Need opinions for our upcoming stop in Nassau

Gemynii

We'll be in Nassau on Tuesday, 12/10/13 from 8am-5pm and are planning to do the self walking tour here: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/newprovidence/0251010008.html When we get to the corner of West Street and Marlborough, we will detour to the Fish Fry to try out Goldie's before continuing the rest of the tour.

I just wanted to know if anyone had an opinion on what time we should actually leave the ship to start the tour. The Frommers site states that the tour only takes about 2 hours and even though we will probably go a bit slower since I plan on taking tons of pictures, I don't want to get to Goldie's before they open at 12pm.

I'm wondering if we should just sleep in until about 8am, have breakfast onboard around 9am and leave the ship around 10am so that it times out better.

Thanks!

That sounds like a good plan, 10-12 for the walking tour. You might want to hop on the jitney at West Street and George to go over to the Fish Fry. It's about a mile and a half walk and you might be ready for a little sitting after the walking tour. :)

That sounds like a good plan, 10-12 for the walking tour. You might want to hop on the jitney at West Street and George to go over to the Fish Fry. It's about a mile and a half walk and you might be ready for a little sitting after the walking tour. :)

Thanks for the reply.

On Google maps, it shows the walking tour plus to and from the Fish Fry to be about 3.6 miles. Since we'll probably still be recouping a bit from walking 3.5 miles in Key West two days before, a short ride on the jitney halfway through the tour sounds good.

Aren't West St and George St parallel? It's kind of confusing when I look at the map since there's West, West Hill and West Bay. If we go to the Fish Fry after checking out St. Fancis Church #13 (which Google maps shows on West St not Delancy),we will have to backtrack to get to George St.

Unless we head up George St after seeing Government House #11 and go past Christ Church #16 to Vendue House #15 then catch a jitney (if that's where the stop is) and past the Hilton #14 on our way to the Fish Fry. After eating lunch, we could always do the tour backward down West St, east on West Hill and Duke, then north at Market St to see tour stops 12, 13 and the Greek church.

Can you tell I'm a planner? Is there a site where I can view pickup locations for the jitney?

470640-mp0405nassauwalk.jpg

Thanks for the reply.

On Google maps, it shows the walking tour plus to and from the Fish Fry to be about 3.6 miles. Since we'll probably still be recouping a bit from walking 3.5 miles in Key West two days before, a short ride on the jitney halfway through the tour sounds good.

Aren't West St and George St parallel? It's kind of confusing when I look at the map since there's West, West Hill and West Bay. If we go to the Fish Fry after checking out St. Fancis Church #13 (which Google maps shows on West St not Delancy),we will have to backtrack to get to George St.

Unless we head up George St after seeing Government House #11 and go past Christ Church #16 to Vendue House #15 then catch a jitney (if that's where the stop is) and past the Hilton #14 on our way to the Fish Fry. After eating lunch, we could always do the tour backward down West St, east on West Hill and Duke, then north at Market St to see tour stops 12, 13 and the Greek church.

Can you tell I'm a planner? Is there a site where I can view pickup locations for the jitney?

Pick up point for the Jitney is George Street and Bay Street (or west bay if you want to call it that). West Street is parallel to George a little further down.

Vendue House is closed due to a fire back a year or more ago. It's in the process of being rebuilt, but not opened yet Probably another year or work reconstructing and getting the artifacts back in place.

Be a bit cautious as you leave the main areas. We do have some crime here. No jewelry, don't flash cash, and be aware of your surroundings.

After #13, I'd back track to Cumberland and grab the jitney at George, or across from the HIlton on Marlborough.

There is no Map of the jitney route. Actually, there not really an official route. Each jitney is independently owned and operated. The one you want is #10 or 12 a. It runs along West Bay Street to Sandy Port (some go beyond). Then returns. You can flag them down along the way if you don't see a bus stop.

Pick up point for the Jitney is George Street and Bay Street (or west bay if you want to call it that). West Street is parallel to George a little further down.

Vendue House is closed due to a fire back a year or more ago. It's in the process of being rebuilt, but not opened yet Probably another year or work reconstructing and getting the artifacts back in place.

Be a bit cautious as you leave the main areas. We do have some crime here. No jewelry, don't flash cash, and be aware of your surroundings.

After #13, I'd back track to Cumberland and grab the jitney at George, or across from the HIlton on Marlborough.

There is no Map of the jitney route. Actually, there not really an official route. Each jitney is independently owned and operated. The one you want is #10 or 12 a. It runs along West Bay Street to Sandy Port (some go beyond). Then returns. You can flag them down along the way if you don't see a bus stop.

Thanks, scubagirl.

How does this sound?...

After Government House, we'll head up George St (passing Christ Church on the way) to catch the #10 or #12a jitney to the Fish Fry. After eating, we would head east on the road along the beach until we reach West Bay St. We would continue east until we get to West St where we would go south (passing the Greek Church) until we see St Francis Church. We'd then turn onto West Hill St heading east until we get to Queen St. Then north until we get to Marlborough where we can get some still shots of the Hilton. Then east until we get to Bay St and the Straw Market.

And some more questions if you have the time...

- Is Vendue House worth getting exterior pictures in the condition it's in now?

- Would you consider our route to be part of the "safer" main area?

(DH looks intimidating, but I know that wouldn't keep someone with a weapon away.)

- Will it be okay to wear my wedding ring?

(It's not huge and I don't even know if I could get it off.)

- Will having my camera constantly out attract unwanted attention?

(It's a bridge so it has the appearance of a dslr, but it's really only valued at $150.)

I really appreciate any help you can give me. It sure is good to have a local on here. :)

Thanks again.

Thanks, scubagirl.

How does this sound?...

After Government House, we'll head up George St (passing Christ Church on the way) to catch the #10 or #12a jitney to the Fish Fry. After eating, we would head east on the road along the beach until we reach West Bay St. We would continue east until we get to West St where we would go south (passing the Greek Church) until we see St Francis Church. We'd then turn onto West Hill St heading east until we get to Queen St. Then north until we get to Marlborough where we can get some still shots of the Hilton. Then east until we get to Bay St and the Straw Market.

And some more questions if you have the time...

- Is Vendue House worth getting exterior pictures in the condition it's in now?

- Would you consider our route to be part of the "safer" main area?

(DH looks intimidating, but I know that wouldn't keep someone with a weapon away.)

- Will it be okay to wear my wedding ring?

(It's not huge and I don't even know if I could get it off.)

- Will having my camera constantly out attract unwanted attention?

(It's a bridge so it has the appearance of a dslr, but it's really only valued at $150.)

I really appreciate any help you can give me. It sure is good to have a local on here. :)

Thanks again.

My thoughts would be to stay clear of West St .. I know the church is there, but an Embassy worker got mugged there and there were other incidents in that area.

GO to the Church and backtrack.

Wedding rings etc are fine... just don't flash the big stuff.

and don't fuss with your camera. Have the lens in place etc

My camera was stolen at Atlantis Marina Village while it was at my elbow on a bench. I was putting away my lens. When I told security.. they asked me if I was sure I had a camera with me.. Duh.. why would I just have a lens with me.. stupid. eh?

The Fish fry IS on west bay street.. just next to junkanoo beach, and just across from Fort Charlotte. You'll find the whole area is pretty compact.

My only issue is the area around west and augusta st. Take west hill back to cumberland. Lots of traffic and people around that area.

Vendue House is a construction site. It's in town.. don't make a special effort. You'll see it on your way to the bus stop and again as you get back into town. Is was all scaffolding last time I was down there. They are building a nice courtyard along side .. by the wharf.. will be great when it's finished.

Edited by scubagirrl

My thoughts would be to stay clear of West St .. I know the church is there, but an Embassy worker got mugged there and there were other incidents in that area.

GO to the Church and backtrack.

Wedding rings etc are fine... just don't flash the big stuff.

and don't fuss with your camera. Have the lens in place etc

My camera was stolen at Atlantis Marina Village while it was at my elbow on a bench. I was putting away my lens. When I told security.. they asked me if I was sure I had a camera with me.. Duh.. why would I just have a lens with me.. stupid. eh?

The Fish fry IS on west bay street.. just next to junkanoo beach, and just across from Fort Charlotte. You'll find the whole area is pretty compact.

My only issue is the area around west and augusta st. Take west hill back to cumberland. Lots of traffic and people around that area.

Vendue House is a construction site. It's in town.. don't make a special effort. You'll see it on your way to the bus stop and again as you get back into town. Is was all scaffolding last time I was down there. They are building a nice courtyard along side .. by the wharf.. will be great when it's finished.

Okay. I'd rather be safe than sorry, so we'll just go by Graycliff on West Hill St then backtrack to either Cumberland or George to catch the jitney... we'll avoid West St all together.

I mentioned walking the road along the beach until we got to West Bay because on Google maps, there appears to be a road that runs between West Bay and the beach. Would it be safe to walk from the Fish Fry to the Straw Market? Or should we just get beach pictures while we're there and then take the jitney back?

My wedding rings aren't as "blingy" as a lot of the newer ones. They were my grandmother's rings and were passed down to me. One band is just a larger diamond with a couple smaller ones on both sides and the other band is 5 small ones. It didn't attract any attention in Mexico, but we stayed to mostly tourist areas. Awful picture, but you can see it in the 1st picture on my post here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=34609162&postcount=27

My camera doesn't have interchangeable lenses, just a telescoping lense. Also, I will have it on a strap around my neck. I posted a stock picture of my camera in this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39049206&postcount=190

Thank you so much for all your help. It's our 1st time visiting any of the islands in the Bahamas and I just want to make sure that DH, myself and our 13 yr old DD are safe while still having fun exploring as many historical sites as we can.

Again, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer all my questions.

Thanks for asking all these questions. I am also a planner and will take into account all the advice given. We are in Nassau on Dec 31 and I was planning on walking around also.

If you are concerned about your ring, what I do sometimes is twist my ring around towards my palm so the diamond isn't seen.

Let us know how your day went.

Okay. I'd rather be safe than sorry, so we'll just go by Graycliff on West Hill St then backtrack to either Cumberland or George to catch the jitney... we'll avoid West St all together.

I mentioned walking the road along the beach until we got to West Bay because on Google maps, there appears to be a road that runs between West Bay and the beach. Would it be safe to walk from the Fish Fry to the Straw Market? Or should we just get beach pictures while we're there and then take the jitney back?

What you are looking at on the map is not a road - per se.. but the entry to parking along the beach.

You should be safe walking West Bay Street. The police station is right across the street from the beach, and there is another police annex at the Fish Fry.

The walk is quite lovely if you have the time and not too full from eating.

Thanks for asking all these questions. I am also a planner and will take into account all the advice given. We are in Nassau on Dec 31 and I was planning on walking around also.

If you are concerned about your ring, what I do sometimes is twist my ring around towards my palm so the diamond isn't seen.

Let us know how your day went.

I'm glad this thread helped you as well. I may do as you suggest with my rings... just in case.

I plan to do a review with pics after I get back. I'll just need a few days to get my land legs back and upload the photos.

I'll probably start it on Monday the 16th when DH is back at work and DD is back at school, so I won't have any distractions.

What you are looking at on the map is not a road - per se.. but the entry to parking along the beach.

You should be safe walking West Bay Street. The police station is right across the street from the beach, and there is another police annex at the Fish Fry.

The walk is quite lovely if you have the time and not too full from eating.

Thank you. :)

I plan to edit the walking tour and map today to reflect my new route. Maybe I'll post it here afterwards to get opinions on it before printing it out. Then, if everything looks good, other CC members can use it as well if they wish.

I plan to edit the walking tour and map today to reflect my new route. Maybe I'll post it here afterwards to get opinions on it before printing it out. Then, if everything looks good, other CC members can use it as well if they wish.

That would be very kind of you - I'll be traveling alone next year, and a "safe" map would be appreciated.

That would be very kind of you - I'll be traveling alone next year, and a "safe" map would be appreciated.

Finally got done editing the walking tour instructions and map. I have it in 2 pdf files attached to this post... it said file size too large when I tried just 1 pdf.

I think I managed to include as much detail as possible (Distances calculated my Google Map Labs).

Ya'll let me know what you think.

Scubagirrl,

If you're still around and have a few spare minutes, can you look over the "safe tour" that I did to see if I made any big errors. Thank you!

Nassau Walking Tour 1.pdf

Nassau Walking Tour 2.pdf

I noticed some wording errors in the PDFs I posted as well as a duplicate page, so these might be better.

The 1st PDF is the actual tour. The 2nd and 3rd are show both parts of the tour on satellite maps... not really necessary, but there if anyone wants them.

:)

Nassau Walking Tour Map & Instructions.pdf

Nassau Walking Tour Pt 1 Satellite Map.pdf

Nassau Walking Tour Pt 2 Satellite Map.pdf

I noticed some wording errors in the PDFs I posted as well as a duplicate page, so these might be better.

The 1st PDF is the actual tour. The 2nd and 3rd are show both parts of the tour on satellite maps... not really necessary, but there if anyone wants them.

:)

Thank you for doing this! We plan to do our own self guided tour of Nassau and this will be very help. We appreciate the effort that you've put into this. :D

Thank you for doing this! We plan to do our own self guided tour of Nassau and this will be very help. We appreciate the effort that you've put into this. :D

You're welcome!

Let me know how it worked out when you get back.

• 4 months later...