topless sunbathing

ms_shell

OK, I know French Polynesia is....well, French. But how prevalent is topless sunbathing? What about poolside at the resorts?

Not sure how far I'll go to avoid tan lines, but if it's a common practice, I might get over my modesty.

Do not remember where I read/heard that, but no topless sunbathing on Rarotonga, which pretty much put an end to my rebellious thinking of dancing hula on a tropical beach, in a grass skirt on my 50s B-day.;)

Anna

OK, I'll admit it. I did it. It took a little getting used to, but after a while you hardly care anymore. There weren't a lot of people doing it, but I certainly wasn't the only one. The locals don't care, it's common there. Even the crew did it on their time off on the beach. Only the Americans are surprised by it. I'm sure some people on my cruise didn't approve, but as they say, "When in Rome..." I did, however, try to pick out of the way spots on the beach to sunbathe, trying to stay away from families with children out of respect. I have to admit, it was rather liberating and it's nice not to have any tan lines!

JulieMac

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I also went sans bikini top at all available beach stops (Bora Bora, Motu Mahana, and the pool at our dayroom hotel). Being exposed (pardon the pun) to the practice on other international trips, I really don't find it a major issue. As for poolside on the ship, I untied for only for the face-down portion, as the population is a bit more conservative (read: American). On the last day we just took it up to the unpopulated side of the topmost sundeck. Several of the international crew on thier beach time also went topless for sunning, it was very casual, not purient at all. To avoid shocking my less-adventurous countrymen/women, we usually set up early at the far edge of the beach to set up our tanline-free camp. After the first rush of exposure, it really isn't a big deal. Just enjoy the day and the tiare-scented air, and remind yourself of sunscreen often. :cool:

Happy travels, and happy sunning!

OK, I know French Polynesia is....well, French. But how prevalent is topless sunbathing? What about poolside at the resorts?

Not sure how far I'll go to avoid tan lines, but if it's a common practice, I might get over my modesty.

We stayed at the sheraton and there seemed to be a lot of topless there. Also if you talk with some of the female crew members, they can tell you where the best places to beach/topless are.

• 1 year later...

Now again the Sundeck is Topless? :)

We want to go next year. And were wondering if the Sundeck was Topless OK as it is on some of the other ships. We did not want to offend or be singled out by the ship staff:mad: but on the other hand we usually go topless.

I realize the beach and hotel probably are ok cuz it is FP. But what about all the ship people who frequent the beach at the same time:eek: .

Oh, well. When in French Polynesia do as the natives do and let the tops fly.

What are the thoughts of those who have been?

Yeah, I'm thinking that the sun deck is way too public to go topless. You wil have lots of chances on land. We joke that my DH has been married way to long because he didn't even realize that most of the women were topless...until I mentioned it to him. Then a young lady came to ask for directions...it was great...."What do you say to a naked lady in an elevator?"

Charlie

Archived