Caribbean Hook Bracelets

Cruisin' Cool CAT

I realize they are bracelets but is there anything "special" about them

Although I'm sure there are several variations of their history, I like the below:

Hook Bracelet Story

Islanders in the Caribbean have worn the hook bracelet for centuries. It has been adopted as a symbol of unity and love for islanders living in the Caribbean. Lore has built up around its simple horseshoe design.

Some folklore states, with the open end of the hook pointed up toward your heart, your love is taken. With the open end of the hook worn down, away from your heart, your love is free or a subtle sign that you are unattached or single. Other folklore, with the hook worn up, keeps your luck with you, worn down you will bring in good luck when in need. One of the most accurate accounts of folklore that I have encountered while traveling throughout the Caribbean was when the men of a village would set out to sea. The men would leave to fish or deliver goods to other islands sometimes for weeks on end in order to make a living for their families.

Their wives would wear the hook down with the open end of the hook pointed away from their heart, down their out stretched arms sending love and faith as they waved good bye to their men embarking on a long and dangerous journey on the high seas. When the men were due to return and their ship was spotted their wives would turn the hook up toward their heart symbolizing the safe return of their men from the dangers of the Caribbean. So depending on your luck or love, you can wear the bracelet or ring either way you wish.

Although I'm sure there are several variations of their history' date=' I like the below:

Hook Bracelet Story

Islanders in the Caribbean have worn the hook bracelet for centuries. It has been adopted as a symbol of unity and love for islanders living in the Caribbean. Lore has built up around its simple horseshoe design.

Some folklore states, with the open end of the hook pointed up toward your heart, your love is taken. With the open end of the hook worn down, away from your heart, your love is free or a subtle sign that you are unattached or single. Other folklore, with the hook worn up, keeps your luck with you, worn down you will bring in good luck when in need. One of the most accurate accounts of folklore that I have encountered while traveling throughout the Caribbean was when the men of a village would set out to sea. The men would leave to fish or deliver goods to other islands sometimes for weeks on end in order to make a living for their families.

Their wives would wear the hook down with the open end of the hook pointed away from their heart, down their out stretched arms sending love and faith as they waved good bye to their men embarking on a long and dangerous journey on the high seas. When the men were due to return and their ship was spotted their wives would turn the hook up toward their heart symbolizing the safe return of their men from the dangers of the Caribbean. So depending on your luck or love, you can wear the bracelet or ring either way you wish.[/quote']

Thanks I had no idea what they were

We bought ours from Caravan Gallery online (they're on St. John's). The hook is a little different - it's a 'J' and we absolutely love them! We bought ours ahead of time cause we renewed our vows at Magen's Bay in St. Thomas in April while on a cruise. I think the legend is on the website of The Hook Company. We used the story in our vow renewal ceremony and exchanged bracelets instead of new rings. We never take them off unless we're in chlorine pools. Ocean water is fine!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived