Buzios, Brazil

Mura

We are interested in visiting the Emerencias Reserve from Buzios. We will be there one day on a cruise. Does anyone know how far the Reserve is from the port? Can we do it by cab? Are there tour agencies would would schedule a tour?

I have looked but so far all I have found is day tours from Rio to Buzios, which isn't what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance if you can give me any help,

Mura

mura@speakeasy.net

Thanks for those links. I did find taxi information although it's not possible for ME to see how they compare to the port. But I would guess that Buzios isn't different from other cruise ports and taxis will be at the dock.

I was able to determine that a cab from the port to the center looks to cost about R30 (apx. $15) but I have no idea what it would cost to go to the Reserve.

I am also assuming there will be a representative on board that morning who could tell us how to do it.

Mura

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for those links. I did find taxi information although it's not possible for ME to see how they compare to the port. But I would guess that Buzios isn't different from other cruise ports and taxis will be at the dock.

I was able to determine that a cab from the port to the center looks to cost about R30 (apx. $15) but I have no idea what it would cost to go to the Reserve.

I am also assuming there will be a representative on board that morning who could tell us how to do it.

Mura

Don't take a taxi from the port to the city center, it's a waste of money and you will miss the beautiful views of Buzios!

You can easily have a 15/20 min+ walk and with a very very pleasant view as you can see in this picture:

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/77713279.jpg

Or, if you prefer, you can take a mini bus that only the locals know about (it's about R$ 2,00) for a 5 min trip to the city centre...to find it, ask the locals about the "van that goes to "Rua das Pedras" and they will show you where to get it! It's safe, easy and fast ! :)

Good to know! I wasn't planning on a taxi to city center anyway, just trying to figure out if we can get to the Reserve.

But I'm not going to worry to much! We may just walk around ...

We're definitely NOT going to the beach! That just isn't our "thing".

Mura

Good to know! I wasn't planning on a taxi to city center anyway, just trying to figure out if we can get to the Reserve.

But I'm not going to worry to much! We may just walk around ...

We're definitely NOT going to the beach! That just isn't our "thing".

Mura

I personally don't know the Reserve or its location, but I am going to Buzios in November, and maybe I can get informed if you want...when are you visiting Buzios?

December!

Just bear in mind that December is going to be very hot and humid for hiking around in that reserve. The sun is tropical, so make sure you are protected from getting burned and have lots of water to keep well hydrated.

Also......

When you say you are not beach people, understand that a lot of Brazilians simply go to the beach for a cooler ocean breeze and a nice view while they drink some ice-cold beer, so you might feel comfortable joining them in this typical activity. :-)

Thanks for the advice. I do know about the weather to expect there!

But having a cold beer in the coolness of a nice breeze does sound very attractive!

That's a good point about hiking around the Reserve in all that heat, though.

Mura

No, I haven't. We haven't done that much South America, although some. In 1974 we had a week in Rio, but that's the only Brazilian city we've visited. We did the Buenos Aires-Santiago cruise with NCL after Ren's demise (and before Oceania's birth), and we did Quito and the Galapagos in 1989. That's pretty much it.

The reserve just looked interesting. But you're probably right that it will be too hot for me to really enjoy.

Mura

• 3 weeks later...

We visited Buzios in November 2012. Since I am an avid birder, I asked the tour desk about this nature preserve. They made some phone calls for me and found out that the preserve is no longer open for visitors. I was very disappointed!

Instead, we walked into town, turned left on the first street, and found the trolley tour office. The tour took us around the entire coastline. The scenery is beautiful and the trolley tour was well worth it. They also provided cold water and refreshments during photo stops.

We visited Buzios in November 2012. Since I am an avid birder, I asked the tour desk about this nature preserve. They made some phone calls for me and found out that the preserve is no longer open for visitors.

That was almost a full year ago. IMO it would be worth checking the status when you arrive. Things in Brazil do change.

Also, Brazilians are very helpful, sometimes to the point of giving incorrect information, rather than none, in their zeal to be "helpful" and polite.

So unless I overheard the person who called actually make the calls and verified with whom he had spoken, I would not take the information as gospel until I myself personally checked with more than one assumed-to-be-knowledgable person there on site. (Just the way things work here.)

CORRECTION!!

I pulled out my notes from Buzios.

It was the Taua Ecological Reserve that we couldn't visit. The man who ran it died, and it was closed to visitors.

I do not remember the results of my inquiries about the Emerencias Reserve. That one may still be open.

The last poster was correct - things DO change from minute to minute everywhere in South America. Sometimes even carefully-constructed plans don't work out!

We did this trip on the Marina in Nov. 2012, so if you have any questions, feel free to email me at variousmail at bellsouth dot net.

Ilene

Archived