Upgrade cost and worthless future cruise certificates

This is not a complaint, just an observation and a disappointment. Today I tried to pay for an upgrade on a balcony cabin to a JS on an upcoming cruise. Part of this particular cruise was paid for using future cruise certificates I had received following a few days ill with Norovirus on our last cruise.

Royal Caribbean claim that if we pay for an upgrade the value of the certificates become void and we have to pay the full difference between current cabin rates and the actual cash value of the original booking. In our case this means we lose around £750.

Needless to say that I have decided not to upgrade - we will still enjoy the cruise in the balcony cabin we originally booked and save the money for another cruise in 2014.

I saw someone else mention this in another thread, and I've seen how this works on our own Guest Invoice from RCI.

If I were to guess the problem, it's that they apply the FCC by reducing the price you pay for your cruise fare. Thus, when you go to upgrade, the price you paid is markedly less than what it originally was due to the FCC.

It'd be better if the FCC were applied as a line item discount like they do for savings certificates and balcony discounts and then they wouldn't have this issue.

It's probably due to accounting reasons, though, that they do it this way.

I'm glad you'll still enjoy your cruise and have a positive attitude about it!

This is not a complaint, just an observation and a disappointment. Today I tried to pay for an upgrade on a balcony cabin to a JS on an upcoming cruise. Part of this particular cruise was paid for using future cruise certificates I had received following a few days ill with Norovirus on our last cruise.

Royal Caribbean claim that if we pay for an upgrade the value of the certificates become void and we have to pay the full difference between current cabin rates and the actual cash value of the original booking. In our case this means we lose around £750.

Needless to say that I have decided not to upgrade - we will still enjoy the cruise in the balcony cabin we originally booked and save the money for another cruise in 2014.

The rules are always in the companies favor, never in the passengers. It's the way it is. Did you ever read the contract you sign, you practically give up your life, well at least any rights that you thought you had.

Archived