Formal night - Men's shoe question

bigshaun

My husband will be wearing dark dress pants and dress shirt for formal night. Trying to save space in luggage and would love to avoid packing his big bulky dress shoes for something he would only be wearing for an hour or so.

He just got new dark brown sandals (not flip flops) tonight, and was wondering if it would be acceptable to Carnival if he wore them on formal night, with his dress pants and shirt. I know it would look crazy but they would only be seen for a few minutes. What do you think? I don't want to break any rules or get stopped at the door.

Here's a link to the type of shoe I'm talking about:

http://www.shoebuy.com/nunn-bush-reynald/588798/1215983

It's Carnival , no one will stop you... Have fun

For me / I would match those babies with a good pair of white socks

And if I felt really like dressing I be dazzle them

Of course you could just go to the buffet if you don't want to play properly,

Or you could mind your own business and not be so judgemental.

For the last 3 years or so on my 30+ Carnival cruises during that time I have worn Khaki slacks, shirt and tie, a blue blazer, and black slip on deck shoes. I have never been questioned. I have even been told by one crew member that he liked my casual/formal look.

Dress shoes ARE bulky to pack. My DH rents them on the ship. $15 for the week. Picks them up day 1 for steak house that evening then has them the rest of the week.

I didnt think they were renting that stuff any longer.. when was this?

Or you could mind your own business and not be so judgemental.

For the last 3 years or so on my 30+ Carnival cruises during that time I have worn Khaki slacks, shirt and tie, a blue blazer, and black slip on deck shoes. I have never been questioned. I have even been told by one crew member that he liked my casual/formal look.

Nice look. Sorta like mr Howell

Only kidiing. I agree with u

Sandals in the dining room is not a problem. What =is= a problem are old geezers by the pool in Bermuda shorts, black socks and dress shoes.

So they dressed a little too early for dinner on elegant night and are whiling away the time by the pool. I don't see what the big deal is.

Of course you could just go to the buffet if you don't want to play properly,

Sadly, Carnival really does not stop anyone on formal night-from jeans to the light weight pool pants that stop above the knees and a t-shirt, so I think dark pants, dress shirt and dark sandals is dressy compared these thoughtless people on my last cruise out of Boston.

There are no formal nights, otherwise a dark shirt and dark pants would not be permitted. The sandals will be fine, this is Carnival, about as anything-goes as it gets, especially if you call them "fancy sandals" or "dressy sandals". I have found from reading these boards if you describe just about anything as "fancy", "Sparkly" or "dressy" then it is automatically acceptable.

My husband will be wearing dark dress pants and dress shirt for formal night. Trying to save space in luggage and would love to avoid packing his big bulky dress shoes for something he would only be wearing for an hour or so.

He just got new dark brown sandals (not flip flops) tonight, and was wondering if it would be acceptable to Carnival if he wore them on formal night, with his dress pants and shirt. I know it would look crazy but they would only be seen for a few minutes. What do you think? I don't want to break any rules or get stopped at the door.

1) Years ago I worked for the man who owned all the McDonalds restaurants in the Cincinnati area. Whenever I saw him he was wearing a really expensive suit and a pair of old tennis shoes.

2) When I started cruising I wore suits and dress shoes on formal nights. My last cruise I wore a Hawaiian shirt, slacks, and black sneakers.

We have two cruises in the next 60 days and are not able to drive so luggage has to be considered so the suit coat is one thing that has to go. He is going to wear dress pants and shirt, probably loafers, and we are sorry if others have a problem with it!

Let hubby wear what he wants. :)

They are fine! For some, packing an extra pair of shoes isn't a big deal. For us, when you have a husband who wears a size 13 and a son who wears a size 11 1/2, plus myself and 2 other kids, it becomes a big deal! We will wear bulky sneakers on and pack a pair of sandals. I totally get what you mean! We are even dressing more casual than we did last year as we only wore that outfit for 2 hrs! We are not formal at all. You will see all kinds of versions of "formal" that night. It's Carnival. Go eat the steak and lobster and have a grand time....in your sandals! Don't think twice about it.:D

Who really cares? Not me. We are flying to venice for the sunshine B2B and need to conserve the weight of luggage. Searched for the lightest weight shoes and sketchers was the brand. Found a dressy slip on for hubby that will look good with dressy clothes then with jeans. I've been to resturants where kids have been formal for prom, or people have just come from the ball game and my food and experience is not ruined by how a person dresses. It's a vacation for goodness sake. Enjoy it however you like it.

I wear my nicer sandals, kaki pants, with a nice shirt on formals. I am on vacation and don't worry about what others think of what I am wearing...(just my opinion though)

This is just a thought, but have you considered maybe trading 3 or 4 pairs of the shoes you're packing for your husband's one pair of formal shoes?

Much rather see a speedo than an old suit or tux that doesn't fit or 30 year old clothes

Its sad some people cant "keep their eyes on their own paper"

Some men think they look good in speedos-most women will disagree-you can keep your eyes on your own paper and still see at 6'5" man walk by your table in long shorts and see poor dress and lack of consideration for those who even come close to a dress code.

Archived