Gatun Locks excursion from port in Colon

CaribbeanBound

If it is just the two of you, I would just get a taxi at the port area. they will wait for you as you tour the locks . Negotiate the price and length of time with the driver before you leave Colon.

At Gatun Locks there is a canal employee that gives you a history of the locks, viewing stands,and hopefully you will see a ship go through the locks.

We arrived about 10am with our private tour of eight people. it was so interesting to see the locks from land side. The next day we went through the locks on our full transit.

You can get a taxi from either of the ports in Colon ["Homeport" - Royal Caribbean ships usually or "Colon 2000" usually Carnval Corp ships]. All taxis in Panama must be yellow with checkered stripe. Negotiate a price and return time before leaving. If you don't talk to the cabbie with his cab I'd check that out. Many cabs in Panama are tiny. If English-speaking is important, consider that as well. You can go to the Gatun Lock observation area. The Canal ACP person's explanation will be very basic, and brief, so read up on the Canal before you go. You can also go to the new Atlantic lock observation center where you can see the construction of the new set of Atlantic locks.

Many ships also offer a tour and there are some companies often referred to on this thread that do private tours. And increasingly there are vans who are looking to sell tours on the spot.

It's not clear if you are actually going through the Canal or just making a port stop in Colon.

Regards, Richard

CaribbeanBound,

You are so close to this manmade wonder of the world, I hope you will go see the Gatun locks and also they have a observation place of the new lock contruction outside of Colon.

You just might book a full transit while you are board for a future cruise:D

Loved the Euqinox, I did a Eastern Med on her two years ago.

enjoy your cruise and the Sunset Bar at sailaway, with you feet on grass.:)

Archived