Are there advantages or disadvantages to putting off final payment?

ahoymatey3

Are there advantages or disadvantages to putting off final payment? Final payment for my transatlantic on the Millennium (Nov. 18) isn’t due until September 5th. I have the cash, so why wait?

The price has steadily increased more than $800.00 since the time of my booking. Its not likely there would be a decrease, in my mind. The 2B I’ve booking is now showing only ‘guaranteed’ available which tells me the ship is filling.

I’ve never booked this far in advance, so what do you savvy cruisers do in this circumstance?

Thanks!

As long as you've made your down payment and have a reserved booking, your price is set, regardless of what's happening to the new booking prices. So why give them your money early, when it can be sitting in your bank account gathering a little extra interest?

My understanding is that if you or your Travel Agent find a lower price for your selection before final payment, most agencies will adjust your cost. If you pay beforehand then it's not going to be high on the agency's incentive list to give you a refund. Just a thought.

My understanding is that if you or your Travel Agent find a lower price for your selection before final payment, most agencies will adjust your cost. If you pay beforehand then it's not going to be high on the agency's incentive list to give you a refund. Just a thought.
this is partly true, but a good TA will still try and get you the adjustment. Infact this just happened to me, remember I am the agent, but did not see the lower rate on our cruise from Rome in Oct. My boss was looking for something for a client and spotted the discount: I had already paid in full, but was able to get the lower price and a refund on my CC. Except for the interest you will get there really is no benefit in waiting. For me, with the interest rates still being so low I don't want to wait: I just pay as soon as I think about it. Our Oct cruise was paid last month. I feel good knowing it is paid for and out of the way. Our Dec cruise isn't paid for yet, mainly cause it's our granddaugthers wedding cruise so we are paying for her cabin as well as ours: my cc and check book seems to say, wait a few more months. LOL

nmnita

Hmmm, I just got a great idea for a new service business! For all you cruisers who just want to get your cruise fees "paid for and out of the way", send your money to me now, and I'll take care of making that pesky final payment for you! ;)

Archived