Honeymooners robbed/tied up at gunpoint in Nassau

aggiejade

I happened to see this article when researching Nassau. I also read some of the comments. Not trying to scare anyone, just want everyone to be cautious. Some good advice for new cruisers is to leave nice jewelry, ATM and credit cards, large amounts of cash, expensive cameras and other valuables in the safe in your cabin.

http://www.tribune242.com/news/2013/aug/02/us-honeymooners-tied-and-robbed-nassau/

That is an extremely scary situation! We are about to cruise to Nassau. I have been there once before. I don't like the place and plan to spend the day on the ship. Years ago, before I could travel, I always dreamed of going to the Bahamas. But once I had experienced it, I was completely let down. Heck, I liked Progresso Mexico better.

3013 Sept Carnival Ecstacy

2011 Dec Carnival Fascination

2010 Sept Carnival Elation

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That is an extremely scary situation! We are about to cruise to Nassau. I have been there once before. I don't like the place and plan to spend the day on the ship. Years ago, before I could travel, I always dreamed of going to the Bahamas. But once I had experienced it, I was completely let down. Heck, I liked Progresso Mexico better.

3013 Sept Carnival Ecstacy

2011 Dec Carnival Fascination

2010 Sept Carnival Elation

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

As a cruise port, alot of people don't like it.. they don't go far enough away from the busy wharf.

The Bahamas is made up of 700 island and cays. Don't count out a wonderful vacation paradise. Just not as a cruise destination.

Is the crime rate in Freeport as bad as it is in Nassau?

I've never been to Freeport but am thinking about going there on a cruise.

No, seems Nassau has far more of a problem than any other island.

Just to let you know, we were on the Carnival Pride just this past week and were given a statement from the captain warning us that the Embassy had issued warnings regarding crime in Nassau. We were emerged not to display any jewelry or to take much cash or credit cards with us. We were also urged to stay in the area closest to the port. We did venture to Cable Beach and took the jitney. We had no problems but we were cautious and were constantly aware of our surroundings. We still had a very nice time!

JUst back from Nassau on Sensation, was there on Breeze last month. no problems seen or heard of. We over nighted but came back on ship about 6 pm for dinner. Had a great time at the new Fat Tuesday on the beach Junkanoo as well as Sr frogs where we had an excellent conch salad prepared table side. We don;t walk anywhere with visible jewelery at home or abroad.

Archived