Venice Hotels

levi2

Anyone know Hotels in Venice which would be reasonable. We will be there one night on May 15, 2014, before our Celebrity Cruise?

Look at tripadvisor.com for the best deals, location, etc. I would try to stay more than one night. Venice is one of those places that you might want to visit more than once in your lifetime.

We've been there twice for cruises and each time booked at Antiche Figure. Rates are fairly reasonable and they include breakfast. The staff are super. It's on the Grand Canal close to where the bus terminal coming in from the airport goes to, close to the port for the ship and right across the canal from the train station. Easily walked over two small bridges.

http://www.hotelantichefigure.it/en

You will want to check out the Italy board (under ports of call). But we stayed at the Hotel Arlecchino. It is one small bridge from the P. Roma which is the last place for cars/buses to go in Venice. We took the bus from the airport and walked to the hotel. I think we paid about 115 euros per night (that was Nov 2012).

Small hotel with breakfast and wifi are included.

Anyone know Hotels in Venice which would be reasonable. We will be there one night on May 15, 2014, before our Celebrity Cruise?

It really depends where you would like to stay in Venice and what you would like to do. The closer that one stays to San Marco square the more expensive the hotel will be. However, if you stay away from "Venice", e.g. Mestre, your rates will be cheaper.

We have been to Venice a few times and found a reasonable (?) compromise. We always stay at Locanda Orseolo, a boutique hotel located 3 minutes from San Marco square. It is a wonderful facility on the canal that provides exemplary service, an excellent made to order breakfast and very comfortable lodging. At E270 per night, I would not call it cheap, but it is actually reasonable for the location. TripAdvisor lists it as the number 1 hotel in Venice - for good reason. We'll be back prior to our September cruise!!

On the other hand if location is not important, then much less expensive hotels can be found.

We have a few thoughts having stayed in Venice (many times) when on cruises and also our own driving trips in Italy. It is true that Mestre has the lower cost (budget) hotels and is very popular with the cheaper land tours. It is also true that Mestre is not Venice! Staying in Venice is similar to visiting New York City but staying over in New Jersey to save some hotel money. Although its relatively easy to get between Venice and Mestre....it is not nearly as easy (or romantic) as walking outside your hotel and seeing Venice!

So we normally recommend looking for a reasonably priced small hotel in Venice (our own choice is often Ca Doge). A good place to look for hotels is Venere.com which is a major European booking agency (kind of like Orbitz or Expedia) and gives you options where you can see the locations of all the hotels. The most convenient location for cruise ship passengers is to be in (or very close) the Pizale Roma (Ca Doge, Olimpia, etc). For some reason many folks want to be close to St Marks Square (a place we love to avoid) which would be akin to staying in Times Square in NYC. There are many other parts of Venice that are quite charming (some of the streets in the Rialto area come to mind) but one should consider that once you stray from the Pizzale Roma area you are going to need some form of extra transportation to get too your hotel...and you might have to handle your own luggage (including getting the stuff over some bridges). Just fruit for thought.

Hank

I agree with Hank in one respect. Ca' Doge right in Piazzale Roma was our choice also. So convenient for the bus to the airport, taxi queue, vaporetto stop, co-op shopping stores, visitor kiosk right outside the door, AND NOT ONE BRIDGE TO HAVE TO CROSS. Level parking lot to cross.

There is also another hotel on the other side of the Piazzalec alled Santa Chiara. It sits right on the Grand Canal, so if that is important to you, it might be the one to look at.

Now Hank, it's funny you used staying in Times Square in New York City to staying in San Marco area. That is EXACTLY what I did when I went to New York City. I was at the Edison which is only about 2 blocks from Times Square. And I would love to stay at the Bauer or Danieli Hotels right close to San Marco, alas I am not independently wealthy and these hotels were FAR BEYOND my means.

I actually had reservations at the Tritone Hotel in Mestre but once we saw Ca'Doge, decided it was worth the splurge to be where the action is.

I second the recommendation to check out Venere dot com or

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

You will want to check out the Italy board (under ports of call). But we stayed at the Hotel Arlecchino. It is one small bridge from the P. Roma which is the last place for cars/buses to go in Venice. We took the bus from the airport and walked to the hotel. I think we paid about 115 euros per night (that was Nov 2012).

Small hotel with breakfast and wifi are included.

+1 on Arlecchino

Quick walk to Piazzale Roma (down one set of stairs, not even a full bridge), excellent front desk, comfortable room and free wi-fi.

What you consider reasonable ? Check out this link for info on hotels ... the map will be very helpful.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

Staying in the Piazzale Roma area is very convenient... easy access to/from the airport, and to the People Mover to the pier. It's the last point for land travel in Venice so it's where taxis, cars, buses drop off passengers. CaDoge and Santa Chiara don't require any bridge crossings. There are a few other hotels that only require 1 bridge crossing ... Best Western Olimpia, Papadopoli, Arlecchino.

Mestre which is just across the bridge from Venice tends to be less expensive. It's only a 10 minute train or bus ride away. And you can catch a taxi directly to the pier from Mestre for about 25E if you don't want to deal with the People Mover and walking. There's info on Mestre hotels and transportation in the same link.

Archived