Cave tubing for Seniors

pballa

We will be in Belize in March 2014 and have booked a cave tubing excursion for our group. My Mom is 73 and worried that the trek to the caves may be too much for her. I know the walk is rocky, but not sure if it is hilly or not or just difficult to maneuver. My Mom is in fairly good shape (plays golf several times a week, but rides the cart). Anyone have an advice if this will or will not be too much for a senior?

The walk is not bad at all. It is on a gravel trail that is wide enough to walk two by two with your tube in tote. Just pace yourself and enjoy the beautiful foliage around you. I will say it was about a 15-20 minute walk.

We have done this excursion twice with .bz and it is not too bad. Most of the walk is on level ground. There are some places that you will go down or up some rock steps (in the walk in caves), but the tour guides are wonderful and they will go at your pace. We have had older couples in our tour before and they didn't have a problem. We have also done this walk with our 3 year old daughter and then again when she was 5 years old (along with the grandson, which is the same age).

I did notice that this last time we went with .bz, they actually carried the tubes for us (their employees went ahead of us and carried them and we didn't see them again until we got to the point where you get in the water).

Also, there are 2 different places you can go in the water. If they are feeling tired, ask to go in at the first stop. Otherwise, you can continue on down the path for another 10 minutes or so to the other entrance.

I have a lot of pictures in my reviews (2 of them) and it's located in my signature. Just click on them. :)

mitsugirly, do you have more of an address with this cave tubing company than just ".bz"? That alone certainly won't get me there.

Thanks

bob123

cavetubing . bz :) Most people around here refer to 2 of the companies either .com or .bz We went with .bz

Pballa My family just got back from our cruise and we took my 78 year old mother cave tubing. She is probably not in as good of shape as your mother as she does not have a weekly exercise routine but she is still very active. She made the trek just fine and was so happy she decided to try it. For her the worst part was the rock. The path has been covered with river rock not gravel. So that makes it easy to stumble. We just made sure someone was walking by her side in case she stumbled. Good hiking water shoes really helped too. She loved it and was one of the highlights of her trip!

Archived