First time Disney cruiser with questions

jeanie1724

Hi everyone - I'm new to CruiseCritic and this is my first post :). We are cruising on the Disney Wonder this October out of Galveston. I'll be with my husband, 3-year and 8-month old daughters, and my parents. I have some questions that I was wondering if anyone can help with:

1) My 8-month-old does not have a passport. It's ok to just bring her birth certificate, correct? (We are US citizens) That's what Disney's and the State Department's websites say but I want to see if anyone has personal experience.

2) If we reserve time at Flounder's Nursery and Palo, but end up not using it, do we still get charged?

3) Are there afternoon matinees of the evening shows? What time are the matinees?

4) We currently have late seating for dinner. I called a couple of weeks ago to ask to be changed to early seating. How likely is it that we'll get early seating?

5) Any tips for shore excursions/beaches good for our kids' ages at Key West, Nassau, or Castaway Cay?

6) Can I book transfers through Disney from/to Bush Intercontinental airport even if I didn't book air travel or hotel through Disney? How much do the transfers cost? If not through Disney, any recommendations for an economical way to get our group to Galveston?

7) How easy is it to get strollers/bottle sterilizer/pack&play from the ship? Any advice for traveling with a baby would be greatly appreciated! (A bit nervous about that...:)

Thank in advance for any help/advice you can give us!

Welcome - so glad you found Cruise Critic....such a wealth of information and friendly, helpful people.

I won't be much help, since our 3 Disney cruises have been without kids.

I can tell you The Wonder is a beautiful ship, easy to navigate, nice cabins and most have two bathroom areas. Sink and toilet in one and Sink and bathtub/shower in another.

I've never seen them do matinees of the shows.

They do have a wonderful Movie theatre and they show films in the afternoon. You can even see the ones that are playing on land in the theatres.

Early seating will be hard to get, since it's getting close. That time fills up fast. But keep your fingers crossed.

The dining rooms are an adventure in themselves. If you can....don't skip out on one. You will have a rotational dining, visiting each one. Your servers travel with you, so they will know you and your likes and dislikes.

Castaway Cay is the best private island, in my opinion :D

Of course David Copperfields is probably the best, but he never invites me :D

I would probably not plan anything and just get off of the ship and enjoy the island. There's a BBQ hut opened normally about 11:00 to 2:00 - it's included - no extra charge. There's a couple of stores for shopping. You can rent paddle boats, etc. There's a list of things on the Disney Cruise site to rent. There's also an Adults only area.

Enjoy The Wonder - she's Wonderful :)

First of all, welcome to CC! Cruise Critic is a great source for info (although, if you haven't seen it, check our dis boards dot com).

If you call Disney they can answer your questions about baby supplies. Excursions/beach info can be found here by viewing the Caribbean boards.

Early Dining: we did Disney Dream with our 4 yr old DGD in December. We were signed up or late dining, asked to switch and were allowed to after the first night - much easier timing for most kids. You can finish dinner and then hit the shows if you have early dining; an afternoon nap might help.

Castaway Cay: our DGD didn't like the beach there (some shells in the sand), so we spent time at a little water sprinkler area they had at Castaway.

Yes, you can book transfers through Disney and, unlike any other port I've sailed from, they seem tobe a better deal than private carrier (at least for a family of 3 or 4).

Hey, what's yor sail date? We're doing the Wonder with ou DGD Oct 19.

Two tips: you can bring an item (autograph book, pillowcase, etc.), drop it off at Customer Service and they'll have all the characters sign it and return it to your cabin the last night. Also, when you board consider signing up at the Service Desk for the Tea Party or your 3 y old - it supposedly is limited and it's first come, first served.

Hope some of that helps!

PS: check out Disney Roll Calls on here and you'll find others on your cruise.

7) How easy is it to get strollers/bottle sterilizer/pack&play from the ship?

They will provide the pack n play (with sheets) and diaper Genie, but that's about it. They don't supply bottle sterilizers, but at 8 months you shouldn't really need them. Maybe use the Playtex with the disposable liners and bring some dish soap to clean the nipples and rings out in the sink.

If you make a Palo reservation and do not cancel it at least a day in advance you may be charged. The cancellation rules will be noted when you make an online reservation.I would guess the same policy applies to the nursery, but I used the nursery only once, several years ago, so I am not sure.

We didn't do a shore excursion in Key West -- we just walked around on our own. At Castaway Cay, my kids enjoyed the stingray adventure once they were 5 or so. There's no need for excursions with young kids, because the ocean and play areas will keep them engaged.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

1. The birth certificate is the required document. We can debate all day whether the passport is a "should." It does provide additional protection in an emergency,

2. If you do not cancel within the required time, you will be charged. Palo dinner must be cancelled by 2 pm on the day of the dinner; brunch must be cancelled by the end of the day before. The nursery people really try to work with you, allowing you to change times, etc. But you must give notice to cancel a session.

3. There are sometimes 3pm matinees. It is a long story, but basically if they don't need a rehearsal, they'll do a matinee. If a rehearsal is needed, that is "closed," so there will be no matinee.

4. There is no way to quote you odds. The bigger your party and the more full the ship is, the more difficult it is to be moved. However, if you don't get it in advance, go to "dining changes" after boarding and ask if you can be moved at that time.

5. Key West is EASY. There is no need to book a costly DCL excursion. There is the trolley/train that operates as a "Hop on, hop off" if you do it on your own (thru DCL, it is a single loop). There is a little aquarium right at the dock area. Best of all, there is a CVS about 3 blocks away--where you can get any needed baby items or other necessities.

Nassau--stay on the ship and enjoy it while it is half empty.

Castaway Cay--easiest beach ever. Just enjoy. No need to book anything in advance if you want a beach day.

6. Yes, you can book transfers thru DCL. It is probably cheaper to go private with a group of 6 (DCL will charge for 5 as a child under 3 is not charged).

7. Strollers are available at Guest Services. A deposit is charged to your stateroom account and removed when the stroller is returned. Pack and play and diaper genie will be supplied by your stateroom host.

I just got back from the Fantasy.

I ended up not going to Palo for brunch on the last day because my pants were not up to the dress code.

I decided it wasnt worth unpacking and going back upstairs so I passed.

I never cancelled and was not charged.

You have to sign for that charge ;)

I just got back from the Fantasy.

I ended up not going to Palo for brunch on the last day because my pants were not up to the dress code.

I decided it wasnt worth unpacking and going back upstairs so I passed.

I never cancelled and was not charged.

You have to sign for that charge ;)

Hope you still tipped the waiter?

Not really fair for them to lose out on a tip right because of your choice of pants right?

ex techie

Thanks for the responses, everyone. We will be on the Oct. 12 sailing. I think I will book one Palo dinner and one brunch for the hubby and me. We may actually rent a minivan for the entire week & park at the terminal. We have to rent a car anyway since we're staying in Houston for a few days beforehand, and we can get a great rate on Hotwire. It turns out to be about the same as SuperShuttle. Feels a bit wasteful to rent a car and park it for so long, but it's not more expensive and might be more convenient. Still need to call Disney and see what they charge for transfers...

Personally I'm glad Palo turned him away. It's nice to know that they actually expect people to put on a decent pair of pants and collared shirt to eat at Palo.

I think you assumed too much.

I was wearing a very nice pair of pants. They actually cost more than my fitted dress pants. I was wearing a pressed collared shirt but no tie.

You make it sound like I showed up in shorts and flip flops. :P

I was wearing a very nice pair of pants. They actually cost more than my fitted dress pants. I was wearing a pressed collared shirt but no tie.

So what did the Maitre'd say about the pants you were wearing?

What was wrong with them?

ex techie

What does cost have to do with anything?

What I'm having trouble with is that it was BRUNCH. Brunch is much more casual than dinner.....as long as they weren't denim jeans or pants with holes in them, I can't even imagine that they would ask you to go change.

Polo shirts and khaki's are accepted for brunch. :confused::confused:

Archived