Been to any good bead shops in Venice recently?

Critic276

We are sailing on the Serenade October 22nd -November 3rd and will be in Venice overnight on the 29th. I make jewelry with beads and would love to pick up from Venician glass beads for my stash. Online its been difficult to find addresses and names of shops let alone directions to walk to them. So I'd love to hear from a fellow traveler and or beadweaver anything about their bead experience. Thank you in advance for your help.

I visited Venice recently but was not in the market for beads...but I can tell you that if they are inexpensive, then they were probably made in China or elsewhere, not in Venice. There are some cheap stores popping up there too, like our Dollar Stores, with cheap imports. You may want to take a side trip to Murano...lovely!

We are sailing on the Serenade October 22nd -November 3rd and will be in Venice overnight on the 29th. I make jewelry with beads and would love to pick up from Venician glass beads for my stash. Online its been difficult to find addresses and names of shops let alone directions to walk to them. So I'd love to hear from a fellow traveler and or beadweaver anything about their bead experience. Thank you in advance for your help.

We found good prices for beads in some small shops along Rio di Spagna, close to S. Lucia train station. Prices for the same items were much higher in shops close to Rialto or S. Marco

I was not looking for bead-making beads on my recent trip to Venice and Murano. However, the only beads I recall seeing are "Pandora" style beads made with Murano glass and sterling silver. They were sold everywhere and ranged from 7€ to 15€ for the exact same product.

We found good prices for beads in some small shops along Rio di Spagna, close to S. Lucia train station. Prices for the same items were much higher in shops close to Rialto or S. Marco

Thank you. I appreciate the street names as well as the comparison. Denise

I was not looking for bead-making beads on my recent trip to Venice and Murano. However, the only beads I recall seeing are "Pandora" style beads made with Murano glass and sterling silver. They were sold everywhere and ranged from 7€ to 15€ for the exact same product.

Interesting. I think they are famous for beads with foil inside them not Pandora type but maybe both. Thank you for your help, Denise

Denise,

I will be in Venice on Sept 13-16 and hoping to do exactly what you are. DK Eyewitness Travel Italy book says at Antichita Claudia Zaggia you can sort through a range of antique beads. Also mentions Marina e Susanna Sent's and the art of beadmaking. I won't be back in the U.S. until Oct 4 but if I find anything when I'm there I will try to come back here and post.

Laurie

I bought some glass beads on the island of murano, at one of the glass factories. Pretty pricey but I strung them with gem stones & the neclaces came out beautiful. I found some glass beads in a little shop on the island of Burano also. They were much more reasonable. The lady who owned the shop told us her husband was a glass blower on murano. I also bought a glass angel. She had some lovely neclaces as well that were different sized beads between silver. They were already strung. Her prices were the best. Burano has scarves with lace on them as well. They made good souvenirs for friends. Again very reasonable. I also got my son some Absenith liquor (spelling?) On the island of Burano. Burano is a very pretty place. Great for picture taking. Really tranquil.

Enjoy your cruise. Let us know what you find.

Michelle

Archived