Information on VSOE

susan1234

I tried a search and couldn't find any info (after the cruise) from Southhampton to London: where to book, fares, routes, date and time.

Thanks for pointing me the right way.

Telephone Cunard in California....they are the only ones who know...

Peter

Look at this posting (not obviously a VSOE response I admit) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=198169&highlight=VSOE where I mentioned the details that I know about for the Southampton to London VSOE transfer. Look at Post #8.

Yes, call Cunard, but it is a limited size and I understood sells out fast.

If you need more details, e-mail me JGR01@hotmail.com and next week I will send you the 'material' that Cunard sent me about the transfer.

Last year my partner and I used the VSOE from Southampton to Victoria Station in London after the Tandem Crossing on the QUEEN MARY 2 . The price booked through Cunard was nearly $300.00 per person for the bus tour to the New Forrest, Salisbury, Beaulieu Estate, and a drive by of Stonehenge. The train brings arriving passengers from London during the early afternoon, and the bus tour keeps those going to London busy till the train leaves from the pier around 5:30 pm to return to London.

The rolling stock was beautiful along with the interior appointments of the cars. Unfortunately the tour that we were on the locomotive power was diesel electric and not steam. As the train was not a regular scheduled train, the VSOE was forced to stop numerous times to wait for the routine passenger and freight traffic to pass. Quite a bit of time was spent that way during the three hour rail trip.

The food was not what I expected during a $300.00 rail excursion. The lamb was over cooked and tough. (The eccentric lady and her daughter from Texas across the aisle from us asked the waiter to cut it for her which he did!) It seemed to me as if it was prepared elsewere and catered to the train. The service was very mechanical. With the waiters starting at one end of the car and one waiter serving everyone's soup, later on another one serving the lamb, and then dessert, it was quite literally assembly line dining service.

I would not ride this train again, as I thought the price was certainly less than a bargain. Am I glad that I did it once...probably. As I said earlier the rolling stock was beautiful. The accommodations were truly luxurious, and gave a taste of life during the late Edwardian period. I also thought that arriving in New York by Amtrak and then in London by VSOE was a charming way to begin and end a trans-Atlantic liner crossing.

Susan, try a search for previous postings about the VSOE on Cruise Critics. I remember posting a similiar query regarding the train, and having others answer before I booked. I think it would be worth your time and money.

I tried a search and couldn't find any info (after the cruise) from Southhampton to London: where to book, fares, routes, date and time.

Thanks for pointing me the right way.

You could try their website:

VSOE

Archived