Do the balcony doors have child-proof locks higher up?

My sisters-in-law are each bringing their small kids on our upcoming cruise on the Star to Alaska....and one asked if there are locks placed higher up on the balcony door so kids can't open it. They're in a minisuite. She doesn't want her boys sleeping next to the balcony if they can get out readily. I told her I was almost positive that they have the locks up higher. I would think this would be a must because of all the families with children cruising now.

Does anyone know for sure? Thanks!

We were on the Star 5/22-5/29 in a mini-suite and truly I don't remember seeing child proof locks. The handles on the door to the balcony are locked if turned one way and unlocked if turned another. For example, I might have this backwards, but if the handle is turned up, it's locked and down it's unlocked. I do remember they weren't all that easy to turn to open. I doubt a young child would be able to move the handle. My suggestion would be to call NCL and hopefully, you will get someone who has the knowledge to answer your question. Enjoy the cruise!

Katie

We were recently on the Dawn as well with our 14 month old. Did not notice any childproof locks. There is one big handle that sits about as high as a door knob at home. However, when it is locked it is straight up and would be hard for a child to turn.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! And, most of all....my sisters-in-law will thank you (or NCL for installing the locks!) :p Is the lock up higher or is it like the one others have mentioned...where it twists a certain way to lock it? In other words, would a 5 year old boy and busy 3 year old boy (he'll celebrate that milestone on the ship).........absolutely not be able to open it themselves? They're actually pretty well-behaved kids and their parents will always be keeping an eye on them.

Thanks again! :)

I am writing this from the internet cafe on the Star. There is definitely a child-proof lock on our balcony door.

I am writing this from the internet cafe on the Star. There is definitely a child-proof lock on our balcony door.

Not to scare anyone, but I'm just curious what type of lock you have in you room that is "childproof". Our lock on the Dawn was hard to open and about 3 or 4 feet off the floor, but I don't know if I would call it childproof.

There are tow locks on the door. One is a "handle lock" located (where else?0 on the handle. It's more like a latch, I guess. The other is located where the two closed doors meet and is imbedded in the door frame. It is higher than the other one and you really have to look for it. We didn't notice it until several days into our cruise. Of course, it doesn't key lock so you still have to be careful, but it's definitely there.

an inch as the doors are very very heavy. My five year old is a very big boy. In all honesty I had a hard time with the door. If your SIL is worried, have her bring a length of dowling or broom handle with her to wedge in the door when they are not using the balcony. Also she could invest in a door alarm. You use them if you have a pool to let people know if anyone opens the door to the backyard. I don't know how much they cost but it might be worth it if she is really worried. :o

Archived