Olliekl and Others from MED Trips

Anyone from recent Brilliance or other MED trips - settle a discussion. (As if this web site EVER settled anything). How "DRESSY" is formal night on Mediterannean Cruises? September - October season

Thanks

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I'm curious about this issue as well.

Are women mostly in evening gowns, cocktail dresses or just nice dresses/pants suits.

Are gentlemen mostly in tuxedos or suits?

Indeed, how formal is formal?

We need to hear from those in the know for Mediterranean cruises. :)

I didn't see anything all that different on the formal nights on the Splendour. Maybe just a teensy bit dressier, but not by much. The difference I saw was the other nights (Smart Casual and Casual) seemed to be a little dressier.

You might post this thread on the Cruise Fashion board. You'd probably get more answers over there.

rastern, to be safe, you should probably assume that the vast majority of the people will be honoring the dress code. We're going on the Brilliance in three weeks to the Med, and I plan to wear a suit or tuxedo on formal nights, probably a blazer and tie on smart casual nights and a polo shirt of collared shirt and dockers on casual nights. On my previous RCCL Mediterranean trip in 2001, people were more formal than in the Caribbean, and on my Celebrity Baltics trip last summer, it was quite formal, and about half the men wore suits on Informal (smart casual) nights. Hope this helps.

Allen

Just got back from 6/5 med on Brilliance. There were three formal nights. The first formal night was on the day when we we in Florence so although people dressed, you did see pant suits, skirts and blouses and more men in Suites. The second formal night was the really dressy one. Many ladies had on long dresses, and gowns and the guys either had a tux or a dark suite on. The last formal night was also on a sea day and many people did dress up for this one too.

On our Celebrity Millenium Eastern Med cruise in October 2000, I would guess at least 40% of the men had on tuxedos, and 40% had on dark suits, and 15 percent sports coats and ties.

We have done long cruises on RCI and I would guess the percentages on our trip from New Zealand, Tahiti and Hawaii in 2003 was more like 30% tux, 50% dark suit, 10% sports coats and ties.

In other words 90% of the people were pretty close to formal dress. Most of the women had on nice dresses, formal gowns or cocktail dresses.

jc

Archived