Is Seabourn Really All Inclusive?

ricker

Gratuities remain a nagging question in my mind. Having booked Holland America's cruises in the past which were marketed as "Gratuities Included", only to discover once on board that tips were really expected by the staff, and it was made known to the passengers. So my question is, does "tipping not permitted" really mean that? Or is there a gratuity "creep" and passengers surreptitiously slip envelopes to the staff so that eventually, it becomes expected?

Rick J

Tips REALLY are inclusive. There are those of us that feel that if you are particularly well cared for...at the end of the cruise...you slip that person something because you WANT to. All the cruisers are treated the same. It is just an individual thing the way you handle it. It is my feeling that most do not tip.

Rick~~~many of us leave "a love envelope" with the Purser which goes to "The Crew Fund." Several sailings, a number of us have pooled our $$$$'s and hosted a Crew party.....which is always a big hit! Last Christmas we left funds for the Crew to enjoy an "All Kings Day" party.....we asked that Corona beer and lobster be served! A nice way to say "thank you" to all the Crew members.

I always give small gifts as well.....they are akin to family members to me!

Happy Trails and Sails!

Martita

The way we do it...we give our envelopes to Luca and have him distribute them. It is very well received. Understand, we have been on the legend a lot, and consider these young people family. Luca is very happy to do this, and I can tell you...within MINUTES...the young people are coming around and saying thank you very much. We give a fair amount in total, but, not a lot individualy, which they understand! They are truly special!

My wife & I have only sailed on the Pride. Each time we have donated a sum to the Employees Fund (hate the word "Welfare").We have never contributed to the Fund expecting anything other than what one would normally expect: BEST SERVICE EVER!!! Yet we have gotten many a "thank you" from the crew. I doubt that the officers share in any of the monies yet in Instanbul, Karl (the best ever Maitre D'and two of the guys) , carried my wife off the Pride IN HER WHEELCHAIR. What other cruise line would do that.

If you want to "tip", donate to the Employee Fund at the Pursers Desk. They don't advertise it. A shame! They should.

Just wanted to add that even though attempting to give some monetary offerings didn't work, I was on the Christmas/New Years sailing and took a lot of "gift bags" containing assorted things for a great many of the staff/crew. Miss Martita put the idea in my head and I thank her for that! I also had a very nice Christmas gift for my stewardess.......

Claudia

Matt~~~From sailing to sailing I shop for Crew members gifts. If it's before Halloween, I will take "spooky" heargear, earrings, etc., etc for them to wear to their Crew party. If it's before Christmas, Easter, etc......same plan. I always board with many tiara's.....not unusual to spot several cute housekeeper's in the morning, tidying suites wearing a "flashing light tiara!" I like to give items that they will have fun wearing......especially to the after hours Crew bar. Might even see Capt'n at their party, wearing lighted red devil's horns! Carumba!

I love and appreciate every Staff and Crew member......they are so deserving! My small gifts are only tokens of my sincere "thank you's!"

(I also leave a "love envelope" for my housekeeper)

Small things mean a lot! To all of us......

Martita B.

One of my favorite suggestions from Martita (among the many, like the door stops) was international phone calling cards. But she says that they are no longer as useful because of more accessible onboard phone service for the crew.

But I still like that idea. Another thing is to remember which currency that the

recipient is most likely to be able to use, such as Euros and Dollars at the end of the Pride crossing.

One group I try to remember is the laundry staff because I send out a lot of things for pressing and cleaning. Although there are laundry facilities onboard, I don't darken that door (or the one to the gym, either).

Jane

Matt - There were gift bags for females and for males. The "female" gift bags had a Swatch watch-found these in Naples a couple months prior to the cruise and they were different "Florida" themes- and Christmas candy, Christmas earrings or broaches (inexpensive), and CD of Christmas music. Bought the CD's in Antigua on Christmas Eve so it was steel-drum Christmas carols. The "male" gift bags had nice waterproof wallets, Christmas candy, some type of Christmas tie pin or cufflinks, and one of the CD's. The stewardess got a gift bag and a very nice leather carryon as she was scheduled for vacation shortly after the holiday sailing....Found a nice luggage shop in Antigua and purchased the carryon there. There was also a Christmas card in each bag.

Claudia

bgood.....when new Seabourn Sailor's see us boarding with our cardboard box's

they probably wouldn't think they are FULL of gifts for the Staff and Crew!

Yes, we spoil them.....but certainly not to the level they spoil us!

They are ALL extended family! It's a love boat!

Martita B.

Like Jane, I've always liked Martha's idea of giving telephone cards, but there seems to be less need for them now.

We also always donate to the crew welfare fund (aka the party fund!!!), and to our stewardess, whom I usually give a combination of things brought from home, as well as cash.

The best reward for the crew, however, remains the onboard comment cards. A "10" rating, with names specified in the response, goes a long way towards promotion and salary increases, and gets shared with the employee. It's the best way to say "thank you" to the crew beyond the welfare fund and gift to your stewardess. I cannot emphasize enough, to those who have never sailed Seabourn, how important it is to get those cards filled out before you leave the ship. Every comment is read, and acted upon.

Denyse

Denyse~~~I always name those crew members that I have thought went "above and beyond" on the comment sheets also......then I take the sheet home and mail it directly to the Miami Headquarters.......Blue Lagoon Drive, along with a note.

It's hard not to include everyone as they are all such hard/efficient workers. From the Bridge down to the boiler room........and all geniunely caring Sailors.

Miss M.

Besides the crew fund, we like to bring little things on board after touring. Often we find flowers at markets to brighten up where the stewardess stays, or little local delicacies. They also love fashion magazines.

Sea-hawk~~~glad to hear someone else brings fresh flowers back to the ship!

My good buddy, JB and I always jump in a Taxi and head to the open market..we buy tons of beautiful, exotic flowers and then give them to the Crew and to good friends for their Suites. I like to buy the tall "birds of paradise", ask Tori or Cathy for a vase and send it down to the Crew mess as I don't believe they have fresh flowers. My personal favorite is the tiny yellow/white freesias......

wonderful fragrance!

(Oh don't make me cry......just thinking about all the memorable experiences makes me nostalgic and homesick!)

Martita

Oh, Martita...

Truly a woman after my own heart! ;)

I love giving flowers, and what a wonderful expression to give the crew, without being a "monetary" submission.... Who doesn't love flowers to brighten their surroundings???

(And I always wonder why I give them, but never receive....<sniff>...I've learned to buy them for myself if I want them,, and not to "wait"!)

You truly are a Southern lady, to be sure! :)

Paul

Paul~~~In Funchal, last March, J.B. and I bought so many bouquets, the Taxi driver had to use his trunk.....we needed help just haulin' 'em up the gangway!

We went all over the Pride knocking on our friends doors, callin' out, "you hoo, Florists here!"......I buy the real nosegays and give them to the sweet Pursers, Housekeepers and always send one down to the Medical/Hospital, for them to enjoy.

Just a small remembrance of how much we love them.

Another idea is to buy a "sack" of the flashing light's......I find them on E-Bay. The Crew loves them! I think they must wear them to their Club.

Martita

Thank you Martita. I grow and love flowers and know that they can brighten up any room.

From reading these posts for the last few months, we have figured out you are from south of San Angelo. We have dear friends in that town , and all over the state, even tho I am origanally from Chicago.

We are sorry that you will not be on our cruise this Sunday, but know we will meet up in the future.

Archived