Etna from Messina or Catania

Chairsin

I am so confused!!! On our September cruise we stop at both Messina(10-6) and Catania(8-6). We have been to Taormina twice so we thought this time we would go to Mt. Etna from one of these two ports and do some hiking. Hikes from Catania start from Rifugio Sapienza(via cable car and tram) near where all the tour buses take everyone who does not hike to see the Silvestri Crater. From Messina the way up is from Piano Poverenza( via tram), which is where the lava flowed from the last major eruption in 2002.According to some information the north side( from Messina) is more scenic but a longer drive. Others information would lead me to believe that the south approach which is closer to the port is more akin to a lunar landscape and more crowded and touristy. Anyone have any recent experience with with either or both? Also which city is more interesting -- Messina or Catania -- since the other day we are likely to just wander around the port city on our own. Also since transportation is pretty limited in this area we will likely use a private tour company( they also say you should not hike Mt Etna without a guide). Has anyone had any good experiences with any private tour companies in southern Sicily ?There is very little info on CC's ports of call message board about Mt. Etna.

Messina and Catania will be the 2 most unappealing ports of call for your itinerary. We did not get off the ship in Catania, but heard many complaints from those who did. Messina is maybe a little better. I would check out the distance from each port to Eatna, choose the shorter distance and make a Spa day out of the other port.

Thanks for the heads up about Messina and Catania being less than interesting -- we had suspected as much -- nice to have confirmation. If I can find a reputable tour guide I think we will visit Mt Etna from Messina ( event hough it is further away) in part because we are thinking from Catania we might take the train down to Siracusa. I'd still love to hear from anyone regarding hiking Mt Etna.

Also, on a slightly related topic,since we are doing BTB 10 day cruises Barcelona to Athens and Athens to Monte Carlo I am trying to figure out the likely locations of our shopping with the chef excursions. For the second leg I will assume it is Livorno since we have been shopping with the chef there on a prior SB cruise, but on the first leg with Palamos, St Tropez, Ajaccio, Golfo Aranci, Civitavecchia, Sorrento, Messina and Mykonos as the ports of call I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Of so let me try another approach. I just received info back from Viator regarding private tours. Has anyone ever book private tours through them? I'd log to hear you experiences good or bad. Thanks!

Of so let me try another approach. I just received info back from Viator regarding private tours. Has anyone ever book private tours through them? I'd log to hear you experiences good or bad. Thanks!

Yes, I have used them with no problems, when there is no other choice, such as ToursByLocals.

http://www.toursbylocals.com/MountEtnaTaorminaWineTastingShoreExcursion

Archived