When did main dining room servers start taking care of 4/5 tables?

cantwait2cruise

OP here--just wanted to add a few points points.

Our table was the furthest one of our serving team's group (sort of in a corner)--perhaps this was disadvantageous to us b/c they had to walk out of their way over to us (they weren't constantly walking past us). Maybe we were "out of sight, out of mind."

We were not making any out of ordinary requests or being peculiar about anything. They were just very slow period about filling up our glasses with water and ice tea both at the beginning of the meal and refills. We had to ask for bread several times too. Overall, I felt like every single night we had to ask for the basics. We did have small children (5 and 3 year olds) with us and they did try to make some accommodations for them and we did appreciate that.

I also understand that it does typically take almost 2 hours to eat, but if the service is good, the time passes and it's pleasant. It's not pleasant when you are getting crappy service and feel a mixture of it being hopeless that the servers just simply couldn't keep up with all the tables and/or a possible not really giving a crap sort of attitude. The first few nights, I really felt like they were overwhelmed and simply couldn't keep up but by the end, I wasn't so sure that they didn't just say oh well, we've already blew it with these people so let's quit trying. We kept saying we were going to speak to the maitre D, but we just never did.

I know that everyone has had different experiences, but overall plain and simple for us, since our cruise 2009, the service has progressively gotten worse the last three cruises we have been on. We autotip on the sail and sign card and have normally left an additional cash tip to our servers, but we haven't at least the last 2 cruises and possibly the last 3 (can't remember) because the service was mediocre at best.

Now on the plus side, our last 2 cabin stewards were awesome--knew us by name and did a wonderful job and we really enjoyed interacting the them and tipped both of them extra for a job well done.

I made the statement to my husband that I still felt like there was a lot of value to what we paid for the cruise, but he said he wasn't so sure. He hasn't actually been on any other line besides his 6 Carnival cruises. He is ready to pay more and try another line. I'm more of a Carnival cheerleader but this last MDR experience has me scratching my head some. At least I got warm chocolate melting cake 5 nights in a row. :D

Yeah, our CCL Dream servers did not give us their real names, some of them were plain rude (or perhaps frazzled as mentioned and coming across as rude), they could not communicate with us, got the orders wrong, the service was awful, we had to ask for waters to be filled even once, and the lights were flicking on and off before we got to finish our dessert. Sometimes we had to take the dessert to go to make it to the comedy show.

I felt like such an inconvenience on this trip, for the majority of the CMs (entertainment staff somewhat an exception.) The breakfast in the MDR was just as bad. With no one around, I poured my own coffee.

We had slow not perfect but pleasant MDR service on the Conquest last year. This year's Dream was bad enough that I don't care if I ever cruise CCL again. I am so over the brand that I probably wouldn't take a free one. (With the add ons, tips and tours, it would cost too much.)

I noticed a PP mentioned Princess. Princess is part of Carnival corporation right?

This year, I 'jumped ship' to DCL. We had the standard 2 waiters for our tables. We got the crumbs swept off the table before dinner (remember those days?) We got plenty of service. In fact, we got to chat with all of them A LOT (we like to do that, but we also don't expect it either. the CCL problems are just overwhelming and impossible.) and our waiter even gave us SEVERAL different puzzles each night to figure out and showed us the solution if we didn't get it. We had impeccable service, and we paid more for the cruise, and it suited me just fine. MDRs are one of the things are family really really looks forward too, and on DCL, you don't have to stop the service for ghetto dances either since their show consists of interactive animated technology having a chat with you. Pretty cool! While we were delighted, our servers buzzed around and kept the service going. I know not everyone has our experience, but if CCL hadn't cut back the dining to rude untrained overwhelmed service, I would be willing to try them again. I think it's going to take them years to figure out that you can't cut back service on a cruise. I don't expect the moon and the stars either, and I'm not high maintenance. I just would like some coffee or tea and some food and dessert.

I hope CCL goes back to 2 servers. Let me know if they do. Until then, I'm counting down the days to my next DCL... literally!

I totally agree, I feel so sorry for them. People will keep saying how much cheaper cruises are now than they used to be but at some point they need to stop and see how the cutbacks affect the product. Maybe not everybody, but some would pay a bit more for better service.

This is just another example of the decline of Carnival. To describe Carnival as the Wal-Mart of cruising would be to insult Wal-Mart.

Carnival should fire their CEO and get back to what they had been in the past, a good value for the money.

We didn't have any issues on the Facination 2 years ago. But last year on Miracle we had the same experience with our waiter being way over worked. We rarely saw the assistant waiters and went without refills on drinks most nights.

I would estimate that the team of three servers for my table on the Carnival Pride three weeks ago served a total of ten tables including two tables of ten. They had to move really fast, which they did, and service really suffered. When our main server spoke to us, he spoke really fast because I'm guessing he didn't have time to speak to us in a normal manner.

Same thing here.

Wondering what the complainers find to complain about

We've done ten cruises now... and no probs yet

What is wrong with us??

Maybe realistic expectations. Maybe you have gone to a land restaurant that did not accept coupon and realize, the deal in the MDR is pretty good. I have had fantastic meals and others so-so. Since I had the option of choosing something else, I smiled or went to the buffet. A few say they are willing to pay more but the reality they are not. One can always find what they seek, if they are truly willing to PAY. They could use the little bit more they are willing to pay and go to one of the restaurants with the better cut of beef and faster service. Right now I am saving my money for a cruise on one of the fancier lines. What we seek is out there, but it cost more.

Maybe realistic expectations. Maybe you have gone to a land restaurant that did not accept coupon and realize, the deal in the MDR is pretty good. I have had fantastic meals and others so-so. Since I had the option of choosing something else, I smiled or go to the buffet. A few say they are willing to pay more but the reality they are not. One can always find what they seek, if they are truly willing to PAY. They could use the little bit more they are willing to pay and go to one of the restaurants with the better cut of beef and faster service. Right now I am saving up my money for a cruise on one of the fancier lines. What we seek is out there but it cost more.

Just comparing to the levels of service throughout 40 years of cruising. It has gone down as the servers are always given more and more tables all the time. It is not out of bounds now not to have iced tea refills or is so you wait for most of your meal. We are just comparong levels of service now to levels of a few years ago.

Just comparing to the levels of service throughout 40 years of cruising. It has gone down as the servers are always given more and more tables all the time. It is not out of bounds now not to have iced tea refills or is so you wait for most of your meal. We are just comparong levels of service now to levels of a few years ago.

The cost has also gone down significantly from my 18 years of cruising. If I am paying $79-$100 per person per night, I will willing to send my kids in the kitchen to help and get the water. My first cruise was almost $1K per person for 4 nights. Right now I am looking at that price range again but not on Carnival. Heck, I can't recall a kid being on my first cruise, hmmm liking that idea:D

Everyone makes note of what has been lost since the good ole days of cruising when most waited a life time for the first one. Few realize the gain in ship and amenities and affordability. I loved cruising them for what it was and appreciate it now for what it is.

I totally agree, I feel so sorry for them. People will keep saying how much cheaper cruises are now than they used to be but at some point they need to stop and see how the cutbacks affect the product. Maybe not everybody, but some would pay a bit more for better service.

If someone wants to pay a bit more for better service, those thinking that what they get is not good enough, then go cruise on NCL, Royal Carb., Disney, Princess or some of the other more expensive cruise lines and leave Carnival alone.

The complaint I always hear is they are not as personable. No I'm sure they don't want to tell you their life story get over it. They are here to serve a meal. That's what you pay them for so save your questions for your guest.

I swear if I hear one more person ask where you are from....it's on their name tag. Do you ask that of everyone that doesn't look American? Some folks do it make want to smack them.

Like any business, I think it all depends on management. I've been on ships where you could tell the crew was unhappy, then a few months later a different ship with and it was completely different. I've even noticed it on the same ship a year apart- but a different hotel director. Sometimes management attitude makes all the difference.

I must agree with this. The hotel director has a LOT to do with how the crew feel about their jobs and a happy crew does make the cruise SO much better.

Exactly.

I am a server. If I was on a team of three and had 4/5 tables to take care of, even if 2 were 8's and one was a 7, I wouldn't know what to do with all the extra time I had on my hands.

Dance for the people in the dining room maybe???

CCL waiters must do that.

Not always about cutbacks. People could stop being so greedy and order less. Some go with the buffet mentality, give me everything that there is. Cruising has become a cheaper vacation and the MDR a lesser experience. Maybe it should go back to what it used to be. You wait until you were old, retired, cost a fortune, then you can recall every moment of the dining experience with fondness. Maybe not, I can stick a cracker in my bussom and snack until the meal comes. I don't pay the big, mega, bank breaking bucks for my cruise, so not expecting top notch anything but I have had wonderful experiences.

I'm not speaking solely of cuts in the dining room. My biggest issue with CCL is entertainment/music and overall quality. It became MORE obvious when I tried other lines and saw a difference. Dining room issues are a small part of it. Certain things are important to people. For me, the food and service has always been fine on Carnival (even though those cutbacks are obvious, I still wasn't too bothered by them). For others, the cuts they see in the dining room, matter.

If someone wants to pay a bit more for better service, those thinking that what they get is not good enough, then go cruise on NCL, Royal Carb., Disney, Princess or some of the other more expensive cruise lines and leave Carnival alone.

I agree.

But we can still discuss it.

I've only had problems once, on Liberty. I think a part of problems some people encounter is the type of people the waiter is catering to. We had a table very nearby that was clearly monopolizing the waiter, thus leaving us to do the waiting. I couldn't help but wonder if there had been some tipping going on, the waiter was way too cheerful to meet their needs while we sat there.

Tipping and maybe some respect makes people smile and cheerful

:)

The complaint I always hear is they are not as personable. No I'm sure they don't want to tell you their life story get over it. They are here to serve a meal. That's what you pay them for so save your questions for your guest.

I swear if I hear one more person ask where you are from....it's on their name tag. Do you ask that of everyone that doesn't look American? Some folks do it make want to smack them.

Some people just want to thank them and palm that phone card and wink at em or bring baseball caps or candy as a reward :)

Not being personable is ok ,as long as my food and service is good.We don't need to know where they live just like I don't ask the waiter here at home

Maybe the service was slow because people have become such pitas. People ordering multiple entrees, desserts appetizers and then want to change ingredients, etc.

Ding Ding Ding!!!! We have a winner :D

When they're not demanding, they're complaining. :rolleyes:

I would say that anyone who ate in a land based restaurant, much less in the MDR on any cruise, and got service like we did on the Carnival Pride would be a little unhappy. The servers were pleasant and worked very hard but they were just running the whole time trying to service too many people.

BTW, people have always ordered multiple entrees, desserts, etc...

I would say that anyone who ate in a land based restaurant, much less in the MDR on any cruise, and got service like we did on the Carnival Pride would be a little unhappy. The servers were pleasant and worked very hard but they were just running the whole time trying to service too many people.

Ok as long as you don't. Mind being called a fat pig in 4 languages in the kitchen :)

The MDR on these mainstream cruise line is MUCH LESS than those of a decent land base restaurant. The only thing over the top I expect from the MDR is set-up. I figured what I paid, not top dollar, and what I received, was more than I could prepare it for, or get at a land based restaurant, even with a coupon. It might me 3 years of not cruising to get the one cruise that provide the serve many expect. Most people don't order multiple entrees in decent restaurant (resorts) because one meal could be more expensive than the entire cruise. Did I really need three melting chocolate cake:D

Save the money from the price drop to eat at a decent land based restaurant or pass on the next 3 cruises and find one that has service from the good old days.

Not being personable is ok ,as long as my food and service is good.We don't need to know where they live just like I don't ask the waiter here at home

Well then would you be happy with neither? (No personality and no good service.)

Its a lousy situation for the servers, that is for sure. (Why is it CCL always makes me feel guilty for going on a vacation??) But its not something we asked for either! We didn't try to chit chat with them and we weren't high maintenance either. Even if it wasn't what we asked for, some times we ate it anyway to keep things rolling. I skipped ordering gf and dealt with it so we could get our 12 top served. We have enjoyed MDRs for yrs as a group, same size group too.

Its amazing to me how if we get bad service, by many of these posts, we are just high maintenance, Ill mannered, rude complainers. It must be our fault somehow.

We should just accept the new system and be grateful the cost has declined for a decade or two from its hey day. And only suckers pay more for a vacation they could take cheaper with CCL right? I wonder why DCL, X, Princess and RCI are even in business... Must be those hoity toity rich people right? Well we certainly aren't rich. In fact, we cruise less days on DCL but its the same price as 7 on CCL and a much better value believe it or not. When we set foot on a vacation like that, we are treated to feeling like VIP guests, not made to feel like we are an inconvenience, get fed and get out... It used to be that way with CCL too. We had the loveliest server on the Triumph in 2011! And i know there are still good ones out there. But as a trend, even CCL is letting themselves down from their standard this yr and its a short cut and bad business model. That's why others like me have gone to cruise lines who make our vacations enjoyable instead of "anything is better than home." Which is not true for me!

So anyway yeah its not our fault and its not even really the server's fault, they are just human. I wonder whose fault it is... Could it be corporate....? (Dana carvey voice....)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

I don't agree with that. It was always MUCH MORE.

It WAS but things have changed, yet so many cruise with their eyes in the rear view mirror. There WAS a time the MDR was about formality, beauty, and elegance every night (oh I miss those) but NOW it's become a casual, fast food, buffet, get everything there is, establishment. I realize cruising as WAS is still out there, but also at a rate as was. I am planning to enjoy that too but NOT on Carnival.

If it no longer works as a cruise line or a type of vacation why do many stick around like a bad case of herps, well I am sure there is no good case:eek:.

My wife commented during out cruise that if she saw our main waiter away from the MDR that she wouldn't recognize him because he moved so fast she didn't know what he looked like. He did stop at our table one night on about the fifth night and we had a one minute conversation with him and then he took off again like the Road Runner. :eek:

Archived