Sapphire D740

ToUtahNow

Hi Mark; I don't know how helpful these will be but they may give you at least an idea of the balcony. Dolphin Deck is the second deck above the Promenade and D740 is on the left side next to the suite. I haven't stayed in this exact stateroom but ANY stateroom on the aft is GREAT!

2289786180102519826Lssnjq_fs_zpsfe500683.jpg

2218909090102519826QVkYUs_ph_zpse40a8077.jpg

2728160180102519826hxpwLd_ph_zpsb953b828.jpg

Hi Mark; I don't know how helpful these will be but they may give you at least an idea of the balcony. Dolphin Deck is the second deck above the Promenade and D740 is on the left side next to the suite. I haven't stayed in this exact stateroom but ANY stateroom on the aft is GREAT!

Thank you, that helped a bunch. We are doing an Alaskan cruise and I was wondering how exposed the balcony was in case the weather was bad. Your second picture shows the depth of the balcony which looks like it will work just fine.

Thanks - Mark

You would be smart to reconsider being on the aft...it appears this ship is a similar class to The Diamond and we were in D739 and could not use the balcony because of the garbage stench emanating from the big vents nearby. Would never cruise Princess again because of the way it was handled by management.

ToUtahNow, while I don't doubt that seabreezer may have had an unpleasant experience I want to assure you that I and most of my friends ALWAYS book aft cabins, including the Owner's and Grand Suite, and have NEVER had a problem with odor--on Sapphire, Diamond or any other Grand Class ship. Think about it--would they put the most expensive staterooms on the ship in an area susceptible to odor problems?

[quote name=f-

]ToUtahNow, while I don't doubt that seabreezer may have had an unpleasant experience I want to assure you that I and most of my friends ALWAYS book aft cabins, including the Owner's and Grand Suite, and have NEVER had a problem with odor--on Sapphire, Diamond or any other Grand Class ship. Think about it--would they put the most expensive staterooms on the ship in an area susceptible to odor problems?

I have booked the same suite that seabreezer recently had on the Diamond, for Australia in 2015.

I am cancelling this cruise because of the potential garbage smell. I'm not going to spend a huge amount of money for a suite, if there is a chance that I may have to smell garbage when out on my balcony.

There is a thread dating back to 2006 about this issue. It is an ongoing problem, which has not been resolved. It appears to be a design flaw with this class of ship, and nothing can be done about it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=360686

Does anyone have any pictures or comments. I am specifically wondering about the balcony.

Mark

Mark

I was on the Sapphire in December to Hawaii in cabin D741. It was my first time in an aft facing cabin and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I did not encounter any problems with smell. I absolutely loved the sound of the wake. We had a rough crossing and you could feel the up/down of the ship more. But I thought it was like being rocked to sleep!! The cabin is very quiet since you are at the end of the long hallway. We had one of the big suites next to us and saw the couple as we sailed out of San Pedro and then never ran into them again.

I read the other threads about the garbage smell and was somewhat concerned when I took that cabin. I did not detect any odors. You can hear a fan at times - but only when on the balcony. As you can see from the attached photos, (at least I hope I am attaching them!!) there is the "obstruction" that is stated on the Princess website. But I found the wall to be a great protection during the cold windy crossing to the islands. I would think it would do the same in Alaska.

As f-mattox said, these aft facing balconies have a loyal following. I too know people who will jump on them when they are available. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Kathleen

14950386_2012HawaiiDec29toDec31068.jpg.ae7711560d07861224f82f20643d66c3.jpg

ToUtahNow, while I don't doubt that seabreezer may have had an unpleasant experience I want to assure you that I and most of my friends ALWAYS book aft cabins, including the Owner's and Grand Suite, and have NEVER had a problem with odor--on Sapphire, Diamond or any other Grand Class ship. Think about it--would they put the most expensive staterooms on the ship in an area susceptible to odor problems?

Yes they would and they did. Perhaps it is only the Dolphin Deck?

Archived