1st time alaska summit august help.....

Whirlwind

Help Please, our first time on a alaskan cruise, feel overwhelmed about packing and what to bring. we are in room 8156 cc Summit...sounds wonderful, flying from pgh into anchorage, taking the train to Seward, long flight I am sure, we are flying into anchorage the day before aug 4th....then the 5th taking the train to seward......Any suggestions, ????? what about clothing issues???what do you need to wear on the ship?????How about clothes for excursions? thanks

Have you signed up for the cruise critic party? If we get 25 people, Celebrity will host a party for us the first night.

There are a lot of posts dealing with what to bring and what to pack. Do a search and you will get some info. There is even a post about what people did not take out of their suitcase. This is very informative.

See you on Aug. 5th. We fly in from LA that day.

Hi Whirlwind - we are on the same cruise. This is also our first Alaska cruise and we are also feeling a little overwhelmed about what to bring. We are planning to "bite the bullet" and have some laundry done on the ship (mucho $$) because we are on cruisetour # 1 before the cruise and I don't see any way to take almost two weeks worth of clothes. My husband and I bought some his n' hers waterproof windbreaker type rain jackets, and we are taking a couple of fleece pullovers, but otherwise not taking a lot of cold weather gear. I think from reading these boards that the only times it is cold are the two days sailing by the glaciers. Otherwise, 60s and 70s seem to be the daytime highs. My husband is going to do the rent a tux thing for the 2 formal nights rather than having to lug a suit, etc. By the way, please come on over to our roll call for this cruise!

You will need the layers that are mentioned over and over. :) Basic- lightweight lined jacket- key is quick drying, rain gear, knit hat and gloves, 2 pair of walking shoes, layers. Cruise dining clothes, definately mix and match, :) What are your excursions??? Few need anything special, again the layers work best. In ports will have your warmest weather usually , coldest is sailing your glaciers.

My clear recommendation is to consider taking the 11:30am Kenai Fjords boat tour- this is the top choice and superior for close up glacier viewing and varied wildlife compared to anything you will see from your ship. they will store your bags and you can be on your ship around 6pm.

You have stated you are in room 8156????that is what room we are to be in, what is it like????it is supposed to be a cc??

Thanks for your help,

I bet you will be sad be getting off the ship.

Any advise for me and my husband, Thanks

We won't be all that sad. We are doing a cruisetour and have another 6 days. It took me a long time to convince my husband to go to Alaska. Our summers are short enough without using some of that time looking at more snow - His thoughts, not mine!!

Nancy

Archived