Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

You all make me smile :)

specialcruisegirl and Mr L I must admit I was a bit worried about poppy seeds with a chip bitty but I think I could see how it would work with a bacon & chip butty. I will have to have a mirror on hand though.

Hmmm fish finger butty, I had forgotten about those!! Darn, I don't think I will be off the treadmill for the next five weeks before I leave.

Ravenscroft I like the breadcrumbs it seems to add an extra nutty tasting element. Or maybe that is just the butter I cook it in :).

Mr L believe me when I tell you I am messy!! Even Keith hides :D.

We just had Hungarian Goulash with steamed vegetables served with a lovely Margaret River Cabernet Sauvignon for dinner.

Julie

That toasted bread dooh dah sounds spot on. Red onion though. I make the odd croque which is lovely. Blitz up and egg with some grated Red Leicester, small dollop of Dijon and a couple of drops of Worcester and some cooked diced bacon thrown in and spoon onto toast and grill, perhaps with some thinly red onion on top . It soufles and browns lovely.

Getting quite hungry now. .....:)

Great supper ideas Jeff.....I'll try that, sounds like a take on welsh rarebit.

Another dish l like is what l call a prawn ramekin....basic cheese sauce, add cooked prawns and hard boiled chopped eggs, mix together, season and place in a ramekin.. top with grated cheese and grill until bubbling. They can be prepped in advance.

Now I'm hungry:rolleyes:

S :)

specialcruisegirl and Mr L I must admit I was a bit worried about poppy seeds with a chip bitty but I think I could see how it would work with a bacon & chip butty. I will have to have a mirror on hand though.

Hmmm fish finger butty, I had forgotten about those!! Darn, I don't think I will be off the treadmill for the next five weeks before I leave.

Ravenscroft I like the breadcrumbs it seems to add an extra nutty tasting element. Or maybe that is just the butter I cook it in :).

We just had Hungarian Goulash with steamed vegetables served with a lovely

Margaret River Cabernet Sauvignon for dinner.

Julie

I actually love poppy seed bread Julie but not for a chip butty, although l may try it out now!

I'm waiting to hear what Mr Lux puts between his bread ;)

Goulash sounds delish......

Sophia :)

Your lunch sounds good!

We arrived back at 4am this morning .....

I suggest very thin bacon because you have to chew it. Back rather than crispy streaky.

They must be whole haddock pieces in crunchy batter!

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317-10001-33348-Waitrose+6+batt+chunky+haddockfingers.html?storeId=10317

LN_065806_BP_10.jpg

Added to my weekend Ocado order :D

I'm supposed to be on a diet....:rolleyes:

Noted about the bacon.

[quote name=specialcruisegirl;43206636

One of my favourite butty's is what the crew galley chef used to produce when l was at sea. Toasted bread with bacon' date=' raw onion and cheese, not grated but placed on top in slices, then blast under the grill...no sauce!

[/quote]

That's it! My diet is ruined! That sounds absolutely delicious. I shall be trying this too.

I actually love poppy seed bread Julie but not for a chip butty, although l may try it out now!

I'm waiting to hear what Mr Lux puts between his bread ;)

Goulash sounds delish......

Sophia :)

As regards Mr L, I go by the don't ask and then no shocks rule!:eek:

By the way Mr L my new Eos drove beautiful today but it started to rain so I garaged it.......don't want my new baby to get wet!

Julie

That toasted bread dooh dah sounds spot on. Red onion though. I make the odd croque which is lovely. Blitz up and egg with some grated Red Leicester, small dollop of Dijon and a couple of drops of Worcester and some cooked diced bacon thrown in and spoon onto toast and grill, perhaps with some thinly red onion on top . It soufles and browns lovely.

Getting quite hungry now. .....:)

Shave some truffle on top and you have a winner

We just had Hungarian Goulash with steamed vegetables served with a lovely Margaret River Cabernet Sauvignon for dinner.

Julie

I think breadcrumbs have changed over recent years,now they're just bright orange horrid looking things. :mad:

Re the treadmill, yes although I feel that British culinary offerings are unfairly maligned, I can't deny that the selections are awful for one's figure!Those of you living in hotter climates have the benefit of less stodge and fat in your food.

The basic ingredients for an authentic chip butty:

1. Large cut, deep-fried, soggy chips fried in beef dripping (left to cool and very slightly congeal).

2. White sliced bread smeared with margarine (or butter in upper middle-class households - that is, those with indoor plumbing).

Place 1. above onto one half of a slice of 2. and fold the bread over and squash with palm of hand.

This next stage is optional but failure to complete will reduce credibility:

3. Reopen bread and apply tomato ketchup liberally to chips' surface (HP sauce may be substituted for, or even applied alongside, the ketchup). Fold over and compress until sauce oozes freely from the margins of the butty. Mayo has no place in a chip butty and is actually an arrestable offence in most of Northern Engand

Note: It is considered bad form to nibble at this confection; masters of the chip butty will consume in 4 or fewer bites their performance judged by the quantity of ketchup caught by the shirt front.

The approved method of cleaning the hands after eating is to vigourously rub them down the front of the trousers. Washing is considered a little pretentious.

It is rare, even in Huddersfield, for chip butties to be offered on formal occasions but their use is expected, sometimes even required, if one wishes not to offend the natives in informal settings (weddings, 100th birthday parties - that sort of thing).

Further info can be obtained from:

http://www.perfectchipbutty.co.yorkshire/preparation&eating

Edited by Tothesunset

Ravenscroft I know what you mean reading this thread while trying to diet is torture!!!

The weather is looking pretty good for early August so I plan to do lots of walking rather then catching the tube when I can. That may help keep balance the great food & wine...I hope.

Tothesunset this sounds perfect! If I can't find a good chip butty in London when I get home I will use these instructions to construct one.......even to the sauce on the shirtfront.:D

Ravenscroft I know what you mean reading this thread while trying to diet is torture!!!

The weather is looking pretty good for early August so I plan to do lots of walking rather then catching the tube when I can. That may help keep balance the great food & wine...I hope.

Tothesunset this sounds perfect! If I can't find a good chip butty in London when I get home I will use these instructions to construct one.......even to the sauce on the shirtfront.:D

Sorry to disappoint but you are unlikely to find an authentic chip butty South of Sheffield. In fact they can't even say ''butty'' which comes out more as ''battay''.

You may however find sauteed pomme de terres julienne on a bed of baked, leavened bread accompanied by a drizzle of sauce de tomate.

I think breadcrumbs have changed over recent years,now they're just bright orange horrid looking things. :mad:

Re the treadmill, yes although I feel that British culinary offerings are unfairly maligned, I can't deny that the selections are awful for one's figure!Those of you living in hotter climates have the benefit of less stodge and fat in your food.

Don't worry I make my own breadcrumbs, much nicer that way.

I have to admit for all my desire to try a chip butty in London I eat my fish grilled and with various yummy salads the majority of the time. Like England we have some wonderful seafood from our coast.......expensive but beautiful. Every so often I like to have chips and if well cooked i.e. the air fryer maybe, they are lovely and crisp and no stodge.

By the way Mr L my new Eos drove beautiful today but it started to rain so I garaged it.......don't want my new baby to get wet!

Julie

Glad you're enjoying the Eos convertible

Get your top down girl

You can enter in the wet T shirt competition.:D

Sorry to disappoint but you are unlikely to find an authentic chip butty South of Sheffield. In fact they can't even say ''butty'' which comes out more as ''battay''.

You may however find sauteed pomme de terres julienne on a bed of baked, leavened bread accompanied by a drizzle of sauce de tomate.

Now how am I going to remember that.:confused:......I will just have to stay in London this time.:o

Don't worry I make my own breadcrumbs, much nicer that way.

I have to admit for all my desire to try a chip butty in London I eat my fish grilled and with various yummy salads the majority of the time. Like England we have some wonderful seafood from our coast.......expensive but beautiful. Every so often I like to have chips and if well cooked i.e. the air fryer maybe, they are lovely and crisp and no stodge.

Fear not Julie,I will take you to a nice fish and chip establishment when you come to London.

I have telephoned LE GAVROCHE to warn them that you are a messy eater and they said there would be a charge for the extra cleaning that they will have to do.

Just call them and give them Keith's credit card details to cover everything will you:)

Julie

Julie,

All the best for you and the new baby. I do so like a gal willing to get her top off ...... :eek:

Envious ... love Farnborough. Chercher des truffes!

Bring them up .. :)

Will we get the Phantom in,how big's your estate?

Shall we use the main drive or come in through the farm entrance

Edited by Mr Luxury

The only people that say "Buttay" are from Birmingham and they don't count. Or can't count .....

Fear not Julie,I will take you to a nice fish and chip establishment when you come to London.

I have telephoned LE GAVROCHE to warn them that you are a messy eater and they said there would be a charge for the extra cleaning that they will have to do.

Just call them and give them Keith's credit card details to cover everything will you:)

Thank you :)

I will ring Le Gavroche re credit card details but lets keep it a surprise for Keith shall we.

Jeff I should bring some Margaret River truffle/truffle oil for you to try as they are now exported to France and I gather are well regarded. I could give it to to Mr L to pass on to you.