Private Party on Allure w drink package

Duh, to me this would have been a clear signal to head back to the VCL asap where the DP was /would be in full force.:rolleyes:

The stockholders thank you!

After the party was started, and people had already started to help themselves to the food that was set up in the private room...

After the party was started, and people had already started to help themselves to the food that was set up in the private room...

Hello, from post 1

"Each night before"

Yep, if they told me that, I would ask all to leave and go to the closest bar:D And the op says they were informed in post 1, when the venue was changed, yet they continued to use it and pay for drinks

My TA is the one who was told that there would be no refund for the reasons stated above. I dont think I can differentiate the charge on my plastic since this charge went on my Sea Pass wth everything else. Maybe I should have disputed the charge while still on the ship. At least at that point I would still have the letter telling me I had been moved and that person could not have claimed that it was I who asked to be moved

--------------------------------

Helen

Didn't your TA make the arrangements for you prior to boarding? Per your original post:

I told my TA that I did not want to buy any alcohol package because most of us would have the pre paid premium drink package and I thought I could just run a tab for anyone who did not. All was confirmed, everyone was invited.

Think she needs to help you with this one

I had a private party a couple of years back prior to the drink packages being available.

I had to inform Royal how many people and what type of package I wanted - there were several to choose from.

Prior to cruising I was told where the event would take place, what time and based on the package I choose, what the cost would be - I would think this should have been your arrangement as well.

Loves Cruising: My TA went to bat for me and she is the one who got the response that I had asked to be moved. Prior to sailing I also had the same as you: the place, time, date, numbers etc. The package was prepaid. We wer several days into this cruise (the party was to be on the last night) when I got the message of the move to Pinnacle Lounge.

Set Sail: I am not sure what you are saying. We used our cards for drinks each night prior to this event, pre dinner in the VCL, that was just the spot we happened to pick to meet up before dinner. I was not told my drink package would not be honored at my party until we got there and by the time I was told of this we were already well underway and comfortably ensconsed. It was only a 1 hour party so picking up the trays of food that I had already paid for and moving everyone to the Viking Lounge so I would not have to pay again for drinks was not gonna happen.

------------------------

Helen

:mad:Here is a situation I have not seen addressed here: I was onboard the Allure July 14-21 with 30 family members and 15 friends . We wanted to have a get together for my birthday. All the different options were looked at and ultimately I booked appetizers from 5p to 6p in the Viking Lounge with a little roped off area for us. I told my TA that I did not want to buy any alcohol package because most of us would have the pre paid premium drink package and I thought I could just run a tab for anyone who did not.

That last bit is, I think, where things all went wrong. You understood that you would be paying for booze at the party, the ship understood that you would be paying for booze at the party, the only difference was that you thought the booze package would cover about 2/3 of the guests, when in fact it did not cover private events. The only way to have had this work out how you expected was to have arranged only the food, not the booze, and left your guests to their own devices for that. In which case, they would have run next door to the VC, gotten the same drinks that they would have without the space, and the party and aftermath would have been exactly what you expected.

Important safety tip: Your booze package only covers booze you buy for yourself. Does not cover booze other people buy for you. Does not cover booze you buy for others.

"That is where we were: a shared location during normal operating hours and then they informed me inboard I had been moved.Helen

I tend to think, the wording "shared Location" is the key here and the outcome would have been the same in the VCL, as a roped off area would have been private and not shared as well.

The reason my event was scheduled in the Viking Lounge with a roped off area was so that the drink package WOULD be good. That was my understanding and no ever told me differently and in fact that is not the issue as even RCCL acknowledges that had we been/stayed in a shared location (VCL) during operating hours (5-6pm) the drink package was useable by all who had it. My expectation was that I would run a tab on my Sea Pass for those of my guests who did not have the pre paid drink package. That was the minority of persons in my group. I moved my event from the place where my guests could have used their pre paid package to a location where they could not and was not told that would happen. At the time I was informed my event was moved I was not told that would trigger this exception to the use of the drink package. I thought I was accomodating the ship. It did not occur to me that I should ask "if I agree to help you out and move my party, what is it gonna cost me?"

----------------------

Helen

Loves Cruising: My TA went to bat for me and she is the one who got the response that I had asked to be moved. Prior to sailing I also had the same as you: the place, time, date, numbers etc. The package was prepaid. We wer several days into this cruise (the party was to be on the last night) when I got the message of the move to Pinnacle Lounge.

Set Sail: I am not sure what you are saying. We used our cards for drinks each night prior to this event, pre dinner in the VCL, that was just the spot we happened to pick to meet up before dinner. I was not told my drink package would not be honored at my party until we got there and by the time I was told of this we were already well underway and comfortably ensconsed. It was only a 1 hour party so picking up the trays of food that I had already paid for and moving everyone to the Viking Lounge so I would not have to pay again for drinks was not gonna happen.

------------------------

Helen

Did your paperwork have a price per person with open bar for the number of people you were hosting.

I think Im getting confused with the drink package.

So, Im thinking you had a prepaid pkg for appys only - running a tab for the others. Hoping to use the prepaid pkg for those who had it.

Exactly how was your contract worded?

If your TA arranged for appys only, tab to be run, those who had beverage pkg could use it - I don't see how she is not supporting you and arguing the point that you DID NOT ask to be moved to a private room

I begin to think what happened is my TA worked this out with someone at corporate

who suggested that we do this in the VCL in order to be able to use the drink packages we had. But the shipboard folks did not know that this arrangement was made specifically so that we could utilize the drinks packages and intending to to do me a favor (maybe, giving benefit of the doubt) or needing the space in VCL (it was pretty empty thru out the cruise but maybe a larger party wanted it?) moved me to the somewhat nicer private room not knowing that we wanted to use our pre paid drink package.

I never saw any contract. I got cc'd the e mail confirmation sent to my TA with the date time and location and that I had ordered the particular package w upgraded hors d'ourves for x number of people. There was no mention of any bar, open or otherwise. Then when I got to the pier I was given at the reception desk an envelope with my Sea Pass that had a confirmation of the same info. Then several days into the cruise a note was put on my door that my event was moved to the Pinnacle Lounge.

For some reason instead of acknowleging this RCCL has taken the position that I asked to be moved and thus this is my dime. Why on earth would I have asked to be moved? I did not even know there was a Pinnacle Lounge when I booked this. I just wanted a little party with my family,was perfectly willing to pay for the food but did not want to pay againfor drinks that in my view werealready paid for. RCCL accomodated that by offering us a spot in the VCL and then once on board intentionally or unwittingly reneged on my deal by moving me.

Thats what happened and I feel that I have been treated poorly by the suggesiton that I am not being truthful when I said I did not ask to be moved and I did not know until I got there that our drink package was not going to honored. What am I missing? I was not looking for free booze, doesnt RCCL make a few bucks on all those premium $55 a day drink packages???? We had already paid for our drinks and then I had to pay again bec I relocated as requested.

---------------------------

Helen

Dear Ms - Im sorry for what you are going thru. Its sounding to me like your TA knew exactly what kind of party you were looking for including using your prepaid beverage package for your event and paying for those who did not by running a tab.

Your TA is taking the position that you asked to be moved therefore causing you to have to pay for all drinks including for those with the beverage package. She is taking the word of Royal Caribbean over yours.

Considering she made the arrangements, she knew what you wanted, you told her you did not ask to be moved, I still feel she should be supporting you and attempting to get you some sort of compensation.

Unfortunately at this point I don't know how they could separate those drinks that were served to those with the beverage package vs those who did not have the package and were on the "tab".

I hope it all works out for you in some way.

I never use a TA for this very reason. Had you personally been the one making arrangements, you would have been there to head off any miscommunications and you would have known exactly who to go to when any issues came up. Way too often TA's leave us holding the bag.

Also You must always try to resolve any issues you have before you leave the ship. It is way more difficult to get things done..like a credit or holding a particular person responsible, when off the ship and dealing with 3rd parties.

I agree with the other posters. I would have had folk walk outside to the VC bar and buy drinks under their package plan once I discovered RC was being hard headed about it.

I begin to think what happened is my TA worked this out with someone at corporate

who suggested that we do this in the VCL in order to be able to use the drink packages we had. But the shipboard folks did not know that this arrangement was made specifically so that we could utilize the drinks packages and intending to to do me a favor (maybe, giving benefit of the doubt) or needing the space in VCL (it was pretty empty thru out the cruise but maybe a larger party wanted it?) moved me to the somewhat nicer private room not knowing that we wanted to use our pre paid drink package.

I never saw any contract. I got cc'd the e mail confirmation sent to my TA with the date time and location and that I had ordered the particular package w upgraded hors d'ourves for x number of people. There was no mention of any bar, open or otherwise. Then when I got to the pier I was given at the reception desk an envelope with my Sea Pass that had a confirmation of the same info. Then several days into the cruise a note was put on my door that my event was moved to the Pinnacle Lounge.

For some reason instead of acknowleging this RCCL has taken the position that I asked to be moved and thus this is my dime. Why on earth would I have asked to be moved? I did not even know there was a Pinnacle Lounge when I booked this. I just wanted a little party with my family,was perfectly willing to pay for the food but did not want to pay againfor drinks that in my view werealready paid for. RCCL accomodated that by offering us a spot in the VCL and then once on board intentionally or unwittingly reneged on my deal by moving me.

Thats what happened and I feel that I have been treated poorly by the suggesiton that I am not being truthful when I said I did not ask to be moved and I did not know until I got there that our drink package was not going to honored. What am I missing? I was not looking for free booze, doesnt RCCL make a few bucks on all those premium $55 a day drink packages???? We had already paid for our drinks and then I had to pay again bec I relocated as requested.

---------------------------

Helen

Well youre not certain RC reneged on any deal because you yourself did not arrange anything with RC. Your TA did. Your TA is the one I'd be looking to as well for satisfaction.

Why did not refuse the move and tell RC rep no at the moment you learned the party had been changed and moved? You certainly realized at that point that drinks for that many people was going to cost you hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

Why did not refuse the move and tell RC rep no at the moment you learned the party had been changed and moved? You certainly realized at that point that drinks for that many people was going to cost you hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

No. If you read her posts, you will see that she did not realize at that point that the drink packages would not be honored. She realized that only after the party had started, and she was advised by the servers at the party. I don't think refusing to agree to the move, at that point, was much of an option.

(In other words, I think you misunderstood Ms Understood. :) )

No. If you read her posts, you will see that she did not realize at that point that the drink packages would not be honored. She realized that only after the party had started, and she was advised by the servers at the party. I don't think refusing to agree to the move, at that point, was much of an option.

(In other words, I think you misunderstood Ms Understood. :) )

Thank you Paul I can always count on you to correct me when I have gotten it wrong.

I still would have handled it immediately ...............stopped the bar service at least the waiters, and got it settled right there.

I would have asked my guests to purchase their drinks with their package at the VC bar. Under normal circumstances this may seem less than classy, but the guests had already expected to pay for their own drinks anyway.

The lesson learned is to handle all ship issues and problems that arise .immediately. and . while on the ship!!!!

Archived