Boy, Do I need help!

Eboo

After reading these boards I think I really messed up. I scheduled shore excursions completely throught the ship (Diamond Princess). I went by their times and thought we could do two in one day. In Juneau we are scheduled to do the Mendenhall Glacier float trip and later go to the original alaska salmmon bake. Is that even possible? In Skagway we were going to go horseback riding for 3 hours and do the White Pass railway. We've never been to Alaska so we need someone experienced to help us out.

Thanks!

We just returned from the Island Princess on the 25th. I booked all my excursions independently, and all went well. But I noticed that Princess really has a tight control over their excursions. (Going and coming) so I would contact them and ask about any "overlap" questions. If they offer it, you probably will be ok, but call and confirm

In Juneau we arrive at 12:30p and sail at 10:00 p

The mendenhall glacier float trip is 1:30 to 5:00 and the original alaska salmon bake is 6:00 to 8:00

In Skagway we arrive at 5:00A and sail at 8:45 P

The horseback riding adventure is from 7:30A to 11:00A and the white pass scenic railway is 12:40P to 4:10P

We are in Ketchikan only in the morning 6 - 12:30

we weren't sure what to do there.

We aren't sure about Victoria in the evening either 7 - 12:30

Thanks for any help you can give to us newbies.

I think that you'll be fine for your shore excursions. Generally the rule is usually 1 hour in between excursions. The cruise ship controls excursions times pretty tightly, so you probably don't have to worry about making it to your second excursion on time.

Also the excursions you booked sound pretty good. You'll get a good taste of Alaska.

Also in Ketchikan, think about a flightseeing trip to Misty Fjords. If not, then just walk along Creek Street there in Ketchikan.

In Victoria, think about taking the night excursion to Butchart Gardens, or you can just take a nighttime stroll on your own along the harbor and pop in to the Empress Hotel.

Just go and ejoy yourself!

Thanks jstducky your reassurance makes me feel better. I will look into the misty fjords exploration in ketchikan. We wanted to do the wilderness exploration and crab feed. Do you know anything about that. Being in the morning the crab feed didn't sound as exciting as it did before we got our itinerary. The clover pass bike ride is tempting too.

We cruised the Diamond in 04 and the Coral in 05 stopping in K both trips. K is one of the iffiest ports for excursions on this itenerary. It is also one of the more pedestrian friendly and pretty of the ports and of course the shortest shore time of any of the ports you visit.

If you want to take time to breath and save a little money, take the walking tour. Judy and I found Dolly's house on Creek Street well worth the $5.00 each to see. Where else can one find silk flowers made from condoms. The shops on Creek Street do not pay the bribes to get on P's approved shopping list but they are interesting to brouse and reasonable in pricing. Some of them have Chinese goods for sale in addition to local artists and artisans. So you could shop there and in lieu of another excursion. If you are taking pictures, Whale Park in the middle of town, small as it is will hole you for 20 minutes of flower shooting. If you want a break from ships food, good as it is, treat yourself to lunch at Annabelle's in the old hotel. The food was local, different, and wonderful.

Find any post by Judy North for the link to pictures old and new.

In Skagway, check out the Christmas Shop. We dropped about $80 last year and $140 this year on local artist's interpretation of Christmas on an Alaskan theme.

Seriously, do take time to rest.

Above all enjoy.

Just my opinion, I do not recommend the Mendenhall float trip, only a brief distant view of the glacier, rest of trip is trees and backyards. Money is far better spent elsewhere. And the Skagway horse back riding is only so so, way superior is independent with Joni's out of Carcross can drive there or go with http://www.southeasttours.com consistantly gets raves.

Archived