Tipping

I'm sure this question has previously been asked and answered so please accept apologies.

If we want to give tips, ie: bar staff, waiters, cabin steward etc., do we tip in sterling or euros? Going on Celebration in September, first ever cruise.

I'm sure this question has previously been asked and answered so please accept apologies.

If we want to give tips, ie: bar staff, waiters, cabin steward etc., do we tip in sterling or euros? Going on Celebration in September, first ever cruise.

We usually tip in the currency of the area in which we are sailing working on the theory that they will be able to spend it on shore if they wish and not have to convert it. We would generally give Euros in the area Celebration is currently sailing.

But I'm sure should you wish to tip, they will be pleased to receive any currency!

Hope you enjoy your first cruise. :)

I like to also hand over a Thank You card. We spent ages trying to locate one on our first cruise. Now we take ones over with us from here.

What a lovely idea. I think we might do that for the cabin steward.

Kruzseeka, thank you. Will tip in euros.

I also take Thank You cards with me. I was told by one of the girls at reception that the crew also like coins as they use them in the vending machines in the crew bar.

What a useful idea for the loose coins you have at the end of a holiday. Taking the cards is a nice idea also I normally use an envolope but the cards are much more attractive.

I used the Turkish currency I had left as a tip for my Cabin Stewards.

I have used cards to put tips in for many years in hotels as in hotels we often did not see the room maids and at least they knew the tip was for them. It is good to put a positive comment in the card if they have done a good job as they can show it to their supervisor.

I took a photo of our cabin stewards on Majesty and when we returned a few weeks later, I had 2 photos printed and gave them to the stewards. They were delighted.

So many lovely ideas, I'm going to make a note of them. I think we will be taking a few thank you cards to give tips with. There're bound to be several staff members we will want to thank at the end of our cruise.

Archived