Shopping for Silver Jewelry Western Itinerary

When you first get off of the ship in Cozumel and before entering the covered area with the shops, there are some to the right hand side. I saw a really great pair of "sterling" silver hoop earrings and was quoted $75.00. They were feather weight. I politely declined. I found a store toward the middle of the shops at the pier and bought 7 pair that were similar for $100.00. Cash talks! I wanted gifts for my friends. I've also bought fabulous cuff bracelets in the $90 price range that are truly silver. However, in May I couldn't find even one that was heavy and impressive. The taxi's default drop off in Cozumel is at the Diamond's International complex. If you walk back toward the pier, go 2 or 3 blocks asking for Sergio Bustamante handbags. http://www.sergiobustamante.com.mx/en/index.php They have charms as embellishments and run about $1000 up in the US. My step-daughter who modeled for many years for Wilhelmina bought a small silver bag for $200 as she had cash. I was drooling but there was only one. If you look at his website, you might find the retailer in Cozumel. I wish I had gotten a card from the store. From the outside, you'd never guess you'd find high end jewelry, bags, etc. Shop hard and have a fabulous time! We don't shop Jamaica or Grand Cayman.

The last time I was in Cozumel was in the mid 1980's on a trip to Club Med. I recall visiting a market and going to a store with silver jewelry hanging all throughout... On the walls etc. we bought many small pieces, such as chains, bracelets and earrings. I was able to negotiate down to $8 a piece! I know this was many years ago, but I would love to find this place again! All the silver was legit. I still wear some of it today! Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Everytime I go to Cozumel I go to the same shop at the pier (RCCL). It is the one that is straight ahead inside the building as you exit the taxis. They are very reputable and I have always gotten good pricing and the quality is good.
I think this store is probably Los Cinco Soles.

There is a larger one in the Diamonds International complex. http://www.loscincosoles.com Pancho's Backyard is the restaurant to the rear. This is an old, restored mansion ... fun to read the history. Here's the link to Pancho's ... you can print a coupon for a free margarita when ordering a meal. (The "special" isn't on the menu ... it's an assortment & delicious!)

U.S. Dollars are widely accepted in Cozumel. If you pay by cc, you will possibly incur a % transaction fee. Cash does talk as it costs the merchant to run that cc.

There is NO shortage of silver shops in Cozumel. As others here have said, make sure that the item is stamped .925 or .950 which is ultrafine silver. Of course that can be counterfeited, but if it's too good to be true, it is not. If it is not stamped, it definitely is not. Also, all of the stones are not always the real thing. So, be careful. I've bought boocoodles of the stuff there and have been really happy with all of it. I've never thought about having a magnet, but that's a great idea.

As for Grand Cayman, the only thing we purchase there are rum cakes. Tortola rum cakes are yummy and can be sampled in most shops. An easy snorkel there is Eden Rock right off the cruise tender dock to the right about a block. Free and easy. They do have rentable lockers, food and snorkel equipment for rent.

I've shopped in Jamaica, but probably would not again. It's the best place to tube the White River, climb Dunn's Falls and just chill.

Enjoy your trip.

Macy

What is your opinion? I know that Royal C. will recommend certain stores to buy jewelry at....but I prefer to buy from locals for two reasons, I love their prices and I want them to succeed. It is difficult to want to give, and receive quality sometimes. For the most part, what has your experience been buying jewelry in Cozumel?

What is your opinion? I know that Royal C. will recommend certain stores to buy jewelry at....but I prefer to buy from locals for two reasons, I love their prices and I want them to succeed. It is difficult to want to give, and receive quality sometimes. For the most part, what has your experience been buying jewelry in Cozumel?
I'd skip the shopping seminar if I were you. I've always been extremely pleased with the silver jewelry I've bought in Mexico. Avoid jewelry with stones as there is no telling what you're buying.

Archived