Just back from the Dream.Med Melody.

We have just returned from a great week on the Thomsom Dream week 27th July to 3rd Aug.

Staff were great! Always hospitable, with friendly greetings wherever we were.

Broadway shows were brilliant as ever and we did the backstage tour which was fascinating. We had a great chat with ‘Pastie’ the sound engineer and Adam the A/V guy as well as members of the entertainments team.

We ate in the Orion every evening, as we have been on the Dream before, and knew the food and service would be excellent; we were not disappointed! Food around the ship was, in general excellent although I agree with previous comments that a few dishes were lukewarm.

Our cabins were well maintained although in cabin 5034, where our eldest children slept, the air con vibrated the ceiling panels when the ship was moving which kept them awake every night. You could see pieces of card wedged into the ceiling panels where previous occupants had tried to silence the erratic rattles. Word of warning - the sockets in cabin 5032 were only operative when the main cabin lights were on, so if we wanted to leave anything on charge, we had to leave the lights on aswell (maybe a fault).

Excursions were brilliant and a well-oiled operation and IMO good value for money. We did however find Barcelona covered in graffiti, over-crowded and smelt of drains! There was one occasion where tender transfers to Rapallo from the ship had to be delayed by Captain Roy due to force 15 waves (exciting to say the least, was the choppy ride) but no issues; the captain clearly had the safety of passengers and crew in mind.

Blessing on board: Yes we had a marriage blessing on board with Captain Roy Dearman as a surprise for my wife (25th anniversary) and was brill. Be aware you are video’d and many photos are taken - the Package DVD/all prints and digital files were £400 which is rather steep after the initial £185 for the ceremony itself, but a once in a lifetime celebration so how could we pass it up?

Issues raised about lack of bar staff/cut backs on previous forums – yes, I found this a problem in the Medusa Lounge. After a 4-5 hour shore excursion, washed and headed there as it was cooler to get a beer. Could not get service at the bar, but was invited take a seat and someone would come to take my order. I counted 20 odd tables occupied but only one girl taking orders and bringing drinks. I waited 15 mins and gave up and went to the Ocean Bar next door and got served straight away (at the Bar). Not on one occasion but on 3 days it was the same, I witnessed some people who were a little miffed when approaching the bar to be told the same as me, sit down! Other areas of the ship seemed to be fine.

Having been on the Dream in August 2011, I was concerned that standards might have slipped, as voiced by some members. However, compared to the Island Escape (August 2012), no comparison, everything is far better on the Dream!

We have already booked Celebration for August 2014 with free AI + voucher worth £100 off. GREAT>>> :)

Your review was very reassuring to read. Getting jittery now. Going to get the cases out next weekend. Determined not to over pack! I will put a strict limit on himself s luggage. :) After all he did not want the extra 5kg, I on the other hand thought yes why not. So that extra 5kg is all mine...

Your review was very reassuring to read. Getting jittery now. Going to get the cases out next weekend. Determined not to over pack! I will put a strict limit on himself s luggage. After all he did not want the extra 5kg, I on the other hand thought yes why not. So that extra 5kg is all mine...

Remember you can only put 23kg in your case so the other 2kg will have to go in OHs case.;) No need to be jittery. Have a lovely holiday.:)

Hi Kentel

Have fun, if you pick this up whilst on board. Head to the Orion Bar and Table 9ish for the bald table waiter named Roger. He is the most entertaining character and signs well with the pepper pot, Rafael is the drinks guy. sit in that area and you will have fun especialy on the last night. Although I don't think the Maitre-de are too impressed.

We had Fernando as our head waiter on the 3 times on the Dream. A very nice, polite gentleman. He serenades you on his guitar. His asst Joseph is a young lad again very polite and a bit on the quiet side but so attentive. We have had Alan and Rod as our wine waiters. Alan is quiet while Rod is a bit of a comedian. We used to tease him and call him Tin Tin due to his sticky up spiky hair. We've had Patrick whose wife works as a bar steward. A lovely gentle couple. And if course we must mention Ferdinand another wine waiter. You either love or hate him, he is so OTT and funny.

maybe we should stat up a thread about the lovely staff on board.r

we are booked on the dream at the end of the month, thanks for the info on this ship, very helpful, my missus had a question for me tonight, hopefully someone can put her mind at rest !! will she need to take an iron with her or is there one onboard :confused:

we are booked on the dream at the end of the month, thanks for the info on this ship, very helpful, my missus had a question for me tonight, hopefully someone can put her mind at rest !! will she need to take an iron with her or is there one onboard :confused:

We were on Dream last year, unfortunately, you are not allowed to use an iron on board ;)

we found a travel iron in our case that must have been left from our previous holiday however and had that for emergencies.

Archived