Just booked Xunantunich!

iheartmarshall

DH and I are cruising with Carnival in May 2014 and today, they finally posted the Belize excursions and we snatched up Xunantunich! We've been talking about visiting these ruins for months and are very excited that it's booked. I researched quite a bit among Xunantunich, Altun Ha, and even Tulum, but Xunantunich seems like the best option for us. Now I just hope the weather is nice when we visit because I want to climb to the top!

Now that it's booked, I must ask -- do any of you have tips regarding visiting the ruins you'd like to share? I already know to wear tennis shoes but I'm curious what other insight you may have. Thanks in advance!

On the grounds when you start heading towards the main structure there is very little shade, so snatch it up when you can. Stand under the allspice tree (My husband said 'That's an actual thing? I thought allspice was a mix of all spices. Like all dressed chips.' Good thing he's cute!)

Bug spray, good shoes (like you mentioned), some cash for the little market vendors along the way or for extras at lunch (great lunch btw!)

It's quite a climb ...ImageUploadedByForums1376759249.127496.jpg.1ce9476ca6f6da184fe098afe5fe1735.jpg

... but once you get up there the view is beautiful ...

ImageUploadedByForums1376759308.760766.jpg.d5f2eb80dbe3352debc42948e5706ca2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Allt hat and remember than there is a steep hill up to the ruins to navigate as well. Sometimes the ferryman lets peole help turn the crank. Go for younger kids. There is a small crafts market by the ferry, if you're looking for odds and ends, you'll have some time after coming back before the bus leaves to shop.

Lunch in San Ignacio is pretty good too. Bring $ as in US$1 bills, nothing larger than a $5 in denomination; drinks, especially beer, and ice cream are extra.

Archived