Passports on shore excursions

We will be in the Med this month and was wondering if while on shore excursions we need to take our passports with us. If so, do we need the original one, or will a copy of it be okay?

When I'm in the Caribbean or Mexico, I take a copy on shore with me, and leave the actual passport locked in the safe. I don't know if the same would apply for your cruise.

We will be in the Med this month and was wondering if while on shore excursions we need to take our passports with us. If so, do we need the original one, or will a copy of it be okay?

You'll be taking them on the ship anyway right? Onboard, your cruise director will tell you along with being printed in your Cruise Compass whether that port requires them. For Med destinations I would guess YES they will be required.

Not sure if you will need them but I would take them and keep them in a very safe place - maybe around your neck in a passport holder.

I would also try to see of there is a customs agent at the pier who will stamp your passport - a free extra souvenir of your trip. Almost every port we have been in except French ports are only too happy to accomodate.

Several years ago in Barbados we did and the following year we asked again - guy said - gee didn't you ask last year - and we said yes - guy looked in the passport and sure enough he stamped it last year - he very happily stamped it again and said thanks for visiting his country again and have a great time in port.

But what if (heaven forbid) you miss the ship?! A copy of a passport is not going to get you to the next port in a foreign country.

I guess a copy would expedite the bureaucracy of getting a new passport issued but I would imagine that it would still take several days at best.

We keep colored copies with us on shore, and our originals in the safe in our cabin. The copy is not intended to substitute for the real one, but to show to the American Embassy so they can quickly replace it if you should lose it or miss the ship.

I just returned from a Med vacation on June 11 (Splendour of the Seas) with my four kids - I made color copies of all five Passports and kept them in my small camera bag (only carry on I took for offshore excursions). Keep the original passports in the safe provided in your stateroom. If you were to lose the passports, you'd have to contact a US embassy somewhere along your itinerary and it would be a hassle to get new ones (which you will need to get into the US). Have fun!

But what if (heaven forbid) you miss the ship?! A copy of a passport is not going to get you to the next port in a foreign country.

I guess a copy would expedite the bureaucracy of getting a new passport issued but I would imagine that it would still take several days at best.

Finally the voice of reason. Take the original and leave the copy. As an adult I'm amazed at how many people are afraid they’ll lose them.

On a side note, when you're home do you take a copy of your drivers license with you or the original?

Cindi: I just got back from Italy, and there were any number of times when a passport was required. (changing money, ID for admission to some secure places). You should be wearing a money belt or neck pouch anyway, for your money and valuables. Just put the passport in there.

Carol

Archived