Orlando Before Cruise

travln1234

I'm reposting this here. Not sure it's where it needs to be in the other forum. Just wondering if anyone can direct me to threads/trip reports regarding visiting the big mouse in Orlando, followed by a cruise? I'll have my 7 year old with me, and while I'm open to other cruise lines, we'll probably stick with RCI for this one. Looking to find which port(s) is the best option, and best modes of transportation from hotel to pier. I'm planning on staying on-property near the big mouse. :) I've searched threads, but haven't quite found what I'm looking for. Any experience hitting up the amusement parks followed by a cruise with a young one in tow is also much appreciated! Also wondering if it's best to do the cruise before or after amusement parks. Thanks!

I'm reposting this here. Not sure it's where it needs to be in the other forum. Just wondering if anyone can direct me to threads/trip reports regarding visiting the big mouse in Orlando, followed by a cruise? I'll have my 7 year old with me, and while I'm open to other cruise lines, we'll probably stick with RCI for this one. Looking to find which port(s) is the best option, and best modes of transportation from hotel to pier. I'm planning on staying on-property near the big mouse. :) I've searched threads, but haven't quite found what I'm looking for. Any experience hitting up the amusement parks followed by a cruise with a young one in tow is also much appreciated! Also wondering if it's best to do the cruise before or after amusement parks. Thanks!

We live in Orlando and would suggest Port Canaveral which is the closest port to Disney. I'm not real familiar with transportation. I know Disney has a bus to the DCL terminal. You may want to ask to see if they would allow you to take their bus since you are going to be a guest at Disney. A lot of hotels in the area refer to Mears Transportation so that may be an option. IMO I would do the parks and then the cruise. You will be on the go in the parks and the cruise will be a nice way to relax afterwards. We have been on the Freedom of the Seas out of Canaveral and it was a great ship. Have fun and do what's best for you and your family!

If you do Disney's Magical Express to Disney, just take it back to the Orlando Airport and then take a RCCL transfer to the port. If you rent a car, see if you can return it by Port Canaveral (several people have talked about doing this) or return it to the airport & take cruiseline transfers.

Depending on the time of year, RCCL does sail from Tampa which is about 1 hour the other direction from Disney.

If it is just the two of you, it will likely be cheaper taking RCI transfer from MCO to Port Canaveral (and back).

I agree about doing the parks first. We did that last December and came home rested because we had the cruise to recover from the hectic parks.

We are doing the mouse in January, then renting a car and driving down to Fort Lauderdale to get on the Independence of the Seas.

It is a 3-4 hour drive and there are car rental agencies fairly close to the cruise terminal. We are renting a mini van from Dollar, but I think any of the car rental companies would work.

Also, out of Port Canaveral, the Enchantment of the Seas does 3 and 4 night cruises year-round. You can also go out of Tampa about 90 minutes west of Orlando, but, the pickings are slimmer. You can't beat the Freedom, though, if you can do the 7 nighter!

Archived