Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Good morning from beautiful Cheshire and North Wales. The kids requested my chicken casserole for lunch so that's nicely simmering away whilst we enjoy a glass of wine, and will be served up at 2 with whipped mash and buttered leeks.

Chill time with family....a perfect Sunday..:)

I am going to the New Forest this afternoon.i will be going near to where Jeff lives.

i am not sure if you are away this weekend Jeff but hope all is going as planned.

Dinner tonight at Chewton Glen where I will enjoy the spa this afternoon.

A perfect Sunday.

Edited by Mr Luxury

I am going to the New Forest this afternoon.i will be going near to where Jeff lives.

i am not sure if you are away this weekend Jeff but hope all is going as planned.

Dinner tonight at Chewton Glen where I will enjoy the spa this afternoon.

A perfect Sunday.

Say hello to Mark Bevan at Chewton if he's working today.....we miss him at the Chester Grosvenor...:)

grr! I've just spotted my typo, the erroneous apostrophe in "its" where I referred to the garden. I swear that the internet has made my spelling and grammar worse during the course of the last 10 years or so. The more I read bad grammar and spelling the easier it becomes for me to inherit it, for some reason. Not sure if others feel the same?

Anyway, it's ;) too late to go back and edit.

Mr L- will goose be on the menu today ?:p:D

grr! I've just spotted my typo, the erroneous apostrophe in "its" where I referred to the garden. I swear that the internet has made my spelling and grammar worse during the course of the last 10 years or so. The more I read bad grammar and spelling the easier it becomes for me to inherit it, for some reason. Not sure if others feel the same?

Depends on how much I have to drink whether old goosey rears its head.

I hate this prediction stuff both on the iPad and my cell phone....drives me nuts :eek:

I now just go with the flow....despite the grammar....and blame it on age :cool: but at times frustrating.....:)

Thanks both .....

Glad you like the plates. :)

We have a shop in the UK called Habitat which is sort of modern in it's time. When we bought this place "off plan" and it was completed we arranged with them to stay open for us one night and we furnished the whole house in one evening. Took us around three hours. Everything down to the spoons but apart from the beds .... we're very fussy about our beds ...it was great fun.

So one day an enormous lorry arrived and a Habitat team put everything in it's rightful place. An instant house! :D

To the good folks here who provided suggestions for our brief stop in England, I'm afraid to report that due to BA, we got to spend only a grand total of 1 and a half hours in England, rather than the planned for 43. We literally had just enough time to catch our connection to Athens. So saddened that we missed York and the Ceremony of the Keys for a second year in a row. Disappointed too that we missed tea in the Palm Court, as well as dinner at Dinner.

Long story short, BA offers 1 flight daily between DEN-LHR and they cancelled it Tuesday evening, as well as Wednesday evening. Thankfully, USAirways stepped in and transported us to Philadelphia where we were able to reconnect to another BA flight. Without USAirways, we would have never had made it to London in time to catch our flight to Athens, where we connected to an Aegean flight onto Santorini. Now that we have been in the islands a few days, all is good again.

Thank you all once again for your lovely suggestions. Hopefully, we'll be able to enjoy them on a future trip.

To the good folks here who provided suggestions for our brief stop in England, I'm afraid to report that due to BA, we got to spend only a grand total of 1 and a half hours in England, rather than the planned for 43. We literally had just enough time to catch our connection to Athens. So saddened that we missed York and the Ceremony of the Keys for a second year in a row. Disappointed too that we missed tea in the Palm Court, as well as dinner at Dinner.

Long story short, BA offers 1 flight daily between DEN-LHR and they cancelled it Tuesday evening, as well as Wednesday evening. Thankfully, USAirways stepped in and transported us to Philadelphia where we were able to reconnect to another BA flight. Without USAirways, we would have never had made it to London in time to catch our flight to Athens, where we connected to an Aegean flight onto Santorini. Now that we have been in the islands a few days, all is good again.

Thank you all once again for your lovely suggestions. Hopefully, we'll be able to enjoy them on a future trip.

Oh Stumblefoot, what a disappointing start to your trip. Anyway, glad it's all turned out ok for you and you arrived in Greece on schedule. I'm really looking forward to hearing about your experiences on Silver Spirit.

Jeff, food and view both looking good. I love your olive greek salad. Can't abide salad cream though, it's a bit too vinegary for my palate.

It's funny - but apart from a Waitrose own brand mayo i prefer salad cream on so many things. I had to teach an SS chef to make a salad cream for some eggy sandwiches once.

A thought re your BA card which is now under your control. If you have a particular travel for it then ensure you optimise the release of the 241 to give you close to a 2 year shot at it. So for example in my case if I wish to use it for a trip to Singapore "sometime in January" you need to plan to spend the last bit of your £10k at around the 1st of February. This is because redemption is released at around 350 days or so. This means seats for midJan being release at the beginning of February. If you miss the chance first year then you then get a second shot in the second year right up to the end of January 2nd year. Releasing it earlier means just the one optimal shot. If you wish to build up a bank of 241s then don't forget a couple can have two separate accounts if your spend is as out of control as ours. The first card can refer the second card so both get bonuses,

Stumblefoot, sad to read you lost the England shot. Hopefully next time.

Lovely pictures Jeff, perfect weather for being at the seaside. I'm not a big fan of salad cream but it can be nice for a change....l do however hate olives with a capital H....they always taste like metal to me! Can't even be doing with them in my martinis.....always have a twist:cool:

Stumblefoot....how sad you didn't make your planned trips here, hope the Greek sunshine is making up for it :)

I've been out for lunch today with an old friend to a nice Inn which is apparently haunted.....no drinkie poos as l was driving....Chinese dinner tonight....home tomorrow....

S:)

Lovely pictures Jeff, perfect weather for being at the seaside. I'm not a big fan of salad cream but it can be nice for a change....l do however hate olives with a capital H....they always taste like metal to me! Can't even be doing with them in my martinis.....always have a twist:cool:

Stumblefoot....how sad you didn't make your planned trips here, hope the Greek sunshine is making up for it :)

I've been out for lunch today with an old friend to a nice Inn which is apparently haunted.....no drinkie poos as l was driving....Chinese dinner tonight....home tomorrow....

S:)

Hi Sophia gal ... remember ... a life without eau de vie is a life without vie ... make up for it when you get home ...:D

Chicken Korma (off the bone 5p extra) with buttered pillau etc.

9B063A4F-310D-4F70-A0A3-99EC01656329_zpsdqquaiuz.jpg

775C806F-6242-4EDE-8EA4-A7B056F22FA7_zpsoatde7nf.jpg

It's funny - but apart from a Waitrose own brand mayo i prefer salad cream on so many things. I had to teach an SS chef to make a salad cream for some eggy sandwiches once.

A thought re your BA card which is now under your control. If you have a particular travel for it then ensure you optimise the release of the 241 to give you close to a 2 year shot at it. So for example in my case if I wish to use it for a trip to Singapore "sometime in January" you need to plan to spend the last bit of your £10k at around the 1st of February. This is because redemption is released at around 350 days or so. This means seats for midJan being release at the beginning of February. If you miss the chance first year then you then get a second shot in the second year right up to the end of January 2nd year. Releasing it earlier means just the one optimal shot. If you wish to build up a bank of 241s then don't forget a couple can have two separate accounts if your spend is as out of control as ours. The first card can refer the second card so both get bonuses,

I wonder if the Silversea chef still makes the salad cream now and again? He probably claims the recipe as his own speciality dressing !:D

I just can't deal with the acidity. Heinz used to make some sort of vegetable concoction in a tin, eaten cold, that was flavoured with salad cream, I remember it from childhood. My grandma would serve it on a Sunday for "tea". Being northern she served "dinner" at 12.30pm on Sundays, and then at around 5pm would provide a light meal that she called "tea". Anyway, we'd get some very thick slices of ham and this horrible vegetable thing. Actually ham was a treat, most weeks, in the summer at least, it was hard boiled eggs with gorgeous tomatoes from grandparent's greenhouse. But nothing could make me enjoy that vegetable salad stuff, and of course in those days we were expected to clear our plates. because "babies in Biafra are starving to death - eat it all!". Still fail to grasp the logic of that one...

Thanks for the info about the card, we have companion tickets that are due to expire in October so I'm looking for pretty much anything that's available. We can only take about 6 days off work so probably just as far as North America.

Edited by Ravenscroft

Good morning!

R. - I think you are talking about Heinz Vegetable Salad which is a ghastly concoction! So bad it actually features in one of Barry Humprhies famous nasty airline tricks. He would quietly empty a tin into a sick bag, and then at a point during the flight would pretend to be very loudly sick into the bag which he'd then split over .... well .... I'll leave the details!

After the salad cream lessons. I also had a very interesting discussion about cooking chips / fries witht he SS chef ...can Englishman .. and he was usng the traditinal simple double fry process which is very unhealthy. and saturates fats into the chip. I told him about a PHD thesis carried out in New Zealand which showed how you can deep fry much more healthily. He came back a few days later and said he'd further researched it and was going to introduce it. To be honest I didn't believe him becuuse they still seemed to be using frozen fries on that and subsequent cruises I took ..... :( I also introduced him to the joy of a late night bacon and chip doorstep sandwich from a cut loaf ...

This is our last final full day down here, so currently on the balcony and we make our way back late Wednesday early Thursday.

Good morning!

R. - I think you are talking about Heinz Vegetable Salad which is a ghastly concoction! So bad it actually features in one of Barry Humprhies famous nasty airline tricks. He would quietly empty a tin into a sick bag, and then at a point during the flight would pretend to be very loudly sick into the bag which he'd then split over .... well .... I'll leave the details!

After the salad cream lessons. I also had a very interesting discussion about cooking chips / fries witht he SS chef ...can Englishman .. and he was usng the traditinal simple double fry process which is very unhealthy. and saturates fats into the chip. I told him about a PHD thesis carried out in New Zealand which showed how you can deep fry much more healthily. He came back a few days later and said he'd further researched it and was going to introduce it. To be honest I didn't believe him becuuse they still seemed to be using frozen fries on that and subsequent cruises I took ..... :( I also introduced him to the joy of a late night bacon and chip doorstep sandwich from a cut loaf ...

This is our last final full day down here, so currently on the balcony and we make our way back late Wednesday early Thursday.

Yes, Heinz Vegetable Salad, that's the stuff. Perhaps I should give Salad Cream another try.

Haven't seen that Barry Humphries sketch but I miss seeing him and the awful Sir Les Patterson on tv these days. I'm going to model myself on Dame Edna for fashion and make up tips in my dotage ;)

I'm fairly certain the fries on Silversea in 2011 and 2012 were of the frozen variety. I'd love to find some decent chips onboard a cruise ship now and again. I don't eat them often, but the ones they use on Seabourn are tasty enough - I believe they're coated in parmesan. But they're not proper chips are they?

Enjoy your final day down there. The weather's changed here, it's gloomy and there's a bit of a chill on the breeze, almost like October!