you who are fairly new to CC, it was a FAR different place a decade ago than it is today. It's not limited to the HAL board, it's Cruise Critic and social media in general.

I think when hot button topics like this come up, we all need to remember to show compassion for the people who are affected by a change. For some people the change in wine policy is HUGE, and for others it's a non-issue. That doesn't minimize the very real concerns that big wine drinkers have with the drastic change in policy. The same goes for any policy change or problem on a ship...if you like it or aren't affected, that doesn't mean others aren't.

Archived